Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
well I think we established that those character are rare & so I was quite happy to swap them for ones that sony/ADe can display , on the basis that I will not meet them again in any future book - I have already read the relevant chapter & am unlikely to return to it - I am just puzzled now as to where this additional code came from.

I cannot reproduce the extra code creation - i am not motivated to roll back to 7.1 as I very much doubt that is relevant.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
that is NOT the case. I have the epub backed up from before I tried to alter those characters; there is no sign of that added code in the backup. I did all edits in Sigil 7.1 (possibly via book view) so sigil must have added the code QED
What styles are you using in your stylesheet? I'd guess that the calibre class contains those mso... entries.

If you define a paragraph to use a class then merging/creating new paragraphs in certain ways will cause Book View to use the values of the style for the class to apply to your new text (it can't use the class name as a p class might not apply to a span class, etc.). This is likely to be what is happening to your code.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=9.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The ADE default fonts don't cover the Latin-1 Supplement Unicode block.

You can add the book to Calibre, do an epub to epub conversion and have Calibre embed Arial, Times Roman or another system font.

Since you're familiar with Sigil you could also manually embed a font. :-)
Why do an ePub > ePub conversion when it's easy to add embedded fonts to the ePub without ever needing to convert?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
What styles are you using in your stylesheet? I'd guess that the calibre class contains those mso... entries.
no - the main body class is
.calibre {
border: 0;
border-collapse: collapse;
border-spacing: 0;
display: block;
font-family: "Liberation";
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 0
}

i cannot see any mso stuff anywhere in the book, except for where I edited those special characters

it is not a huge issue - i don't recall exactly what i did to cause this & have not been able to simply re-create the effect.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since these characters usually indicate the length of a vowel, you lose bits of information, if you replace them with unaccented characters.

IMHO, it'd be better, if you replaced them with vowels with a circumflex:

ā = â, ē = ê, ī = î, ō = ô, ū = û

(Several Latin textbooks use this transliteration method, and ADE supports them because they're used in French.)
ē = ê is not correct. ē is telling the reader how to pronounce the vowel e.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since you have a 650, create a fonts directory in the root of the 650.

Now go to http://www.mediafire.com/download/om...L_-_Hinted.rar and download the RAR file containing Charis SIL (modified by me and includes smallcaps). Either version will display the same with ADE and on the 650.

Add the following code to the ePub's CSS...

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: "serif";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILR.ttf)
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILB.ttf)
}
@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILI.ttf)
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CharisSILBI.ttf)
}
body {
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify
}
If ther eis already a body style, you can just delete the original one for this one. After you put this in the CSS, it will display all the characters in the ePub correctly. Also, (IMHO) I do think you will like the way it looks better then using the default font.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
i appreciate that but I figure it is close enough for one short story that I will not be reading again.

the short story contains 3 or 4 "godbuk" extracts like this with "olde worlde" made up spellings & lines over vowels,
a e i o all get the horizontal bar treatment.

it is something he just faked up for the plot so I doubt I'll meet it elsewhere
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So does ê.

While this letter is nowadays mainly used in French, where it traditionally marked a long vowel (and often an omitted s), it's also used in many Latin books instead of ē.

Therefore, letters with a circumflex are the best replacement for letters with a macron and have been used to mark long vowels in textbooks for many different languages for quite some time until the advent of more precise pronunciation systems, e.g. IPA.

You may want to limit your comments to things you're actually familiar with.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote