Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for April?
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 8 19.51%
The American Senator by Anthony Trollope 12 29.27%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 6 14.63%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 17.07%
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles 4 9.76%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 19 46.34%
Animal Farm by George Orwell 16 39.02%
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek 6 14.63%
All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir 7 17.07%
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 7 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I voted for both A Study in Scarlet and Animal Farm as well as a couple of the others. I would be happy for either to win; I have read them both but a long time ago.

I really hoped the Trollope would win, as I haven't read that one, but unless there's a late surge, it doesn't look likely.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I went for Hawthorne, Trollope, Doyle and Orwell. It looks like it will be one of the last two. I wouldn't mind either--though I have a slight preference for Doyle as a result of watching Sherlock.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only saw one episode of Sherlock because it was on a commercial channel and I don't usually watch them. I thought it was brilliant and now want to see them all!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I only saw one episode of Sherlock because it was on a commercial channel and I don't usually watch them. I thought it was brilliant and now want to see them all!
That was probably the version where the late Jeremy Brett plays Holmes. He was good I agree. When he was a young man he played 'Freddie' the young man who pursues Eliza Dolittle (Audry Hepburn) in "My Fair Lady." His versions of the stories do stick pretty well to Doyle's original stories.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That was probably the version where the late Jeremy Brett plays Holmes. He was good I agree. When he was a young man he played 'Freddie' the young man who pursues Eliza Dolittle (Audry Hepburn) in "My Fair Lady." His versions of the stories do stick pretty well to Doyle's original stories.
This is the new BBC series starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson in a contemporary setting where computers and cell phones are used with more frequency than spyglasses. Aside from the technology, it's very much in line with Doyle's creation.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I happen to really like Sherlock. I know it's a different take on Holmes and Watson, but it feels right.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I happen to really like Sherlock. I know it's a different take on Holmes and Watson, but it feels right.
I agree. Much moreso than CBS's Elementary. That one goes too far afield, in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I agree. Much moreso than CBS's Elementary. That one goes too far afield, in my opinion.
Elementary is good too.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Elementary is good too.
It's a lot of fun, I agree. But it's not Doyle's creation.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
This is the new BBC series starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson in a contemporary setting where computers and cell phones are used with more frequency than spyglasses. Aside from the technology, it's very much in line with Doyle's creation.
Yes, that's the one I saw just recently - brilliant.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's a lot of fun, I agree. But it's not Doyle's creation.
Nothing other then Doyle's books are his Holmes and Watson.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I love this show and have become quite the fan of Benedict Cumberbatch! I can't wait to see him in the new Star Trek movie.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I love this show and have become quite the fan of Benedict Cumberbatch! I can't wait to see him in the new Star Trek movie.
He does get around. I saw him not too long ago as Frankenstein's creation in a film version of the hit play where he and Jonny Lee Miller alternated from night to night playing Dr. Frankenstein and the creature. I believe they made two film versions as well, the other one starring Miller as the creature and Cumberbatch as the doctor. There were lots of changes from Mary Shelley's book, but it was far closer to the spirit of the original than was the classic starring Boris Karloff. I also just discovered he stared in a show called Hawking for the BBC; a dramatization of the early career of Stephen Hawking.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-S-006.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	103645  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Oh, yes. I realize this is getting a bit afield of the topic, but I couldn't resist sharing this photo I just found:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e4c6bbe137d1666bcc3359b0f205df69.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	103646  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Oh, yes. I realize this is getting a bit afield of the topic, but I couldn't resist sharing this photo I just found:

My husband and I were actually talking about this, this morning. Is that his given name? I can't imagine him as a baby or young child; talk about the burden of having a name "bigger" than you are.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-29-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typs
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote