Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Copyrighted files deleted. Do not upload copyrighted files again. This is your only warning.
Sorry if I have misunderstood something. Since it's free for everyone to download from Amazon, I didn't see the problem with uploading it. The author herself has even told people to share the link to download the book.

So posting a link to download the free of charge book is okej, but uploading it is not? Just want to do it right in the future. I'm not questioning anything.

Last edited by marp68; 05-10-2021 at 02:39 PM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I downloaded this eBook and it's a low-res graphic image for each page. Since you are in touch with the author, you really should tell the author to redo it properly. This is not how you make an eBook.
Oh, cool, thank you. I will tell her that, but do you have any suggestions for a good site for how to learn to do it better? Even I got interested now in how ebooks are made :-)
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As it is just a series of images being displayed in separate files, and the images are all the same size, I would change to stylesheet to:

Code:
.calibre {
  display: block;
  font-size: 1em;
  padding-left: 0;
  padding-right: 0;
  margin: 0;
}
.calibre1 {
  text-align: center;
  text-indent: 0;
}
.calibre2 {
  width: 100%;
}
That will centre each page image on the screen and size them to use the full width of the screen. It might be better to use "width: 100%", but that will probably depend on the exact aspect ratio of the images and screen involved. And I would remove the page_styles.css file as that is just reducing the view port available for the images.
Thank you so much. This is really interesting. Now I will try to learn more about these things.

So which should I go for, yours or JSWOLF's?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After converting this with Calibre 5.17, I made some slight changes to the CSS and in ADE 2.0.1 and Calibre's viewer, it works.

Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
img {
  max-height: 100%;
  max-width: 100%;
}
.calibre {
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  padding-left: 0;
  padding-right: 0;
}
.calibre1 {
}
.calibre2 {
  height: 100%;
  width: 100%;
}
Thank you so much. As I said to Davidfor, which of your edited versions should I go for would you say?

I will maybe try them both as well to see the differencies... :-)

Last edited by marp68; 05-10-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Oh, cool, thank you. I will tell her that, but do you have any suggestions for a good site for how to learn to do it better? Even I got interested now in how ebooks are made :-)
Looking at the ebook, I suspect the use of images is due to the layout of the pages with graphics. I would suggest that using the image sizing at 100% as suggested by @davidfor plus using larger images (current images are 529x755 pixels which would work on a 600x800 ereader but most newer ereaders have higher resolutions up to 1440x1920 pixels so possibly up the graphic resolution to 1200x1700 though that will need to be balanced against the increase in size of the ebook.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #21
marp68
Addict

Btw, do you edit the css from within Calibre or directly in the files?

And if I have to do it directly in the css files, how do I make the epub file again? Just zipping the files together again and call it epub seem a bit to easy I think...
Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #22
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the ebook, I suspect the use of images is due to the layout of the pages with graphics. I would suggest that using the image sizing at 100% as suggested by @davidfor plus using larger images (current images are 529x755 pixels which would work on a 600x800 ereader but most newer ereaders have higher resolutions up to 1440x1920 pixels so possibly up the graphic resolution to 1200x1700 though that will need to be balanced against the increase in size of the ebook.
I don't have a Kindle ereader, but suspect that the text and images must be shown okej in that reader. Since she didn't made it for Kobo.

Or am I missing something here. Would it even be better for a Kindle ereader?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Btw, do you edit the css from within Calibre or directly in the files?

And if I have to do it directly in the css files, how do I make the epub file again? Just zipping the files together again and call it epub seem a bit to easy I think...
I edited the file using Sigil instead of the calibre editor but both will open the epub and then save it. I also used calibre's Polish to do a lossless compression on the images which shrank the epub with cover a bit.

Edit: upload screenshots from a PW and a Forma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW4_page6.png
Views:	144
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	187051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma_page6.png
Views:	138
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	187052  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-10-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #24
marp68
Addict

Quote:
I edited the file using Sigil instead of the calibre editor but both will open the epub and then save it. I also used calibre's Polish to do a lossless compression on the images which shrank the epub with cover a bit.

Edit: upload screenshots from a PW and a Forma.
Thank you so much. I reimported it and it's now readable.

Just a question. There is still not possible to enlarge the letters. Is that because also the text in the page is made of an image? Only the page number to the right get bigger. Or is it possible to convert the text images to text, so one can use the letter resizing feature?

Last edited by marp68; 05-10-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #25
marp68
Addict

Thank you everyone.

I have email contact with her and will pass your recommendations on to her about book making.

Will try to learn how to edit css files directly in Calibre. This is very interesting.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thank you so much. I reimported it and it's now readable.

Just a question. There is still not possible to enlarge the letters. Is that because also the text in the page is made of an image? Only the page number to the right get bigger. Or is it possible to convert the text images to text, so one can use the letter resizing feature?
Looking at the layout of the book, it would be fun (for certain definitions of fun...) trying to keep the graphics and text looking good while allowing changing text size. It might be easier to convert the ebook to kepub to allow zooming the images.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Looking at the layout of the book, it would be fun (for certain definitions of fun...) trying to keep the graphics and text looking good while allowing changing text size. It might be easier to convert the ebook to kepub to allow zooming the images.
But if you have to zoom each page, it's not worth reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It would make more sense to me to have the text be reflowable and therefore more readable even if it means giving up some of the fancy text on image formatting. Plus that would also allow highlighting, dictionary lookup, etc., features that most e-book readers have come to expect.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-10-2021 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #29
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It would make more sense to me to have the text be reflowable and therefore more readable even if it means giving up some of the fancy text on image formatting. Plus that would also allow highlighting, dictionary lookup, etc., features that most e-book readers have come to expect.
Would it be possible to accomplish that for this book?
Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Would it be possible to accomplish that for this book?
It would mean going back to the original text file and reformatting it again. Might be easy or hard depending on how the book was created.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote