Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I also miss the physical Home button - now it's 2 taps to go to the home screen from inside a book
It would certainly be better if there was a setting to flip the layout of the screen for left-handed use. I'm left-handed, which means that I hold the Kindle in my RIGHT hand, so it doesn't bother me, but I can certainly see the annoyance. It would be worth making the suggestion to Amazon - they do listen to customer feedback.

How often do you need to go to the Home screen? I only ever do so when I finish a book and want to choose the next one, which is once every few days. Is making one additional tap every few days really something to cause irritation?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would certainly be better if there was a setting to flip the layout of the screen for left-handed use. I'm left-handed, which means that I hold the Kindle in my RIGHT hand, so it doesn't bother me, but I can certainly see the annoyance. It would be worth making the suggestion to Amazon - they do listen to customer feedback.
I did actually send them feedback a few weeks back. They could just change the zones so that most of the screen (including left) is used to page forward and then a small area on both sides to page back - would make far more sense to me than the current layout.

Quote:
How often do you need to go to the Home screen? I only ever do so when I finish a book and want to choose the next one, which is once every few days. Is making one additional tap every few days really something to cause irritation?
I sometimes have more than one book on the go, so when that's the case I do switch between them several times a day. And it's more the principle than anything else. It's not like there isn't room on the bottom bezel for a home button
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would certainly be better if there was a setting to flip the layout of the screen for left-handed use. I'm left-handed, which means that I hold the Kindle in my RIGHT hand, so it doesn't bother me, but I can certainly see the annoyance.
I have installed Coolreader by Crazy Coder. One of features in Coolreader that is very crucial to me is the possibility to remap the touch zones. There are 9 touch zones - a 3x3 grid. I have mapped the right AND the left side touch for Page Forward. For the occasional page back I use swipe or a touch on the bottom part of the screen that is reachable with left or right hand.

I know Harry that you like to keep your devices without hacks, but there are some interesting features that you could gain.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
imrulqays
imrulqays began at the beginning.

Device: PW, iPad, iPhone
May I be curious, kacir?

I am totally new to Kindle, and I would like to know which interesting features can be gained by hacking the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I know Harry that you like to keep your devices without hacks, but there are some interesting features that you could gain.
imrulqays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrulqays View Post
May I be curious, kacir?

I am totally new to Kindle, and I would like to know which interesting features can be gained by hacking the device.
There is actually an extensive list...check out the Developer's Corner sub-forum.
A few of my favorites (anyone else feel free to chime in):

Screensavers- change to personal pictures or make current reading cover
JBPatch- enable hyphenations (!!!!!!), adjust margins, better use of dictionaries
Collections Manager- much more in-depth control of collections
KUAL- you would need to read the list (a lot of things), most important to me is BackDoorLock to stop automatic/unwanted updates

You get the idea
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I find that I'm using roughly the same gesture to turn the page on my PW as on the K3 - I just reach a bit further past the bezel to tap the screen with mr right thumb.

I installed the jailbreak for one reason only... To be able to use the collections manager. I'm not sure I'd have bothered if Amazon hadn't broken the collections manager in calibre. I did also reduce the margins so more of the screen is being used, but that's just gravy for me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It took me a little while though not that long. I hadn't had a touch screen reader before, only the K3, so it was a slight learning curve. What took me a while to figure out was the drop down TOC feature. How much pressure and how applied to move up and down along it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I got used to this quickly on my Kobo - because you can tap or swipe. So a left-thumb tap is a go-backwards, but left-thumb swipe in the right direction is a go-forwards.
That's a nice feature. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way on the PW.
I`m not sure how the swipe works on the Kobo, but it surely works on PW, too. Swiping from left to right turns the page back, and swiping from right to left turns page forward (as would be in real life).

So, a short right-to-left swipe with your left thumb in the left part of the screen would bring you forward nonetheless =)
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
squall_dc
squall_dc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, KindlePPW
I prefer the physical buttons on my kindle 3 to the touch buttons.

Apart from the left/right hand issues, one other thing that is annoying about touch controls for page turning is that I can't easily wipe away dust or smudges on the screen without the page turning.
squall_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_dc View Post
I prefer the physical buttons on my kindle 3 to the touch buttons.

Apart from the left/right hand issues, one other thing that is annoying about touch controls for page turning is that I can't easily wipe away dust or smudges on the screen without the page turning.
Sure you can. Press the power button, wipe the screen, press the power button again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugA View Post
I`m not sure how the swipe works on the Kobo, but it surely works on PW, too. Swiping from left to right turns the page back, and swiping from right to left turns page forward (as would be in real life).

So, a short right-to-left swipe with your left thumb in the left part of the screen would bring you forward nonetheless =)
No it doesn't. The Kindle has a very clearly defined touch area for page forward and page back. Directional swiping is irrelevant. If you want to turn back a page you need to touch the required area. If you don't it doesn't turn the page back.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #27
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
Do you have a PW? If swiping to turn pages does not work for you than it might be some problem with your device, you should contact the support. Directional swiping is very relevant and very functional on the PW, to turn pages you can either use directional swiping or well positioned tap =)

Quote from the Kindle PW user manual, bottom of page 7:
Quote:
If you prefer, you can change pages by swiping the screen with your finger. To go to the next page, swipe your finger from the right to the left across the screen. To go to the previous page, swipe your finger from the left to the right across the screen.

Last edited by BugA; 03-23-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: quote added
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
BugA is correct, directional swiping works very well on the PW and is irrelevant where on the screen you do it. Taps have specific zones. (I still prefer buttons )
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I do not miss the buttons at all. The tap/swipe options are far more organic and feel more natural. I could see if you were holding the book by the edge and wanted an edge button but I'm not sure that I would use it.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
BugA does seem to be right. But swiping from left to right... takes you backward! I just thought it was going backward because I was tapping the left page back zone with my thumb. It seems counterintuitive to me to sweep right and go left, and vice versa, but in practice it's very easy to get accustomed to.

Love the Paperwhite!
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote