Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Coming soon: MobileRead Chat - Testers wanted!

We are soon ready to launch a new chat system. It will replace our little shoutbox, which has never been of much practical use.

A few facts about the new system:
  • It's based on the popular IRC protocol.
  • Nickname registration, chat channel registration, and other services are available.
  • Forum integration: Your forum name will be automatically reserved as your nickname.
  • Host cloaking: To protect your privacy, your IP address or hostname will be "cloaked" behind a pretty mobileread.com address.
  • Webchat is available. It communicates through secure layers with the chat server. Any other IRC client works too.

We are now looking for a handful of testers. The only requirement is that you are an active MobileRead member and that you are familiar with IRC.

If you are interested, please send me a quick PM.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
This sounds nice, though it's been a while since I used IRC. Still, it's good to see it still being used instead of web-only site specific stuff
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I wish I'd have my Linux box and a reasonable net connection up and running... Gonna look for an android IRC app I guess.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I wish I'd have my Linux box and a reasonable net connection up and running... Gonna look for an android IRC app I guess.
I really like yaaicas an android IRC client...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://xchat.org/

I like XChat, and I cannot lie.

I would like to add that webchat is an EXCELLENT product:
for those requiring it's firewall circumvention abilities and also not wishing to install a local client / On the go.

many instances where it would be great.

For me though a slightly more complete solution was a better fit.

Thanks MobileRead!

I also added a screenie that shows how to setup an alternate default channel and auto-login password location (when you have your password)

Added some screenies of the various channels and Xchat.

Code:
    _____        ___.   .__.__        __________                   .___
   /     \   ____\_ |__ |__|  |   ____\______   \ ____ _____     __| _/
  /  \ /  \ /  _ \| __ \|  |  | _/ __ \|       _// __ \\__  \   / __ | 
 /    Y    (  <_> ) \_\ \  |  |_\  ___/|    |   \  ___/ / __ \_/ /_/ | 
 \____|__  /\____/|___  /__|____/\___  >____|_  /\___  >____  /\____ | 
         \/           \/             \/       \/     \/     \/      \/ 

Visit us @ https://www.mobileread.com

::  You are connected to irc.mr.gd  ::

::  Listening on ports: 6665-6669, and 7000  ::
             ::  Also with SSL on ports: 6697 and 9999 ::

You have 120 seconds to identify to your nickname before it is changed.
identify via /msg NickServ identify <password>
or /msg NickServ identify <username> <password>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_039.png
Views:	775
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	97586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_040.png
Views:	772
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	97587   Click image for larger version

Name:	XChat: twobob @ MobileRead - -kindledev (+nt)_041.png
Views:	759
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	97588   Click image for larger version

Name:	XChat: twobob @ MobileRead - -kindle-dev (+nst)_042.png
Views:	782
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	97589   Click image for larger version

Name:	XChat: twobob @ MobileRead - -mobileread (+nt)_043.png
Views:	776
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	97590  

Last edited by twobob; 12-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I mostly use mibbit... Every time I finally decide to install a client, I re-install my PC soon after.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I like XChat, and I cannot lie.

I would like to add that webchat is an EXCELLENT product:
for those requiring it's firewall circumvention abilities and also not wishing to install a local client / On the go.

many instances where it would be great.

For me though a slightly more complete solution was a better fit.

Thanks Mobile Read!

I also added a screenie that shows how to setup an alternate default channel and auto-login password location (when you have your password)
And we just tested that the Windows XP build of XChat works here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And we just tested that the Windows XP build of XChat works here.
stupidly large screenshot of that in action.

Spoiler:
Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Agreed. Given a real box under my fingertips, I prefer Xchat over everything else too.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
The server also supports SASL logins which is directly supported by some clients and via scripts for others so you don't need the nickserv scripts.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Sounds cool.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
twobob

Quote:
<twobob> Tidies up the place a bit
<twobob> *sweep sweep*
heh : )