Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle DX optimal "page" size - PDF or Word template

Dear all,

This is my first post, waiting for my Graphite DX on the post...
I wanted to prepare some text to read on the new device, and although I'm sure this has been addressed before, I couldn't find the information anywhere. I would like to know the "optimal" page size to print PDFs from my computer. I read a lot of Word files, so I would like to arrange the pages and then print them to PDF for Kindle reading.
What are the precise measures in mm or in, taking into account the navigation or other toolbars?

Thanks!

g.

PS: I'm still very much looking forward to a Kindle "printer", which I could use to transfer kindle-sized pdfs from a browser or any windows/osx program...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
I've measured my Kindle 2 screen, and had good experience with 9 x 12 cm.
Don't know the exact size of the DX screen - but you could simply measure it?

Also, take into account, that the kindle crops the margins, so you must add the printing margins to the measured size, so the kindle will show about the same text size as printed.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know about the margins since I haven't played with my device (in the hands of fedex right now).
Does anyone have a Word template/empty file for the DX?
Thanks again
g.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
A simple margin cropper app is neededed to since offing amazon won't bother to flow a PDF decently.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
guiyoforward
Zealot

thanks, I can handle margins. do you know the exact page size?

thanks again
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
ivanz
ivanz began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
Hi,

I use this Word template Kindle DX Template.zip . It's Word 2007+ but I can convert it to old Word format if you need it. The page size is set to fit the kindle and I find that the Calibri font looks fantastic on the Kindle (not so much on screen IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
Dear all,

This is my first post, waiting for my Graphite DX on the post...
I wanted to prepare some text to read on the new device, and although I'm sure this has been addressed before, I couldn't find the information anywhere. I would like to know the "optimal" page size to print PDFs from my computer. I read a lot of Word files, so I would like to arrange the pages and then print them to PDF for Kindle reading.
What are the precise measures in mm or in, taking into account the navigation or other toolbars?

Thanks!

g.

PS: I'm still very much looking forward to a Kindle "printer", which I could use to transfer kindle-sized pdfs from a browser or any windows/osx program...
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
guiyoforward
Zealot

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks.
I will work out optimal PDF creation setting from this - dpi, page size, etc.
Thanks again
Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
ivanz
ivanz began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Thanks again
Just Save As --> PDF
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I wouldn't save to a PDF. I would look into getting familiar with MobiCreator or just mail your word docs to your kndle email.

With MobiCreator you can create a Mobi file native to Kindles. This way you will have full support for all the features kindle oddes such as annotation, highlight , test to speech, and font size
There are two emails one that will chege you .15USD to convert the document and and send it to your kindle.

There is also a fee email that will reply back with a download link where you have to download and copy the file to your kindle.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Thanks again
pdf save
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #11
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
KDX is 5.5"x8.0" or close to A5 paper size.

While there are many programs that can convert pdf's to something else, anything using complex layout, or that is professionally typeset will not convert well.

If you have control of the source, and if the source is reflowable (say a word doc), then setting the page size to A5, and printing/publishing to pdf from within word yields excellent KDX results.

If the source is not reflowable (or is only partially so), I have had good success taking the doc to MS OneNote through the clipboard, and reflowing it there --it is often simpler to prepare docs for the DX in OneNote than in word, and its "publish to pdf" facility is first rate.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

I second =X= option, why not use the mobipocket reader format instead?
In Word, just export your file in html format and convert to mobi with Mobipocket Ceator (free from http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I prefer A5 page size for Kindle DX, and A6 for Kindle.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote