Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Can someone explain this article?

Here's the article.

I'm confused, so I'm hoping another set of eyes can help me figure out what Apple is offering here. Are they saying that the iPad will read Kindle books? I'm assuming like the iPhone does.

Don't you still have to buy a Kindle in order to download a book to your iPhone?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Here's the article.

I'm confused, so I'm hoping another set of eyes can help me figure out what Apple is offering here. Are they saying that the iPad will read Kindle books? I'm assuming like the iPhone does.

Don't you still have to buy a Kindle in order to download a book to your iPhone?
Nope. You have to buy a Kindle book but not the actual device, all you need is the app. From that page:
Quote:
No Kindle required
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
Quote:
Here's the article.

It's an incredibly poorly-written article, but I believe it's just stating that the publishers have a different business model regarding the iPad, and that we can expect to see the publishers pursue this same model with Amazon in the future.

...which is sort of pointless, since we have already seen exactly that, with Macmillan's attempt to force Amazon into the same agency model it's using with the iPad.

Again, in sum: Poorly-written article. Both in terms of wording and timing.
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Here's the article.
Wow. That article is deserving of a medal for accomplishments in poor writing.

Quote:
Nope. You also don't need to buy a Kindle in order to download a book to your Windows PC. Amazon sells Kindle-the-device and sells Kindle books that are compatible with the device. They also make available, for free, programs that will download and read Kindle books on a Windows PC or an iPhone, and they recently announced they would also make these programs available for Macs, Blackberries, and other platforms. Kindle-the-device is just one option for reading a Kindle book.

That clear it up?
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Treadstone71
Treadstone71 doesn't litterTreadstone71 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Kindle 3rd Gen., Kindle Fire, Nook STR
As the comments at the link say, the article itself is very confusing.

First, you don't have to own Kindle hardware to use the iPhone Kindle software; I'm pretty sure the same is true for the Kindle software on BlackBerry and PC.

It seems that whoever wrote that article is using the term "Kindle" to mean "ebook software" or "ebook-reading capability". Or not; the article is really badly written.

Of course, the writer may mean they have some confirmation that Apple won't restrict ebooks solely to the iBook software. I don't recall any concrete info from Apple one way or another. Right now, my iPhone has the following ebook apps: Kindle, BookShelfLT, eReader, B&N eReader, Stanza, and Kobo. If I can't use any of those apps on an iPad, that makes the iPad a bit less useful to me.
Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Here's the article.

Haven't had to do that since Amazon first released Kindel 4 iPhone app. Gawd I love that capability! Of course, I've now got K4PC, K4iPhone and two K2s... Has Amazon released K4Mac yet? I've got this netbook...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for everyone that responded. It's also nice to know that you can buy Kindle Books as long as you have one of the Kindle apps, and that you don't actually need to own a Kindle. I hadn't known this was possible -- very cool.

2nd Question: How does the DRM work when you download a Kindle file for your iPhone or for your PC?

Last edited by Daithi; 02-19-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
2nd Question: How does the DRM work when you download a Kindle file for your iPhone or for your PC?
The Kindle apps for both PC and iPhone transfer the DRM locked files to the authorized device (iPhone puts them in /User/Applications/[App ID]/Documents/eBooks and PC in My Documents\My Kindle Content by default) so the app can open and read them. In short, the DRM works in the applications just like it does on the Kindle device (same file across all the app platforms).
Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I wouldn't believe or assume anything based on those two paragraphs. .... Someone should learn to write and edit if they are going to be posting/publishing for public consumption.

Last edited by kennyc; 02-19-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: oops
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thename View Post
The Kindle apps for both PC and iPhone transfer the DRM locked files to the authorized device (iPhone puts them in /User/Applications/[App ID]/Documents/eBooks and PC in My Documents\My Kindle Content by default) so the app can open and read them. In short, the DRM works in the applications just like it does on the Kindle device (same file across all the app platforms).
The DRM on the files I use for my Kindle are encrypted/decrypted with a key that is based on my Kindle's serial number. So basically, I'm asking does mobidedrm work on Kindle4PC app files? I could imagine a person with a Sony buying their ebooks from Amazon when the books are cheaper and then removing the DRM and converting it to a Sony readable format.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
The DRM on the files I use for my Kindle are encrypted/decrypted with a key that is based on my Kindle's serial number. So basically, I'm asking does mobidedrm work on Kindle4PC app files? I could imagine a person with a Sony buying their ebooks from Amazon when the books are cheaper and then removing the DRM and converting it to a Sony readable format.

There is a drm removal script for K4PC but it is not the same as for straight Kindle/mobi drm'd files
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
thename
Zealot

Quote:
It does as you can share the books across devices (read on your Kindle, your PC, and your iPhone). See here among others. But yep, it's pretty easy to buy from Amazon, strip the DRM and dump the resultant PRC to your Sony via Calibre (not that I would commit this anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA violating act ).
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
UPDATE content SET views = views+1 WHERE cid =
You are right, it IS badly written.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's good news alright. It means I can buy an iPad and have my Kindle library on it immediately. Also it means Amazon will no doubt sell a crapload of $9.99 books to iPad owners and that will keep price pressure on the ibookstore and publishers in general. If I can continue to buy from Amazon I will keep my DX and use it for my 'book only' reading (using iPad for book/comics/newspapers/apps/media).

I was really worried about Apple locking the iPad down too much, but this is promising.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I can't even view this article... Do I need some special program?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote