Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Author Field Ordering Won't Stick?

For some of my books in Calibre I have multiple authors. Sometimes, a different author is listed "first" and I want to change it. Sometimes this works. Other times, Calibre insists on putting a different author first.

For example, here's a book:

Title: A Logic Named Joe
Author(s): Flint, Eric & Leinster, Murray
Author Sort: Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Whenever I try to edit the Authors field metadata to put Leinster first, it always puts Flint first. I think Calibre is matching pre-existing names and always taking the first match, or something.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that the order authors are listed is determined by the order in which they are orginally first added to the database (which is the point at which Calibre's internal author-id values get allocated). That means you cannot directly control that order for a particular book. The author sort field (on which Calibre sorts the author column in the GUI) is under user control.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-06-2009 at 06:41 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The sort field may be under control, but the display is still the "Author(s)" field, so while it'll sort correct, the wrong name will still be displayed first. While it may seem like a minor issue I don't see why it can't be fixed.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The sort field may be under control, but the display is still the "Author(s)" field, so while it'll sort correct, the wrong name will still be displayed first. While it may seem like a minor issue I don't see why it can't be fixed.
The underlying database structures do not support this. Although I can think of ways in which it COULD be fixed - they are not trivial changes.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The underlying database structures do not support this. Although I can think of ways in which it COULD be fixed - they are not trivial changes.
Hmm, well perhaps the Author(s) field should display Author Sort instead? At least then it would be less visually jarring. Anyway, now I'm going to post a new thread about a different bug. :P
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's not broken that's how it should work.

If you want the authors to sort the same way they display make the two fields the same.

Some people may prefer for it to sort by LastName, FirstName but display as FirstName Lastname for example.

There is nothing to fix. Unless I am reading your message wrong.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's not broken that's how it should work.

If you want the authors to sort the same way they display make the two fields the same.

Some people may prefer for it to sort by LastName, FirstName but display as FirstName Lastname for example.

There is nothing to fix. Unless I am reading your message wrong.

BOb
You're reading it wrong. This is not about lastname, firstname.

If you add a book with:

It'll sort by Flint first. Now, let's say I want this book to sort by Leinster first. So I put in:

Author Sort: Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Now Calibre will order the book along with Leinster's books and not Flints. That's great. But the *display* will still have Flint first. So you'll see:

Author(s)
Leiber, Fritz
Leinster, Murray
Flint, Eric & Leinster, Murray

Now it should be simple enough to edit the *actual* Author(s) field the way you want. And you can... I can change it to:

Author(s): Adams, Amy

And the book will display that and sort with the A's (if I change the Sort as well) just fine. But what I *can't* do is this:

Author(s): Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Because Flint was added to my the database first (in my instance), it will automatically rewrite it to:

And there's nothing you can do about it.

Since I'm told the database can't be easily resorted, it makes some sense to me that the GUI should actually display the "Author Sort" field, rather than the "Author(s)" field, since that's almost certainly what you want. That at least masks the problem.

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Author(s): Leinster, Murray & Flint, Eric

Because Flint was added to my the database first (in my instance), it will automatically rewrite it to:

Ah I see. I haven't had the problem. Are you doing a "fetch metadata" after you edit the author field or something?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a known limitation. You can't influence the order of authors shown in the GUI.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah I see. I haven't had the problem
I have experienced this as well...interestingly enough, also involving Baen books with Eric Flint as a co-author. I've learned to deal with it.

(Baen books can also be a bit strange in that some of their multiple author books have multiple author tags in the metadata, rather than placing all authors in a single author tag.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is a known limitation. You can't influence the order of authors shown in the GUI.
Then I'm thoroughly confused.

What is the difference between the fields "author(s)" and "author sort"? To me, it seems that "author(s)" would list how to display the authors on screen but it would use the "author sort" field to determine how to sort it. But apparently that is not what's going on. So what exactly is going on?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

What makes you think that the Author Sort is not used to sort the authors in the GUI? It is for me.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Is it? It doesn't work for me on the PRS-700. I've tried.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
It used to work with the original firmware of 505, but not with the newer versions (and apparently not with 700, either).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard

The Calibre GUI uses the Author Sort field.

As far as I kinow the Sony Readers (all models) use the Author field rather than the Author Sort field. I am not sure that the LRF format even has the Author Sort field present in its metadata?

I guess what might be wanted is a Calibre option when converting to LRF format for the Author Sort field to be put into the Author field in the LRF file?

Last edited by itimpi; 03-22-2009 at 04:58 AM.