Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
How about a Color jetBook wishlist?

I think a lot of us watching for ebook developments would like to see a general purpose color ereader
with notetaking. In other words a civilian non-academic Color jetBook.

The features that might replace some of the academic functions could be worth exploring here, IMHO.

To get started:

For a eCookbook device;
1. A units conversion app.
2. A portions adjustment app.
3. An indexed recipe database.
4. A "Shopping List" app. that takes several recipes into account.

For a DIY/Hobby/Construction/workplace device;
2. A simple diagraming app. like DeltaCAD
3. A parts/components listing and manipulation app.
4. A scheduling app.

For a Gardening device;
2. A record keeping app.
3. A plant disease recognition database.

There are plenty of outdoor activities that a color eInk device with a little extra CPU power
but not a full fledged laptop/netbook/slate, could be just the thing. There is a good deal of
information needed by technicians, installers, repairmen, utility workers, ect... A dedicated
device that can be read outdoors could meet a need. Not to mention the recreational sports
and hobby markets.

Luck;
Ken

http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-27-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Also a simple word processor for short notes and documents
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I was going to suggest "no camera", but it might be good to have one (pointing out) as an option for the gardener to take pictures of her/his progress. Pictures to go with the recordkeeping ap As I have a good camera already, I'd prefer to add my own pictures to records and cut down on the power used for a camera in a proposed CJB.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
I was going to suggest "no camera", but it might be good to have one (pointing out) as an option for the gardener to take pictures of her/his progress. Pictures to go with the recordkeeping ap As I have a good camera already, I'd prefer to add my own pictures to records and cut down on the power used for a camera in a proposed CJB.
I feel much the same about having GPS on the device, sometimes I think it
would be worth it, sometimes not. I know I get more out of the GPS on my
ASUS Transformer, than the two builtin cameras.

Luck;
Ken

It looks like there is a GPS plug-in option, as well as provisions for 3G, in the hardware.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
As I have no car, I don't need GPS (the bus driver better know where to go!)

My wish list for the CJB includes "runs on regular, rechargeable batteries", like the JBL. Oh, and probably an on-off switch that really works, no "sleep" mode unless one actually activates it (so as not to waste those batteries).
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
(Nerd alert!)

A dice roller . Almost every game book comes in large format and color, PDF for the ebook form.

(Nerd mode off)

Keep the regular old calculator which I assume it has now.

I'd also like some sort of in-page placeholder to mark where you are in complex instructions for hobby books. Finer than a page-based bookmark and easier to move than having to highlight and unhighlight (plus highlights won't work well for graphics and perhaps not in sidebars.) Maybe a ruler line across the page or something. This might already be there for note-taking academics.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Simple one - HANDS-ON REVIEW!
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Don't forget many feats the jetbook mini has, like 4 x 90 degrees rotation for the left handers and landscape view,

I wish 9" devices would focus on PDF reading, instead of on color or other things.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
melajara
melajara began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook color, Kindle DX Gen 3, Kindle Gen 3, Nook simple Touch
What's the point of having 1000+ eBooks if you can't EFFICIENTLY search them for keywords, phrases etc?

To give us the equivalent of Google Desktop would be a good start but just a start as organizing the books (or research papers) in lists of subjects (kind of saved indexed previous searchs) would be quite useful for organizing your work.

And this is just the beginning as one could envision the same kind of application to decouple or cross check personal notes with underlying references or (semi) automatically inject inside notes hyperlinks to other notes or printed material.

Besides, I would like to see a good graph application to again (semi) automatically build up conceptual maps from your stored eBooks.

Last edited by melajara; 02-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
melajara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Digging up old thread, now that we kind of know what the JBC has in store for us.
I don't know every of the JBC's feats and apps, or what it still has in the making, but here's some feats I'd still like to see:

- CBR/CBZ reader (comic book,basically a reader that opens zipped or rarred jpegs)
- Notepad with hadwrite recognition (Handwrite recognition is not a must,but having a notepad is awesome!)
- Paint (like MS paint) but for pen input; basically a notepad with multi (256 or 8-bit) colors.
- PDF landscape reading (and 2 page reading for small papersize in landscape mode)
- PDF auto zoom text + img to screen size (get rid of borders with zoom)
- Image Browser (View images by folder, or uncompressed comic book files within one folder)
- Basic web browser We are waiting for Oh-Per-A!
- Advanced graphical calculator (with graphs, scales, and advanced formula's; get rid of your Casio's)
- Simple non-time based games like card games (eg: patience), sudoku, Mahjong, minesweeper,chess, dams, monopoly, a simple pawn game based on dies doing random numbers, Yahtzee, Starquest-like game, text based games, etc...
- An internal dictionary (words + meaning)
- Calendar / Agenda
- A Basic File browser with commands to 'open'/'copy'/'move' and 'delete' a file
- Some nice scientific stuff, like having a 'Periodic table', where you could click on a metal or material, and see it's properties (although I'm quite sure it's pretty easy to make in PDF form)
- Better in-document Hyperlink support (to go from TOC to chapters, or from text to footnote, or from one page to another by tapping on the link,without opening a menu).
- Unit Convertor (Weight/Size/temperature/surface area/pressure...) from metric to others and reverse; financial convertor (eg: Dollars to Euro or Yuan or others (update conversion factor via internet,or manually)),

PS:Anyone knows if you can run a DOS shell from the device somehow?

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-05-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
lucky13bbq
lucky13bbq began at the beginning.

Device: Current: Jetbook Color, Kobo Touch; Previously: Boox M90
Dear Ectaco spies,

Thanks for the update.

However, what I had on my Onyx Boox M90 and would very much like to have on my JC (in addition to the web browser and page rotation which I know must be coming) are:

1) zooming: 2 new zooming options in pdfs called 'hide margins' (gets rid of useless white margins) and 'dynamic zoom' (use stylus to define zoom area by drawing a box). Also, it would be very nice to be able to change page while zoomed!

2) scribble saving: was instantaneous on my M90! Why does it take 3+ seconds on my JC? This is especially annoying when I scribble, then change pages and forget to wait the required 3+ seconds, which saves my latest scribbles on the next (wrong!) page. Also, it would be nice to be have an inline option/menu to switch between erase and draw modes as well as be able to choose a scribble color (inline, of course).

Thanks and please do keep those updates coming or I'll be forced to get a Boox Color when one is eventually released.

Last edited by lucky13bbq; 03-10-2012 at 06:54 PM.
lucky13bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

It saves your scribble as soon as you remove the pen further than 1 cm away from the screen!
If you keep the pen close to the screen, the screen will remain activated longer.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
lucky13bbq
lucky13bbq began at the beginning.

Device: Current: Jetbook Color, Kobo Touch; Previously: Boox M90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It saves your scribble as soon as you remove the pen further than 1 cm away from the screen!
If you keep the pen close to the screen, the screen will remain activated longer.
There is no such requirement on the boox m90 and what you suggest does not solve nor workaround the issue I mentioned that arises when one changes page and forgets to wait the required time (which will save scribbles on the next and wrong page)...

Last edited by lucky13bbq; 03-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.
lucky13bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I wished that long pressing the back button would bring you to the main menu.

Also a menu bar, when pressing the menu,to see how far you're in a book, the time, battery, and other relevant data (like book title).

When pressing menu button, to get rid of the plain text menu, into a more colorful icon menu.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I wished that long pressing the back button would bring you to the main menu.
Yep, a quick way of getting back to the home screen would be great.

Quote:
Also a menu bar, when pressing the menu,to see how far you're in a book, the time, battery, and other relevant data (like book title)....
If you untick "fullscreen" from the popup menu while reading a book you can see at least some of those details already, but it's a bit clumsy to do that when you just want to see what page you are on.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote