Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Launchpad Command Freezes the Kindle?

Hi guys,

I think the Shift B command is what is causing it. Either that or something new's developing. This is the second time in the last few days that my Kindle has frozen when I open the browser. I've tried switching it off (holding the on button to the right until the screen flashes) and on again (doing the same) and it doesn't turn on. But last time I tried turning it on after a day, and it came on and froze.

I have created a file (browser.ini) which I've put in the launchpad folder. I used gedit to create it, and did a 'save as' and saved it as browser.ini. I hope that was the right way to do it? I don't know how else to create an ini file. The code in the file is as follows:
Code:
[Actions]

## Launch the Browser
B = #'k3_Home' 'Menu' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Down' 'k3_FW_Press' 'k3_FW_Up' 'k3_FW_Press'
I've got a Kindle3 wifi international if that counts?

Cheers!

EDIT: I just got it to start again (holding the button over to the right for about 10 seconds) and opened the browser, first using the normal way (selecting menus) and the next time using the 'shift b' launchpad command. Both times worked.

Is it possible the freeze is associated with wifi starting up?

Last edited by Tanga; 04-21-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yes, that is the correct way to install it. I don't use that launchpad command very often (although I have it in my ini file), but I tried it just now, and it worked.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

I haven't had any issues since. Hope it's done. A bit worrying with the hacks I have.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I have no hacks, but have a K3 w/3G (US). Since the latest firmware update, my K3 randomly reboots (when first switched on, sometimes, often when just lying around - the pattern seems related to it doing a sync w/ Amazon).

I'm starting to think it is trying to download and run an update or that the previous update didn't clean up completely and after the end of a sync, it thinks it needs to reboot.

For those who are curious: doesn't matter if it is in a cover (lighted) or not, on the charger or not (but, if rebooting all night, it doesn't every finish a charge, so wifi has to be left off to charge fully), being read or not (has happened in the middle of reading and when lying on the table with the screensaver visible).

If wifi is off, it never reboots on it's own.

So far, suggestions from Amazon: delete some stuff, don't subscribe to "so many" items (I removed a few old NYT issues and some duplicate content, but there were only a couple dozen other items there, some via Calibre and others via Amazon). There was well over a 100 MB free and now is over 500, but the behavior hasn't changed.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
Tanga
Zealot

Hmm, you might be onto something there Koland. Thanks. I have only had those two instances where it was an issue, and I hadn't had wifi on for a while, so it's feasable that the freeze was due to Amazon down/uploads. I feel a bit better about it. Cheers!
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Tanga
Zealot

OK, it happened again (a few times). It isn't launchpad though, as it also occurs when I open the browser manually. It seems I can't use my browser now.

I have worked out the best way to restart the kindle is the shift shift A command using launchpad, so launchpad is helping me. Anyone know what could be causing the browser issues? I thought it might have been low battery, but I've since recharged my Kindle, and it's still happening. =(
Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Tanga
Zealot

PS - I can't even turn the wireless on. Or at least when I do it doesn't detect networks. Is my wireless card in the Kindle borked?

Tags
browser, ini file, international wifi, kindle3, launchpad