Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exclusive: BeBook 2 unveiled

We've just gotten our hands on a picture showing off the upcoming BeBook 2 e-reader. The reader - which features WiFi and/or 3G connectivity, touchscreen navigation, and ePub support - will be showcased to the world at the CeBIT fair today. If you happen to be there, make sure to snap some juicy photos for us (Berlin room, ground floor of the exhibition center, opposite of hall 6). We'll much appreciated it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook_2.jpg
Views:	2447
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	25087  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Looks nice.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, they completely redid the hardware ! looks much cleaner than the last version. it will be really interesting to see the software and the screen quality, and hear the price. looks like a really nice new model !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Looks promising. I like the layout of the buttons ... though I keep wondering if the bottom is actually the best place for a page turner - the way I hold my ebook I often feel it would be better at the top ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I hope this doesn't dead-end OpenInkpot.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I tried to decipher what is written on the sample screen. Some interesting bits:

- "BeBook supports the most ebook formats from pdf, mobi, lit, epub, doc, html, txt, prc, fb2, jpg files to over 300,000 of *free* rss newsfeeds."

- "No shopping limitations: buy or download books, news or magazines anywhere (anywhere!) and read them on your Bebook!"

- "512MB internal memory and SD card slot"

- "open software standard (lifetime firmware updates are free!)"
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Still a 6" screen?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I can't wait to find out more. I'm on the verge of buying the current 'old' model - do I really need the extra features? 3G might be nice, but can I actually use it for something in Denmark? What if the price drops on the old model? When will it be out and what will the price be? So many questions... Ah, well, I must hold out a little longer.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I was hoping for a bigger screen...

But I like the design.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I've given them a short visit and talked a little with their CEO. Unfortunately he didn't allow me to take pictures... He basically confirmed things already leaking out:
  • 6 inch screen, e-Ink (of course)
  • ePub and PDF (both with and without DRM). I didn't ask for other formats, but IIRC the home screen also listed files in other formats
  • Touchscreen (one you can use with your fingers. Looks like the same one from the PRS-700. Screen contrast is suffering a little...)
  • Built-in 3G connection. WiFi is only available over an addon SD card (which will also be supported by the BeBook 1 anytime soon)
  • They're currently developing an OTA bookstore for the device. You will be able to shop for DRMed ePub books over 3G connection. (They won't integrate with other bookstores like Lexcycle does but are negotiating with publishers directly)
  • Built-in web browser
  • RSS support
I've also asked them about some possible integration with Feedbooks ("the French guys" as he called them ), but it looks like they're not planning anything on that. You could of course use the browser and download Feedbooks.com content from there.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
That touch screen looks a lot whiter and crisper than my PRS700, are you sure the contrast isn't so good? Maybe it's the side-lighting on the 700 that causes the degradation.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the heads-up, Thomas. Why would they not want to have pictures taken if it's on display anyhow? Doesn't make sense.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
That touch screen looks a lot whiter and crisper than my PRS700, are you sure the contrast isn't so good? Maybe it's the side-lighting on the 700 that causes the degradation.

WDE.
It is definitely better than the 700. The contrast is slightly less that a unit without touch screen but the sharpness is the same and unless you set two devices side by side you would never notice. The screen surface is the same, non-reflective as before. The surface allows full writing on it, scribbles and responsiveness is reasonable. It is a resistive touch screen. I have seen it, by the way.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is definitely better than the 700. The contrast is slightly less that a unit without touch screen but the sharpness is the same and unless you set two devices side by side you would never notice. The screen surface is the same, non-reflective as before. The surface allows full writing on it, scribbles and responsiveness is reasonable. It is a resistive touch screen. I have seen it, by the way.

Dale
Thanks Dale.
Plus note taking with a stylus. Sounds promising, and sounds like they've been listening to consumers.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Do I take it this is a completely new product built by Bebook, rather than a re-badging of someone else's design?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote