Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
noisy
noisy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
PDF with OCR to MOBI

There are a lot of documents in PDF formats, which contains scans of very old documents. Part of them also contains OCR layer, like in this document: http://polona.pl/archive_prod?uid=1095122&cid=1095117

I have tried convert it to mobi in Calibre, however I got mobi file only with scans, without any text, which can be get from ocr layer.

Is there any way to pull out ocr text from this PDF and convert only this text to mobi?
noisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Someone more knowledgeable than myself needs to comment on this issue as I don't really use calibre for conversions.

However, I don't think you're going to find this a simple solution. Or one that, with the right settings, can be handled just in calibre. I think you're going to have to strip out the text, use ebook creation software to take the text in and, with extra mark-up and effort, create a new ebook based on the old PDF material. This will be a complex project assuming you want to do it correctly rather than quickly. Particularly if this is meant for long term usage and data retention.

But I would keep the PDFs and the resulting ebook as well. Just in case.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have a look at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212056

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote