Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Creating custom columns is broken in 0.7.3

Creating new text and rating custom columns in broken in 0.7.3. If you create one, the tag browser stops working. Deleting the column restores the tag browser's functionality.

Kovid will decide when the fix will be released, but I imagine that it will be sooner rather than later.

This problem does *not* affect use of custom columns you created in previous releases. It does not affect comment, boolean, integer, date, and float columns.

Apologies to all for my failure to adequately test and find this problem before release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Apologies to all for my failure to adequately test and find this problem before release.
There's a reason we're on version 0.x.x not version 1. I'm glad that you're stretching for greater functionality, even if a few bugs get through. I'm sure they will be corrected quickly.

A comment to others: It is hard to do both the coding and the testing of the code. If you are willing to run from code, instead of the binary install, there are several advantages. The updates are faster than a typical Windows install. You get the fixes and improvements faster - you can even tweak the code for your personal setup.

However, it's also a benefit to everyone else in finding bugs before they make it into the numbered releases. If you're willing to try running from code, see here - it's not hard.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'll chime in Starson17's point as well - it would certainly help me with debugging iPad issues, as I'm dealing with so many permutations of iTunes settings. As it is, I do the best I can testing between releases, but more is better.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'll chime in Starson17's point as well - it would certainly help me with debugging iPad issues, as I'm dealing with so many permutations of iTunes settings. As it is, I do the best I can testing between releases, but more is better.

G
I've been amazed at how well you've handled it and how well it all works. You not only have to deal with Calibre and your new code, you have to deal with a variety of iTune permutations that may have been changed for reasons unrelated to Calibre or your code.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Aw shucks, I'm sure there's a still few silent but deadly bugs in there ...

But thanks for bringing this up, more people using the code between numbered releases would be a big plus for the entire community.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw this issue during the beta test of 0.7. I very much appreciate the work that our testers put in, but even with that work, we missed some important problems. A big one was the performance problems caused by misunderstanding Sony dates. Another was a problem that required 2 configuration options to be chosen and a regexp to be set in a certain way. The problems were pointed out very quickly once 0.7.0 was released. Unfortunately, by finding the problems after the release we also get annoyed users who lose information and time, we lose points on the hard-won reputation scale, and fixing becomes a bit of a fire drill.

I understand why people don't want to test software. After all, it breaks. But if released without testing then it breaks anyway, and in a far more intrusive way. In addition, and perhaps more important, people have good ideas. It would be nice to hear more of them before we release and get into the 'you changed something I really like' cycle.

To close, thanks again to all of you who test, who take the time to share and explain ideas, and who persevere to help find problems that we could not find without you. Your efforts help everyone who uses calibre.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The fix has been released in 0.7.4.