Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
New Epub/Mobipocket creation tool: Jutoh

Hello,

Jutoh is an inexpensive WYSIWYG ebook editor for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris x86. You can try it out here:

http://www.jutoh.com

Jutoh imports from Epub, OpenDocument, HTML and text files, and can create books in Epub, Mobipocket, text, OpenDocument and MP3 formats. Jutoh has a cover designer with a selection of templates for creating your cover image with minimal effort, and has several features for tailoring your books for different publishers and sites without the need to maintain different versions. It can also store notes, pictures and URLs in project files without affecting the generated book.

It's suitable for fiction and other books that don't have very complex layout requirements.

I hope it's of interest!

Best regards,

Julian Smart
Anthemion Software
Julian Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hi,

I'm downloading it right now, is there a trial version of jutoh?

Nevermind, it finished downloading and activated the trial when installing

Last edited by Catire; 05-24-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: because i'm an idiot
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Most likely this is an operator error on my part, but I can't seem to get images into my ebooks when using jutoh. Which is a bummer, as I am really liking the demo.

I insert them into my document, but when I go to compile, no joy.
I have tried png and jpeg, in both color and grayscale.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsgate View Post
Most likely this is an operator error on my part, but I can't seem to get images into my ebooks when using jutoh. Which is a bummer, as I am really liking the demo.

I insert them into my document, but when I go to compile, no joy.
I have tried png and jpeg, in both color and grayscale.
Hi,

Sorry about that, in 1.01 images were added inline in the HTML, which Mobipocket doesn't like and probably wouldn't be compatible with some readers. I corrected that in 1.02, and I'm also going to release 1.03 today with a couple of other bugs fixed.

Best regards,

Julian
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
1.02 works great, thank you.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Kino
Enthusiast
Kino began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
html " problem

Hi,

I found that importing an html file did not convert " to quotes after the first instance in each paragraph.

e.g. "Thank you."

came out as

"Thank you."

instead of "Thank you."

and so on...

I am using version 1.03.
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
Hi,

I found that importing an html file did not convert " to quotes after the first instance in each paragraph.

e.g. "Thank you."

came out as

"Thank you."

instead of "Thank you."

and so on...

I am using version 1.03.
Hi,

Sorry about that, I've now corrected this and a few other bugs in 1.04, available now.

Best regards,

Julian
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Hi Julian,

Jutoh is growing on me. Enough so that I went ahead and bought it while it's at the introductory price.

Image problems (version 1.05): they fail to load with ODT files. Perhaps it's just PNGs. I can't recall now if I tried with the JPG conversions.

Inserted images are not given the alt="" attribute, causing EpubCheck to fail. A quick fix to "Import images..." to include that part would be very welcome. Just the empty alt="" would be fine.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 64bit in case that matters.

Last edited by Dellaster; 06-13-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: System info
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Hi Ted,

I've replied to you privately but for people reading the thread I'll reply here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Hi Julian,

Jutoh is growing on me. Enough so that I went ahead and bought it while it's at the introductory price.

Image problems (version 1.05): they fail to load with ODT files. Perhaps it's just PNGs. I can't recall now if I tried with the JPG conversions.

Inserted images are not given the alt="" attribute, causing EpubCheck to fail. A quick fix to "Import images..." to include that part would be very welcome. Just the empty alt="" would be fine.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 64bit in case that matters.
Glad you're finding Jutoh useful, and thanks for the bug reports. At the weekend I'll release Jutoh 1.07 with the alt attribute fix and a few others. Embedded ODT images are strange in that if you paste from the clipboard they are embedded as SVM images, which very little software can read unfortunately, including Jutoh. However if you insert a PNG, JPEG or GIF into the OpenOffice file, it remembers the original format and Jutoh can extract the images.

Regards,

Julian
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - looks nice - just wish I'd keep a closer eye on the forum as I missed the intro pricing!

Not sure if it's a user error or not, but I tried to remove the paragraph spacing by (from memory) editing Project Properties/Styles, then selecting "Custom CSS" for the basic style (the indent one) then setting the spacing to .00 from the default .80 value, but it didn't seem to make it into the ePub... Didn't have time to double-check though.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - looks nice - just wish I'd keep a closer eye on the forum as I missed the intro pricing!

Not sure if it's a user error or not, but I tried to remove the paragraph spacing by (from memory) editing Project Properties/Styles, then selecting "Custom CSS" for the basic style (the indent one) then setting the spacing to .00 from the default .80 value, but it didn't seem to make it into the ePub... Didn't have time to double-check though.
I encounter that too. My workaround is to uncheck Custom CSS then go to Edit for the style and change the top/bottom margin there. Custom CSS changes aren't always reflected in the editor for some reason.

Which reminds me of another thing: a paragraph with a top or bottom margin in the style displays with extra space both before and after the paragraph. Makes it hard to see at a glance what kind of style it is. I'm often clicking in the space before or after to see if it's an empty <p> that I can delete. (Hope that all makes sense.)

I haven't had a chance to check out the latest release (1.07) so I don't know if these things still happen.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
how to import from epub ?
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #13
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Hi Gwyn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post

Apologies, this is indeed a bug, which I'll fix in 1.08 which I hope to release around the beginning of July. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Julian
Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
I encounter that too. My workaround is to uncheck Custom CSS then go to Edit for the style and change the top/bottom margin there. Custom CSS changes aren't always reflected in the editor for some reason.

Which reminds me of another thing: a paragraph with a top or bottom margin in the style displays with extra space both before and after the paragraph. Makes it hard to see at a glance what kind of style it is. I'm often clicking in the space before or after to see if it's an empty <p> that I can delete. (Hope that all makes sense.)

I haven't had a chance to check out the latest release (1.07) so I don't know if these things still happen.
Is the space on both sides of the paragraph due to the fact that two paragraphs of the same style will be separated by one or other's top or bottom space? I.e. the bottom space of one paragraph may seem like the top space of the next. I don't think there's a bug with paragraph spacing but if it persists please let me know.

Thanks,

Julian
Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #15
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
how to import from epub ?
Hi,

You can select "Import from single file" in the New Project Wizard, and choose the appropriate epub file.

Hope that helps.

Julian