Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
web browsing is possible on DR800SG

I found out that it is possible to surf the web using DR800SG. I don't know whether it just today or the network is not blocked at all. So far I tried Wikipedia and Google search. Works fine...just slow. I don't know if mentioning it here would be a good thing... :

It seem to have some basic web browsing capability built in already. How else would it surf the "eBook Mall". If you have any html file with links, you can open the page. It will bring you that site. Gmail works fine as well. I have not tried Google Maps and Video though.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 03-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
shind0u
shind0u began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
Great, can you send me the pdf you used, thx.

sixfly@gmail.com
shind0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
shind0u
shind0u began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
byw, thx for sharing with us.
shind0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
It seem to have some basic web browsing capability built in already. How else would it surf the "eBook Mall". If you have any html file with links, you can open the page. It will bring you that site. Gmail works fine as well. I have not tried Google Maps and Video though.
Didn't the device only perform a rather longish "dial out" process to the internet when opening the e-mall? Does your device dial out when clicking links on your html document or perhaps something happened and it dialed out earlier but never disconnected?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by shind0u View Post
Great, can you send me the pdf you used, thx.

sixfly@gmail.com

I didn't use any pdf. I used an html page that was a capture of google homepage using "ScrapBook" addon for firefox. I then copied the entired folder on to the SD card. You need to have Folder hack enabled to see the html file. Double click on it will launch the browser. When you filled in the text box and hit search it will load the result.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 03-13-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Didn't the device only perform a rather longish "dial out" process to the internet when opening the e-mall? Does your device dial out when clicking links on your html document or perhaps something happened and it dialed out earlier but never disconnected?
Yes, the device does perform the "long dial out" process. But once, it activated the respond time is better.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Yes, the device does perform the "long dial out" process. But once, it activated the respond time is better.
damn ..interesting
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
can you download something? like an ebook from here at mobile read or an issue (pdf) of raygunrevival.com
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
can you download something? like an ebook from here at mobile read or an issue (pdf) of raygunrevival.com
Yes, I tried download "The Tale Of Old Dog Spot" from mobileread and it works fine. I load a couple of pages which detect the type of browser. One report that it is Safari on Linux. Another reported that it's Mozilla 5 with Apple Safari/Webkit on Linux. It's not Flash enabled hence, google video does not work. It does bring you to Adobe site to get "Flash" plugin which gives you the option of install rpm, deb, etc. I doubt that video would works.

Web browsing does eat up battery quickly. Mine was charged at 100%. After the download test from mobileread. I turned off 3G and checked. It was down to 98%.

I wouldn't be using this feature much. It's just interesting to know that it is possible.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
This post is made with my DR800. Too slow for any practical use, unfortunately. But still an interesting discovery.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
This post is made with my DR800. Too slow for any practical use, unfortunately. But still an interesting discovery.
What would be very cool, however, would be to grab a slurp of Wikipedia and put it on a largish SD card for browsing offline. Now I wonder how much space that would take? I know a text-only slurp is only about 2GB. Hmm...
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ahh... a way to directly download the free stuff i've been reading ! thanks!
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Here is some hints on dealing with quirky scroll bar while browsing.

* To scroll down or up 1 page, tap above or below the scroll bar once.
* To move the scroll bar where you want it, tap on the scroll bar then hold. The screen will flash, then move the stylus to the desire position.
* To highlight a hyperlink, just hoover the stylus above it. Tapping the link will bring you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
What would be very cool, however, would be to grab a slurp of Wikipedia and put it on a largish SD card for browsing offline. Now I wonder how much space that would take? I know a text-only slurp is only about 2GB. Hmm...
That's an idea!!!

If we can get a dictionary in html format then we can load it on the SD card as well. I have no doubt some awesome programmer here would implement dictionary function soon.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 03-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Cool find.

Just a caution though, the manuals that come with it say you are only supposed to use the connectivity with the built in sites. The bandwidth costs are being covered by eBook purchases through their partners (I think). I don't know what Verizon/iRex will do if someone is using up a lot of bandwidth outside of the intended usage, but it's theoretically possible Verizon can kick you off the network (since nobody is really paying for that connectivity). The question is how much bandwidth can you use before they would care.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Cool find.

Just a caution though, the manuals that come with it say you are only supposed to use the connectivity with the built in sites. The bandwidth costs are being covered by eBook purchases through their partners (I think). I don't know what Verizon/iRex will do if someone is using up a lot of bandwidth outside of the intended usage, but it's theoretically possible Verizon can kick you off the network (since nobody is really paying for that connectivity). The question is how much bandwidth can you use before they would care.
The same should apply to kindles.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote