Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle 3 - this year, with larger screen, touch-enabled (rumor)

If you like to believe in unconfirmed rumors and gag for some more Kindle action, it looks like you won't have to wait too long for another Amazon device to emerge. According to unnamed sources talking to Digitimes, "Amazon plans to launch a new generation of Kindle by the end of this year, which will be larger in size and equipped with touch functions" (emphasis mine).

Could this the rumored student version that we heard of before, here and here? Don't place your bets on it yet, but usually Digitimes rumors are pretty accurate!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
This sorta angers me in a way. I've gone up and down on the Kindle or No Kindle thing inside my head. I finally decided no on the Kindle (unless I won the contest of course ) and to get a Jetbook instead (I disliked the Kindle 2's limitation of storage) . Now, as a college student, who has been begging for alternatives for my expensive (talking a grand a semester) textbooks, I wanted to be able to get textbooks, everyone was touting the Kindle, swearing by it.

NOW, now, Amazon has more than likely decided on releasing this student version. Which does me little good right now.

Humph.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
This sorta angers me in a way. I've gone up and down on the Kindle or No Kindle thing inside my head. I finally decided no on the Kindle (unless I won the contest of course ) and to get a Jetbook instead (I disliked the Kindle 2's limitation of storage) . Now, as a college student, who has been begging for alternatives for my expensive (talking a grand a semester) textbooks, I wanted to be able to get textbooks, everyone was touting the Kindle, swearing by it.

NOW, now, Amazon has more than likely decided on releasing this student version. Which does me little good right now.

Humph.
Well, this is merely rumor at this point. Granted, Alex had a pretty good inside scoop on the K2, but I would caution that there are a lot of "vaporware" devices out there that have yet to materialize.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, this is merely rumor at this point. Granted, Alex had a pretty good inside scoop on the K2, but I would caution that there are a lot of "vaporware" devices out there that have yet to materialize.
I hope I didn't come across as angry or etc, I'm just frustrated with the Kindle. I think its a great device, love its portability, and otherwise would have gotten one even with the priced tag.

I agree that this could simply vaporize itself, but it wouldn't shock me that they are planning a student model. But, I purchased a Jetbook about 5 minutes ago, and I think I'm going to be very pleased with it!
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Kindle 2 sources do include some kind of "haptic" driver sources, so it's likely Amazon at least considered touch interface.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I own the K1, and I've decided to pass on the K2. The minor improvements, plus some steps backwards, made me decide to hold off on upgrading. Now if the above rumors are true, and if the next Kindle can display a readable 8.5x11 page, then I will definately be upgrading (especially if it supports ePub and native PDF files). Oh yeah, I want folders, a replaceable SD card, and replaceable battery too, and then it'd be perfect. [Just in case anyone from Amazon is reading.]

Last edited by Daithi; 02-27-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
I will buy it if it really comes out.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It'll be interesting to see if it happens. For folks reading newspapers, magazines, textbooks, tech manuals & stuff like that a larger screen would be great. I pretty much only read fiction so I think the 6" readers are about perfect size wise.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I only read fiction as well, so the larger size is a detraction. But if it had folders, SD and replaceable battery, I would be there.

Who are I kidding? If it has folders, I will come.

Go Cubs!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just wondering: Is there any angle that they haven't photographed that girl on the beach from?

But seriously: I'm not sure there's much of a point to a student version, if it does not provide color... unless students won't have to pay for a second, color version that they will surely need for many textbooks (or if the B/W Kindle version is free).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hey, I'm taking a course in furniture making at the local Tech. Can I get my free K III?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
It would be cool if you could take notes with the touch screen on blank pages and then have them in a collection. So when you review your notes you can page through them. I would be willing to pay around $400 tops for that kind of functionality on a letter sized screen.
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I own the K1, and I've decided to pass on the K2. The minor improvements, plus some steps backwards, made me decide to hold off on upgrading. Now if the above rumors are true, and if the next Kindle can display a readable 8.5x11 page, then I will definately be upgrading (especially if it supports ePub and native PDF files). Oh yeah, I want folders, a replaceable SD card, and replaceable battery too, and then it'd be perfect. [Just in case anyone from Amazon is reading.]
My sentiments exactly. I'm glad I have a small reader, too. It's great for novels and I couldn't toss a big reader into my handbag so easily, but I'd love a large one for reading tech books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
I would undoubtedly buy a device as has been described here. I am not in school at the moment, but have taken several courses at Northern IL U recently---last semester, one of my texts was available as a time-limited (six months) pdf at around half the cost of the print version.

The biggest attraction for me of a big screen is readability; I have somewhat limited vision.

Textbooks are a subject all of their own in any case---publishers rape the market. I have seen some profs deliberatle specify just one edition out of date, in which case you can buy the text online for $10-25 instead of $100.
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Just wondering: Is there any angle that they haven't photographed that girl on the beach from?
I am starting to collect them to see if I can create some sort of 3D representation.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote