Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #91
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Currently, this wiki page says (about transferring converted documents wirelessly to the Kindle)

Is this true? I find that fascinating. Of course, you have to email 30 documents to get the charge, is it just that people haven't emailed that many? Or have people emailed MORE than 30 documents and STILL not been charged?
This is anecdotal evidence from the Amazon forums. Some folks have reported never being charged even after meeting the threshold. Some have reported calling CS and being told that Amazon was no longer charging but since the charge information is still viewable on the Manage Your Kindle page it leaves the possibility of them changing their minds. I've seen no reports of anyone ever being charged.

There is also the possibility that Amazon will charge for web access through the browser for anything other than downloading content and shopping the Kindle store but it hasn't happened yet either.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #92
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Currently, this wiki page says (about transferring converted documents wirelessly to the Kindle)

Is this true? I find that fascinating. Of course, you have to email 30 documents to get the charge, is it just that people haven't emailed that many? Or have people emailed MORE than 30 documents and STILL not been charged?
I have mailed far more than 30 items to my Kindle and have yet to see a charge.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #93
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Myth:

Without Whispernet you can't buy books.

Truth:

As long as you have access to a computer, you can purchase and download books. The Kindle will be recognized as a mass storage device by your Windows, Mac or Linux computer, so you just need to attach the USB cable (it's included with your Kindle) and transfer the books to the "documents" folder.

Whole Truth:

There have been some reported incidents (via the Amazon forums) of sometimes not being able to download content from Amazon while out of the U.S. (even if the person is a U.S. resident on vacation). It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem but it does happen from time to time.

Without Whispernet you will lose access to some of the Kindle's wireless features.
  • Wireless downloads from the Amazon Kindle store and document conversion service downloads directly to your Kindle (however, you can have conversions emailed back to you)
  • The Kindle's browser
  • Wikipedia access
  • Book Sample downloads (a workaround is to get the samples from MobiPocket.com via your computer, where available)

Edit: Changes in italics

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-13-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #94
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Myth: Kindle is not compatible with Calibre

Truth: Thanks to some very talented folks and Kovid, Calibre now works well with Kindle for cateloging your ebooks, editing metadata and adding covers, transferring ebooks to you Kindle and deleting books on your Kindle (now including the SD card). I love it!!!!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #95
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There have been some reported incidents (via the Amazon forums) of sometimes not being able to download content from Amazon while out of the U.S. (even if the person is a U.S. resident on vacation). It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem but it does happen from time to time.
The last time I was out of the country I had no problem. I wonder if it varies by where you are or if it was just some temporary condition.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #96
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The last time I was out of the country I had no problem. I wonder if it varies by where you are or if it was just some temporary condition.
I don't know. I've just seen a few posts about it. I don't want anyone to be caught by surprise so I included it.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #97
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Myth: If you buy a Kindle, you are locked into Amazon's Kindle store.
Truth:There are many sources for books that can be read on the Kindle
Weeeeelllll, since this thread is about "myth" vs. "truth," the "truth" should be the whole truth, explicitly spelled out.

Yes, it's a myth that you can only acquire content for the Kindle via the Amazon store. However, it's a truth that the only source for a wide range of major-publisher content is the Amazon store: you want a New York Times bestseller -- or even most of the authors you see in a bookstore or library (assuming their work is available as ebooks at all) -- you do have to buy from Amazon.

When someone buys an ebook reader to read novels by James Patterson or Stephen King (or even me) or nonfiction by Malcolm Gladwell or Bill Bryson, to tell them that -- hey, no probs, you can get Jane Austen's Emma over here -- is ducking the question and not really separating myth from truth.

Fictionwise's multiformat books available in Mobi format cam indeed be used on the Kindle but they are principally titles from small publishers or public-domain works.

For a graphic example of the difference, simply go to the main page at http://fictionwise.com. The books listed on the left-hand side are the ones you can get there for the Kindle; the ones on the right-hand side are then ones you can't get for the Kindle anywhere but the Amazon store.

Myth vs. truth is useful discourse; obfuscating boosterism isn't. It seems "Kindle Myths and Partial Truths" is indeed an apt title for this thread.

---
Robert J. Sawyer
Science Fiction Writer
http://sfwriter.com
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #98
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
However, it's a truth that the only source for a wide range of major-publisher content is the Amazon store: you want a New York Times bestseller -- or even most of the authors you see in a bookstore or library (assuming their work is available as ebooks at all) -- you do have to buy from Amazon.
I would say that the *best* source (not only) for a wide range of major publisher content is Amazon especially when it comes to main stream bestsellers. I believe it is well know that Amazon is largest ebook content provider. I don't believe it is true that bestsellers are only available at Amazon. I do believe you have a better chance of finding a book you're looking for on Amazon that anywhere else.

Quote:
When someone buys an ebook reader to read novels by James Patterson or Stephen King (or even me) or nonfiction by Malcolm Gladwell or Bill Bryson, to tell them that -- hey, no probs, you can get Jane Austen's Emma over here -- is ducking the question and not really separating myth from truth.
Where are you seeing this happen?

Quote:
Fictionwise's multiformat books available in Mobi format cam indeed be used on the Kindle but they are principally titles from small publishers or public-domain works.

For a graphic example of the difference, simply go to the main page at http://fictionwise.com. The books listed on the left-hand side are the ones you can get there for the Kindle; the ones on the right-hand side are then ones you can't get for the Kindle anywhere but the Amazon store.
If they are listed, you *can* get them depending on how comfortable you are with some format shifting options (which I can't really go into because of forum policy). If you research enough, you'll know that very few formats can't be "liberated" for use on your reader of choice.

BTW, I have purchased Stephen King, Dean Koontz and a few other titles from Fictionwise through some micropay deals. These books now reside on my Kindle.

Remember I only listed *some* sources, not all (there are other wiki pages for th so I edit to give a link to those pages). One may even purchase directly from the publishers web site in many cases.

On the whole, one *can* buy content for the Kindle from as many sources are there are available. Some will be better for some things than others (Sci-Fi users seem to prefer Baen.com over Amazon).
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #99
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Weeeeelllll, since this thread is about "myth" vs. "truth," the "truth" should be the whole truth, explicitly spelled out.

Yes, it's a myth that you can only acquire content for the Kindle via the Amazon store. However, it's a truth that the only source for a wide range of major-publisher content is the Amazon store: you want a New York Times bestseller -- or even most of the authors you see in a bookstore or library (assuming their work is available as ebooks at all) -- you do have to buy from Amazon.

Myth vs. truth is useful discourse; obfuscating boosterism isn't. It seems "Kindle Myths and Partial Truths" is indeed an apt title for this thread.

---
Robert J. Sawyer
Science Fiction Writer
http://sfwriter.com
Not a Kindle fan, Rob?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #100
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Not a Kindle fan, Rob?

You really cut to the chase, don't you?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #101
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Some Pay Sites
To those I would add BAEN they have non-DRM mobi as well as many other formats.

Probably 1/3 of my books come form BAEN.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #102
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
To those I would add BAEN they have non-DRM mobi as well as many other formats.

Probably 1/3 of my books come form BAEN.
Done. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a Kindle and are outside the USA, can you get a firmware update or is that only available via Whispernet?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Kindle and are outside the USA, can you get a firmware update or is that only available via Whispernet?
Yes, there is a way to d/l the firmware as a binary file from the web site.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #105
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Not a Kindle fan, Rob?
What did he say to indicate to you that he's not a Kindle fan?

He's just saying that the "Truth" should be fair and objective. You don't just want to discount the myth.

I didn't read his post as pro or con Kindle. It was just constructive criticism about the thread.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths