Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Python 2.5 or 2.6?

I know that recently the work was done to allow Calibre to be built using Python 2.6. Is this now a requirement, or can 2.5 still be used?

The reason I am asking is that I have been looking at IronPython and IronPython Studio on Windows. These provide nice integration into the Visual Studio environment. However the latest release of IronPython (2.0) that recently came out is only compatible with Python 2.5.2 - hence the question.

If the answer is yes, the I will put the effort into seeing if IronPython can be used in conjunction with Visual Studio as an IDE for Calibre development on a Windows platform. If the answer is no then I guess it is a case of sticking to the Python 2.6 based installation I already have with Eclipse as the IDE. It is quite likely (I would have thought) that IronPython developers will be updating the base Python version they can run against if I wait a while.

I already use Visual Studio for other development activities and it would be nice to only have to use the one IDE. I am sure many other Windows developers might feel the same.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The reason I am asking is that I have been looking at IronPython and IronPython Studio on Windows. These provide nice integration into the Visual Studio environment. However the latest release of IronPython (2.0) that recently came out is only compatible with Python 2.5.2 - hence the question.
Calibre depends on quite a few Python/C extensions which it links with directly using the Python/C interface. I'd be quite impressed but very, very surprised if these worked in IronPython.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree - after all I know how much one has to install to get a Calibre Windows development environment to run. However as IronPython states that it includes Python libraries from the standard 2.5.2 release it just might work! However if Calibre now REQUIRES 2.6 there is not much point in trying.

As long as if I put together a standard Calibre development environment based on Python 2.5 and the latest releases will still build OK then I can do that and then add IronPython and see what happens. I build my development environments under VMWare, and it would take the better part of a days effort to put together one for Python 2.5 so I though I would ask the question here first.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well calibre will likely continue to work on python 2.5 for a while (6 months). Eventually, though I'd like to move to python 2.6 only as generally speaking maintaining code for multiple version of python is a headache. In particular I want to use the new multiprocessing module from python 2.6
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I agree - after all I know how much one has to install to get a Calibre Windows development environment to run. However as IronPython states that it includes Python libraries from the standard 2.5.2 release it just might work! However if Calibre now REQUIRES 2.6 there is not much point in trying.
Some quick Googling finds a project devoted to CPython Extensions for IronPython. It appears there's a significant amount of voodoo involved, and the IronPython/CPython interface is not remotely transparent. Maybe there's something more recent? but doesn't look painless to me...

For your immediate question, I'm developing for calibre and running trunk code using Python 2.5.2, but I don't run the GUI so YMMV.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Hmm - sounds like there could well be some issues

What I think I will do is continue to use my current Python 2.6 + Eclipse VM for Calibre work, but build the Python 2.5+IronPython VM as a background activity to experiment with.

I will report back with any positive findings.

I will also keep my eyes open for other attempts to integrate standard Python into Visual Studio. This used to be available in the VS2003 days, but appears to have dropped by the wayside (I think due to licensing/GPL isssues).