Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
best font for kid's book?

I have an illustrated kid's book that I'm putting into print. It's geared toward 3rd - 9th graders more or less.

I'm making the font size about 16-22 depending upon which font I use.

I'm curious what fonts others have used or recommend for a children's book.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This would be one of the few places, IMO, where Comic Sans would actually be a good fit.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Do you mean a picture book, or do you mean a chapter book with some pictures? 3rd through 9th graders are reading Harry Potter, so you could look to that for font size. Diary of a Wimpy Kit (3rd through 5th Grade level) is a comic book and is set in Comic Sans or something like it. But other than that, you should just set it in a normal serif font.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Comic Sans might be great for a visual aspect, but you have to remember that these kids are just learning to read, or have just learned to, so from their point of view the typography should be as easy to read as possible. I'm also not sure if kids actually feel in any way, that a "soft" font like Comic Sans, is "kiddish". I would go for one that has clear letters instead, where words aren't "jumping around" due to fluffy letters, as you get with Comic Sans.

Comic Sans would rather be my choice if you were going for a book, where a parent was supposed to read it a loud.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote