Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
which is why I chose it - and then realized I should have put a NSFW/NS13 notice on the link, which may have been in bad taste. and I apologize if I offended anyone thereby. <abashed>
I'm confused...do you not have a story in that collection? I was suggesting you capitalize on the interest generated by the suggested scandal.....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #47
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
no, I put the link in as a joke, because somebody upthread was saying "not appropriate for Walmart customers" and that was as far from Walmart-appropriate as I could find. I write very gentle little fairy tales, which are far less marketable than the topic of that link is, I'm sure!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
which are far less marketable than the topic of that link is, I'm sure!
You were thrown a marketing meatball! You need to strike while the iron is hot! Sorry for the mixed metaphor.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #49
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post

If it's an author suggesting a book they have written in a thread specifically asking for recommendations, and if the author makes it clear they're the author (not "a big fan of this brand new book that was just released"), and if the book fits the request, and if it's done in a venue where it's not prohibited, I think it's perfectly okay.
^^This. Totally this.

I've seen far too many over-eager authors recommend their own books for specific requests that they don't fit.

"Hi. I'm looking for a really good murder mystery set in Victorian London suitable for an older person what doesn't like books with much sex or violence."

"Try me near-future dystopia. It's full of action and gore, but is softened with a passionate love story that leaves no intimate detail unrecounted. They'll love it!"

No. Stop that.

Otherwise, I'm fine with reasonable self-promotion.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
^^This. Totally this.

I've seen far too many over-eager authors recommend their own books for specific requests that they don't fit.

"Hi. I'm looking for a really good murder mystery set in Victorian London suitable for an older person what doesn't like books with much sex or violence."

"Try me near-future dystopia. It's full of action and gore, but is softened with a passionate love story that leaves no intimate detail unrecounted. They'll love it!"

No. Stop that.

Otherwise, I'm fine with reasonable self-promotion.
Exactly! I had pretty much that happen to me on another forum, except that when I was asking for recs, I'd specified both things I was interested in as well as things I most definitely did not want - for example listing "epic fantasy" and "dragons" and "faeries" in my DO NOT WANT list, and got answers that pretty much started with "Try my epic fantasy with dragons and faeries" as well as a bunch of "well, this isn't exactly what you were asking for, but I wrote this book and I think you will love it".

It did not fill me with curiosity and enthusiasm for buying their books, I'm afraid.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #51
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Exactly! I had pretty much that happen to me on another forum, except that when I was asking for recs, I'd specified both things I was interested in as well as things I most definitely did not want - for example listing "epic fantasy" and "dragons" and "faeries" in my DO NOT WANT list, and got answers that pretty much started with "Try my epic fantasy with dragons and faeries" as well as a bunch of "well, this isn't exactly what you were asking for, but I wrote this book and I think you will love it".

It did not fill me with curiosity and enthusiasm for buying their books, I'm afraid.
But, but, MY dragons aren't like OTHER dragons! You'll LIKE my dragons, I'm CERTAIN!!! Even if you HATE dragons, mine are different. Not dragon-like at all. And besides the book is really about (insert whatever genre you requested--romance, sci-fi, mystery without paranormal...) You see, if you just...

And that is why authors aren't allowed to talk about their own books at all. Because if the book doesn't fit, some authors come along and try to squeeze in the 'exception.' Some don't even try to be clever about it. Some don't even seem to READ the thread--they just insert their cut/paste "My book is great. I was here." They don't come back to answer questions. They don't even KNOW their post might be deleted...

You can have 21 people in a group. 20 of those people could be following the rules diligently. There will always be one who cannot seem to be bothered. By the time that one is kicked out, person number 18 will be ignoring the rules under the idea "Well, 21 does it all the time..."
And this behavior applies to non-authorly persuasions. Any group. Anywhere. Any culture. All time-zones.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
And that is why authors aren't allowed to talk about their own books at all. Because if the book doesn't fit, some authors come along and try to squeeze in the 'exception.' Some don't even try to be clever about it. Some don't even seem to READ the thread--they just insert their cut/paste "My book is great. I was here."
To be perfectly fair, that sort of behavior isn't exactly limited to authors. You can lay down the most crystal-clear, cut-and-dried criteria for the type of books you're wanting to be connected with (as a reader), and fellow readers everywhere will stretch/bend/break/fold/mutilate/spindle and even totally ignore those rules in order to ensure their favorite books' inclusion. I just chalk it all up to passion in general--whichever end of the pen you're on.

I'm cool with self-(promotion|hawking|recommending) as long as—like many others have stated—no sock-puppetry or other attempted subterfuge is involved.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be perfectly fair, that sort of behavior isn't exactly limited to authors. You can lay down the most crystal-clear, cut-and-dried criteria for the type of books you're wanting to be connected with (as a reader), and fellow readers everywhere will stretch/bend/break/fold/mutilate/spindle and even totally ignore those rules in order to ensure their favorite books' inclusion. I just chalk it all up to passion in general--whichever end of the pen you're on.

I'm cool with self-(promotion|hawking|recommending) as long as—like many others have stated—no sock-puppetry or other attempted subterfuge is involved.
True. I have noticed on my cozy group that some people will rec the same 5 books over and over--no matter what the requested type of book is. I've been on there long enough that I know they aren't authors. Come to think of it, there's a couple of readers on Kboards that do it and they are not authors either.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
True. I have noticed on my cozy group that some people will rec the same 5 books over and over--no matter what the requested type of book is. I've been on there long enough that I know they aren't authors. Come to think of it, there's a couple of readers on Kboards that do it and they are not authors either.
Just try asking for stand-alone SFF recommendations and watch how quickly an omnibus edition of a series shows up.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #55
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
So here's a message I got on Shelfari today

Quote:
Hello abcd, I read Amazon has you as a member “with” <insert random author> of “This Book” on their shelf, so I’d like to recommend another <insert genre>, "Title of Second Book.” It draws upon the author’s military background and has great reviews. “Second Book” is not a vanity or self-pub book, but is published by blahblahblah, a small independent press outside of <name some city> under its imprint, blahblah, that gave a <insert genre> novel a chance. Full disclosure - I wrote it and hope you’ll give it a chance.
Anybody who pushes their book on me has lost a reader. Not gained one!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #56
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
So here's a message I got on Shelfari today

Anybody who pushes their book on me has lost a reader. Not gained one!
I get those on GR all the time. Worse, because my blog is BearMountainBooks and apparently sounds like either a publisher or bookstore, I actually have had MULTIPLE authors who write and ask:

1. How to submit their manuscript for possible publication
2. Will I carry their book in my bookstore (all of these emails were before I actually had a storefront on my blog.)

If an author spent less than 5 minutes at my blog, it would be very obvious it's a personal blog. If they read the about page, they would figure it out too.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For the record: solicitation through a website/forum's private messaging system is unacceptable to me (from someone I've had no previous interaction with). I liken it to a salesman cold-calling me at dinner-time. I won't hate you or anything, but that's a stalkery deal-breaker right there.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #58
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
For the record: solicitation through a website/forum's private messaging system is unacceptable to me (from someone I've had no previous interaction with). I liken it to a salesman cold-calling me at dinner-time. I won't hate you or anything, but that's a stalkery deal-breaker right there.

MobileRead considers that spam, with serious consequences attached to such an action.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #59
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
You are much more forgiving than I am. I not only hate them, but curse them and their descendants to the N'th generation with festering ear boils. It's quite fortunate for those cold-callers that I do not have video calls, lest my Stare of Death eradicate the entire call centre.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
MobileRead considers that spam, with serious consequences attached to such an action.
It's a good policy. I've never had that type of solicitation happen here on MobileRead--in case you were worried that's where I might be going.