Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Can't resize calibre 0.7.55

I just upgraded to calibre 0.7.55 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I am having trouble resizing calibre. When I grab the bottom right corner, I can move it up/down/right, but can't move it left. I haven't upgraded for a few weeks, so I don't know if this is a new problem, or if it is supposed to not be resizable.

Thank you for your help.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
as info, I upgraded today to that version on Mac on my window works fine. (I'm using wide layout setting)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC you cannot resize it to be smaller than the minimum width needed to display the icons in the toolbar on the top. You can go to preferences->look & feel and decrease teh size of the icons/turn them off. Or you can go to Preferences->toolbars and remove some of the icons you dont regularly use.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana495 View Post
I just upgraded to calibre 0.7.55 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I am having trouble resizing calibre. When I grab the bottom right corner, I can move it up/down/right, but can't move it left. I haven't upgraded for a few weeks, so I don't know if this is a new problem, or if it is supposed to not be resizable.
Whether this by design or not this seems to happen when calibre is as narrow as it allows. On my Windows XP sp3 machine, calibre 0.7.55, Look and Feel set to wide I can't reduce calibre's width below 1145px.

Update: Ninja'd by One-eye Kovid
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
It seems the search bar/area determines the size of the window (which makes sense), I tried removing icons from the toolbar but that didn't do anything. Is there a way to remove icons from the search bar section?

Thank you everyone.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana495 View Post
It seems the search bar/area determines the size of the window (which makes sense), I tried removing icons from the toolbar but that didn't do anything. Is there a way to remove icons from the search bar section?
It appears you are correct, the search line does seem to be the limiting factor.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Everything got ginormous in 7.55. It's unusable.
It's not the icon size, it's the icon bar that's now about 2.5 x the height it used to be and the increased space between the icons.

I reverted to 7.54 and all is good again.

I'm on OS X 10.5.8
Macbook 13"
I've never had this issue before.
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@HaoleKai: that's the "native" OS X look. You don't like it, you have several options:

1) Customize the toolbar in Preferences->Look & Feel
2) Hide the toolbar completely and use a secondary (child) toolbar and/or menubar via Preferences->Tollbars
3) Complain to Apple

And let me note in passing, that this change was made by user_none who uses OS X as his primary machine, so I am not going to override him on what the default look for calibre on OS X should be.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

On resizing, why are you guys concluding it's the search bar? On my systems the search bar becomes pretty small. I am able to resize calibre to a min width of 877 pixels.

Do you have a search restricton/saved search/search that is very long? That may be preventing one of the boxes on the search bar from resizing, though I thought I had fixed that a while ago.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleKai View Post
It's not the icon size, it's the icon bar that's now about 2.5 x the height it used to be...
I'm not seeing this issue. The Mac style toolbar only adds 5 px of extra height on my machine. It does appear taller because the tool bar visually blends into to the title bar. However if you look at where the toolbar's bottom hits against the dock on the left it's only 5 px.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleKai View Post
and the increased space between the icons.
Looks the same to me. See the screenshots.

The only thing I can think for you to try is to click the hide toolbar button on the top right of the window. Then click it again to have it reappear. Maybe hiding and reshowing it will get it to size properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
On resizing, why are you guys concluding it's the search bar?
I'm seeing this issue and it does appear to be the search bar. I don't have a toolbar in my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-04-16 at 10.06.40 AM.png
Views:	211
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	70005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-04-16 at 10.07.06 AM.png
Views:	202
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	70006  
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@user_none: What's the minimum width you can resize calibre to?

I guess we can remove the search preferences button now that we have a separate highlight toggle button.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@user_none: What's the minimum width you can resize calibre to?
970 px.

Removing the go, clear, highlight, preferences buttons allow me to resize to 823 px.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ok, I've removed the preferences button, which should get it back to what it was before 0.7.55. Apparently there seems to be a lot more whitespace in the OS X version, you may want to add some code to remove the whitespace on OS X.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kovid: you can also remove the remove saved search button, now that this functionality is provided in the tag browser context menu and 'manage saved searches'.

Another thing we can do to help discoverability is put two buttons where 'manage user categories' is. Change the name of the existing button to 'User categories' and add a button next to it named 'saved searches'.

EDIT: removed screen capture. Did something else. See post #17

Last edited by chaley; 04-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sounds good, go ahead and do it, I'll merge.