Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
abatsukh
abatsukh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
epub file to mobi, but some caracters appear as question marks

I have downloaded some epub files and converted them to mobi and added them to my kindle.

however many letters in the book appear as question marks on calibre and blank squares as on my kindle.

how can i fix this, can anyone help me please?

Last edited by abatsukh; 01-15-2011 at 02:14 PM.
abatsukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The ePub is probably declaring the wrong character encoding. See converting epub to mobi for kindle 3 weird hyphens for a few suggestions of what to do.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This doesn't help. It just took out all the punctuation except periods. (using the Cp### and checking the Transliteration box) from Epub to mobi.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
For all intensive purposes, your file is corrupted. You need to do some digging to figure out what encoding it was using if you have any hope of fixing it. In some cases there isn't much to be done except use manual find/replace in text editor. Especially for something which is already epub, as there is a good chance there the file is now using multiple encodings - UTF-8 plus whatever the original encoding was before the epub was created.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
For all intensive purposes, your file is corrupted.
Just so you know, the correct expression is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just so you know, the correct expression is "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes"
That looks to me like a predictive input system at work.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
A correction I wasn't actually aware of, unlike other times where my fingers seem to do the spelling instead of my brain. That said, I think I'll join the side of the debate that says that the english language has moved on, and 'intents' is the archaic/formal form of the phrase

Anyway I really did sort of mean 'intensive' vs. 'intents', in the sense that the OP is going to probably have to bang their head against a wall or its' virtual equivalent to fix their file.

Last edited by ldolse; 02-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You explained it in public, I gave him karma in private for the good laugh. I've made these types of errors more then once.

Heck I was just typing "You're Welcome" to a thank you and realized I must have typed "Your Welcome" too many times to count.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
ResultantVector
ResultantVector began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
Hello all just joined the forum. I have seen written "I would of" instead of "I would have" as in "I would have posted your Christmas card before it was too late". In speech have and of can sound similar unless the speaker is careful to make the words distinct.
ResultantVector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
404 Not Found
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
...That said, I think I'll join the side of the debate that says that the english language has moved on, and 'intents' is the archaic/formal form of the phrase

Cute...There really is not a logical debate. Yes, language, especially English, evolves. But, this does not happen to phrases like this. This from me, an editor and proofreader, who studies the English language and linguists' findings as a form of relaxation. Me, who rails at the fact that "irregardless" has actually made it into the English dictionary. I can assure you though, "For all intents and purposes" is still the only correct version of this phrase.

That being said, I do not play the grammar police on Facebook or forums as people are usually there for help, not grammar. (Don't get me wrong, all posts are being judged, but only in my head.) You will most likely find errors in my own posts as I am human and moving fast. But, when an excuse like this shows up, I must protest.
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:39 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPuthuff View Post
404 Not Found
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...r-smart-quotes
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPuthuff View Post
404 Not Found
Oh shock and horror. A 10 year old link is broken.

Try this link instead of How do I convert my file containing non-English characters, or smart quotes?.

About a 2 second Google search to find the replacement link
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote