Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Afrosheen
Afrosheen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book Reader PRS-950
Manual transfer of books create dummy files

I'm wondering if it's possible to manually transfer books without having to deal with dummy duplicates? I'm using a Mac and transferring the ebooks to the SD card, then popping the SD card into my Sony reader.

The dummy file that is created is named with a prefix '._xxx' where xxx is the filename of the ebook.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.
Afrosheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try turning spotlight off for relevant drives on the Mac.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Afrosheen

Did that no dice. There is no actual file that is created within the drive for all that I can see. The dummy file only exists inside the cache.xml and cacheExt. I don't know why lines are created but they are:

cache.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cache xmlns="http://www.kinoma.com/FskCache/1" hasCapabilities="true">
	<text author="" status="0" sourceid="7" id="9" date="Tue, 21 May 2013 17:29:18 GMT" tz="480" mime="application/epub+zip" path="Sony Reader/books/._Nietzsche, Friedrich — [1873] Schopenhauer as Educator.epub" size="4096" title="._Nietzsche, Friedrich — [1873] Schopenhauer as Educator"/>
	<text author="Friedrich Nietzsche" status="0" sourceid="7" id="10" date="Wed, 01 May 2013 00:23:52 GMT" tz="480" mime="application/epub+zip" path="Sony Reader/books/Nietzsche, Friedrich — [1873] Schopenhauer as Educator.epub" size="137559" title="SCHOPENHAUER AS EDUCATOR"/>
</cache>

cacheExt.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cacheExt xmlns="http://www.sony.com/xmlns/product/prs/device/1">
	<text path="Sony Reader/books/._Nietzsche, Friedrich — [1873] Schopenhauer as Educator.epub"/>
	<text cloudContentID="epub:none:1:http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Schopenhauer_as_Educator" path="Sony Reader/books/Nietzsche, Friedrich — [1873] Schopenhauer as Educator.epub" contentID="http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Schopenhauer_as_Educator"/>
</cacheExt>
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Afrosheen

elcreative, you're right that this was a Mac related issue. The trouble is that turning off spotlight for SD cards just wasn't effective. When I used the applet Hidden Cleaner, it removed the hidden files that the Mac would put on the drive and I no longer had the issue of dummy duplicates.

Now I want to know if there's a script that would do this as I already have an Eject script which I've set a hotkey for fast ejection. Does anyone know of any?

Edit: Hidden Cleaner did the trick. And with QS, I now have a quick and easy way of cleaning the flash drive and ejecting it all in one swoop by assigning the command a keyboard shortcut.

Last edited by Afrosheen; 05-21-2013 at 04:32 PM.