Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you pay for upgraded internal storage?
Yes, I'd upgrade the internal storage. 4 12.90%
No, I wouldn't want to void my warranty. 25 80.65%
Maybe, other factors would have to be addressed (please describe below) 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Kobo Storage Upgrade Service (Wifi, Touch, Mini, Glo, Vox)

Hello folks,

I've recently had the idea to start up a service (locally, for now) offering upgrades to Kobo internal storage. The procedure is compatible with the Wifi, Touch, Mini, Glo and Vox models. It can offer both an upgrade to storage space and read/write speed. I want to know if a service like this would actually be useful, though.

Keeping in mind that, while perfectly safe, this voids your warranty. I'll probably offer a guarantee for a period after the upgrade, but neither Kobo nor I can thereafter cover the device under warranty. Really, I see this as being more popular with older devices anyway, but who knows.

Anyway, I'd like to know the following:
  1. If you'd consider using a service like this.
  2. How much you'd pay for the following upgrades:
    • 16GB
    • 32GB
    • 16GB fast
    • 32GB fast
  3. What model(s) of Kobo reader you have.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 10-23-2012 at 12:26 AM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The option "I don't need more space internally" is missing. I'm nearly at the end of my warranty, so that wouldn't worry me. The point of that option is gauging your market and why.

You might have problem with the Touch. I assume you are planning to replace the internal SD card. If so, the early models of the Touch had hard-wired memory. I think some of the later versions have an internal SD card, but I don't know when that started or how to tell the difference.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The option "I don't need more space internally" is missing. I'm nearly at the end of my warranty, so that wouldn't worry me. The point of that option is gauging your market and why.

You might have problem with the Touch. I assume you are planning to replace the internal SD card. If so, the early models of the Touch had hard-wired memory. I think some of the later versions have an internal SD card, but I don't know when that started or how to tell the difference.
I can't edit the poll, but I don't mind too much. None of the factors that would keep customers away are within my control, so I just need to see a rough estimate of the number of users that would be interested in this sort of thing.

Really, I assume that it's most useful on a Vox where internal and external storage have different uses and where media will much more quickly fill that space. However, I've had people who have enjoyed the upgrade on other devices as it increases the maximum storage space you can get without swapping cards out. While some people load books on one at a time and take them off when they're done, others like to have their entire collection with them. The other advantage is faster read/write speeds which can make a difference loading and saving content on certain models.

As for early Touch models having soldered memory, I've not seen that on any model but the original but I suppose if that's true there may be some rare devices that I couldn't upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 10-23-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but except for the Vox, why would anyone pay you a premium over the cost of a blank SDHC to put in the external slot vs. internal storage -beyond just wanting to expand to maximum storage space without swapping a card? My second concern would be whether you're certain the newer larger internal SDHC with different partition sizes from the old one would allow for proper firmware updates? Not saying it wouldn't work, just wondering if it's been verified.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I voted no, not just because of the warranty issue, but also because I wouldn't need the extra storage space. The Glo will take an SD card if I need to expand (once they become available and I get one). Though with the problems some people encounter with their SD cards, you might find some interest.

As for speed, how fast does it need to be? The page turns seem fine on my Mini, and that's where it would have the biggest impact for me, personally.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
You may have a problem if Kobo decides that they don't want you commercially distributing their copyrighted firmware. Unless people send you their reader or internal card, and you make the enlargement.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but except for the Vox, why would anyone pay you a premium over the cost of a blank SDHC to put in the external slot vs. internal storage -beyond just wanting to expand to maximum storage space without swapping a card? My second concern would be whether you're certain the newer larger internal SDHC with different partition sizes from the old one would allow for proper firmware updates? Not saying it wouldn't work, just wondering if it's been verified.
Well, to address your first concern, you need some technical skill to upgrade the internal SD card. You can't simply swap a new card in. This is mostly important for the Vox where storage space will run low very quickly. Hence the idea to offer that service.

As for firmware updates, those will work fine. The boot and system partitions are not modified in the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You may have a problem if Kobo decides that they don't want you commercially distributing their copyrighted firmware. Unless people send you their reader or internal card, and you make the enlargement.
I won't be distributing their firmware in any way.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Could it be that a larger SD card (fast card) would increase the power consumption in general?
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you but I'd rather not have the insides of my reader messed with. Plus with an average 1200 books current internal capacity, I'm good.
Also if I ever needed more memory I'd get an SD card, but I'm pretty sure I won't.
And I have a Glo.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"Well, to address your first concern, you need some technical skill to upgrade the internal SD card. You can't simply swap a new card in."

Don't teach yer granpaw to suck eggs...

HMMMMPH, about as much technical skill as it takes to Google the topic and find similar processes in practically any Chinese clone tablet forum... I've seen step by step procedures laid out that almost anyone could follow for just this sort of thing on any number of android based tablets with either Windoze or Linux tools and done similar for my first android tablet a couple of years ago. I'm just a little awed that anyone would try to make a buck off such a simple process rather than just spell it out as has been done all over the net.

Really, this would be a much better valued service on products with no external micro SDHC slot. As for speed increases, on that Android tablet I was referring to above we found that increasing the size of the boot SDHC card actually seemed to have the reverse speed effect -likely due to the new cards being set up to move larger chunks of data and the firmware optimized for smaller chunks to match the original sized cards in question...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
jefftheworld
Groupie

Quote:
"Well, to address your first concern, you need some technical skill to upgrade the internal SD card. You can't simply swap a new card in."

Don't teach yer granpaw to suck eggs...

HMMMMPH, about as much technical skill as it takes to Google the topic and find similar processes in practically any Chinese clone tablet forum... I've seen step by step procedures laid out that almost anyone could follow for just this sort of thing on any number of android based tablets with either Windoze or Linux tools and done similar for my first android tablet a couple of years ago. I'm just a little awed that anyone would try to make a buck off such a simple process rather than just spell it out as has been done all over the net.
The majority of consumers are not comfortable running command line arguments or disassembling their devices. Even just doing the research on google is something many people are not inclined towards. That being said, I was one of the first people to post the details of doing this mod online and I recommend anyone who is comfortable with it to give the upgrade a shot themselves. I think nearly anyone is capable, but by that same measure I think nearly anyone can change their oil, upgrade their RAM and cut their hair but we still have mechanics, technicians and barbers and nobody gives them a hard time as long as their prices are fair.

Having posted this same poll here and on another forum I've seen quite a varied response. The less technically savvy average user of mobileread - no offense to the users of mobileread, there are plenty of you who are quite savvy and really I'm sure you're all brilliant at plenty of things I'm rubbish at - seem completely against this idea but users on other sites like 1337.com seem to indicate there may be a market for this sort of thing.

The most commonly cited reason for people wanted the upgrade surprised me a bit. It seems people are annoyed about the way the Kobo readers scan an SD card when inserted. For large SD cards this can take a long time and having more internal memory would allow for less need to swap cards.

Personally, I really only saw a big benefit in terms of the Vox but most Vox users seemed uninterested. Really, a lot of interesting points on both sides.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 10-24-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
The majority of consumers are not comfortable running command line arguments or disassembling their devices. Even just doing the research on google is something many people are not inclined towards. That being said, I was one of the first people to post the details of doing this mod online and I recommend anyone who is comfortable with it to give the upgrade a shot themselves. I think nearly anyone is capable, but by that same measure I think nearly anyone can change their oil, upgrade their RAM and cut their hair but we still have mechanics, technicians and barbers and nobody gives them a hard time as long as their prices are fair.

Having posted this same poll here and on another forum I've seen quite a varied response. The less technically savvy average user of mobileread - no offense to the users of mobileread, there are plenty of you who are quite savvy and really I'm sure you're all brilliant at plenty of things I'm rubbish at - seem completely against this idea but users on other sites like 1337.com seem to indicate there may be a market for this sort of thing.
I agree there is a market for this. But, I think that a lot of the people who would want it done are technical enough to do it themselves. I've stated that I am not interested as I don't need the space. If that changed, I know I could do it myself. But, if you were in a shop down the street, I'd ask how much and then decide. But, I wouldn't post the device to another city to get it done.
Quote:
The most commonly cited reason for people wanted the upgrade surprised me a bit. It seems people are annoyed about the way the Kobo readers scan an SD card when inserted. For large SD cards this can take a long time and having more internal memory would allow for less need to swap cards.
Just to muddy the waters for you a bit. Or maybe clear them: How the SD card is handled has changed with the 2.1.4 firmware.

In older firmware, when an SD card is inserted, it is read and all the books were added to the database and hence displayed in the library. With the 1.9.x firmware, cover images were generated and stored in the main memory for all books. With 2.0.x, the cover images were generated as they were needed and then stored in the main memory. For all of these firmware, when the SD card was ejected, the database entries were removed and the cover images deleted.

With 2.1.4 and later, the first part is the same: insert an SD card and the books are scanned and added to the database. But, when the card is ejected, the entries are not removed. If the card is inserted again, it is checked for differences. If books have been added, they are added to the database. If books have been removed, they will be removed from the database. So, if you use one SD card and take it out, putting it back in isn't to bad. If you swap between cards, it will take a long time.

The other change is the cover images. For books on SD cards, the covers are generated as needed and not stored for later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but except for the Vox, why would anyone pay you a premium over the cost of a blank SDHC to put in the external slot vs. internal storage
I don't know about the others, but the VOX was pretty easy to upgrade, iI simply pulled the internal card out cloned it onto a bigger card and replaced it.

But I do have to say other then the VOX, I really don't see a point to this either, I see no reason to carry thousands of books, and simply can't imagine how badly that big a database would slow things down....

As for warranty, I was given this t-shirt http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8f52/ and it's applicable...

Last edited by XrXca; 10-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I don't think I'd need the extra storage space (or better speed), but if I did, I would probably wait for my 1-year warranty to expire before considering any 3rd party upgrades.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I don't think I'd need the extra storage space (or better speed), but if I did, I would probably wait for my 1-year warranty to expire before considering any 3rd party upgrades.
Very good point. Maybe a better idea would be offering this service for older models of readers?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote