Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #61
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick F. McManus is probably the funniest book I've ever read. It's a fictionalized account, so probably doesn't really qualify, but it's funny as hell.
McManus' regular stories in Field and Stream magazine kept me renewing my subscription long after I lost interest in the factual articles. Their editor, Ed Zern, was also funny, but using dry wit rather than McManus' slapstick style. Here's a great quote of Zern's:

Although written many years ago, Lady Chatterley's Lover has just been reissued by the Grove Press, and this pictorial account of the day-to-day life of an English gamekeeper is full of considerable interest to outdoor minded readers, as it contains many passages on pheasant-raising, the apprehending of poachers, ways to control vermin, and other chores and duties of the professional gamekeeper. Unfortunately, one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material in order to discover and savour those sidelights on the management of a midland shooting estate, and in this reviewer's opinion the book cannot take the place of J. R. Miller's "Practical Gamekeeping."
-- Ed Zern, "Field and Stream" (Nov. 1959)
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #62
gpc127
grant
gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.gpc127 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle
aussie books

John O'Grady is fun and the others too.

However A SENTIMENTAL BLOKE by C J Dennis is very perceptive and very funny. It is in rhyme which some might find off putting but if you read nothing else in it read where he takes his sweetheart Doreen to see Hamlet, just wonderful.

A children's book sort of but both funny and poinigant is MIDNITE by Randolph Stow.

On this thread's recommendations I read Bridge of Birds, the Illumanatus Trilogy and Blood Sucking Fiends. I enjoyed all of them. Many thanks.

Still hard to beat CATCH 22. Amazing how humour and sadness go together.

Ah, another war comedy . . . GOOD SOLDIER SCHWEIK by J Hasek should not be forgotten.

cheers

grant
gpc127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #63
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I began two books based on recommendations in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Time for some Australiana:
The daddy of them all, Lennie Lower Here's Luck.
Started out funny, but I think the characters are too unlikable, and the gags too repetitive, for me to finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis
Thank you, thank you! Just terrific. Even the dated jokes are hilarious. No sustained plot, which is fine with me. Wonderful ending.

And I have to give a nod to the musicalization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilV5K8tw_6o

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #64
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Just finished Skios by Michael Frayn.

A comedy of modern day manners set on the Greek island of Skios.

Quite enjoyable - probably around 7.5 out of 10 in my humour ratings.

A much better read (imo) in this sort of farce genre is James Hamilton-Paterson in the following 3 books:

Cooking with Fernet Branca

Amazing Disgrace

Rancid Pansies

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-02-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #65
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I began two books based on recommendations in this thread:

Started out funny, but I think the characters are too unlikable, and the gags too repetitive, for me to finish it.

Thank you, thank you! Just terrific. Even the dated jokes are hilarious. No sustained plot, which is fine with me. Wonderful ending.

And I have to give a nod to the musicalization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilV5K8tw_6o
Gosh, what's not to like about Jack Gudgeon?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert