Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
nookgirl123
Enthusiast
nookgirl123 began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Rooting NookColor?

I am not that good with technical things and I am worried that I might brick my Nook if I try to root it. How would I even brick my Nook accidentally and what is the chance of this happening? I saved for such a long time to get my NookColor and I DO NOT want to brick it. Please help!
nookgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Welcome aboard......
I was on the fence as to whether or not I could perform the rooting......Total newbie to Android and Ereaders.....I managed to get thru it....with the help of those here.....

I'm not sure how much I'd actually be able to help you though (I'm still learning), there are much more knowledgeable people here than me.....but I'd try.....

I'm not sure if you can brick the nook......I haven't heard of it actually ever happening (although I don't go over ot the nookdev forum often) From what I've learned it is easy to reset the NC back to factory, if you run into problems. Again, I've never done that either......

Had I been really concerned with what I paid for my NC and bricking it, I might have been more hesitant to root....but I think bricking it is very difficult to do....

If you just got it.....I'd suggest using it for at least a week or so, while in the standard format, to see what you like about it, and see what you don't like....this way you'll know if rooting will fix things that you think could be better.....also lets you be more familiar with what you have now.....This is what I did.....and was actually happy with my standard NC.....but still I'm glad I rooted for the customization it allowed me (not into games and such, so that didn't matter to me)

Last edited by The Joker; 01-18-2011 at 01:44 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
nookgirl123
Enthusiast

Ive had it since Christmas Eve and I love it but I just learned about rooting today and its tempting. I still have to get a useable memory card so im in no rush. Ive read through instructions on how to root it and I got so confused in some places. Do you know a link to easy instructions that wouldn't be as confusing to me? Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I used this....I assume these are the instructions you've reviewed
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

I spent several days going over what is in here, before making my attempt....
If you have questions/concerns about specific items in this, it would be wise to ask more specific questions (this is what I did)...and reivew the questions that may have been answered in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112175

I think others have used instructions that have more pictures to go with the words (it might be linked in the thread above)
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
nookgirl123
Enthusiast

Okay, thanks so much. I will be sure to make sure I have everything down packed before I attempt to root my Nook. Thanks for the help! (:
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
gstealer
gstealer is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Nook Color (rooted)
I rooted mine this past weekend and wont go back.

I read thru all the notes here and on the rootnook boards and used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts to get some the points that were vague for me. The only problem I had (and still appear to have) is the phone idle battery issue.

Since I rooted the nook, my wife wants it now.
She was completely "meh" about it before.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
nookgirl123
Enthusiast

What do you mean "phone idle battery issue" ?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
FYI - the phone idle issue is a red herring. Don't worry about it. Think of it as the battery reporting idling as "phone idle" instead of "nook color idle". If you make the changes to eliminate the "phone" files, it really just allows the battery reporting apps to use different language in reporting idling ...

Oh, and I think this thread more properly belongs over in the development / rooting sub-forum
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
nookgirl123, I'll make a suggestion based on my experience. When you read through Mobileread, you'll find posts that you'll think might be helpful when/if you decide to root. Later you'll find it difficult to locate those helpful hints. I made a MS Word file that I copied & pasted them to so that I would have an easier time finding them later. It helped my confidence as I was thinking about it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
nookgirl123
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
nookgirl123, I'll make a suggestion based on my experience. When you read through Mobileread, you'll find posts that you'll think might be helpful when/if you decide to root. Later you'll find it difficult to locate those helpful hints. I made a MS Word file that I copied & pasted them to so that I would have an easier time finding them later. It helped my confidence as I was thinking about it.

Thanks Slayda! That's a great idea. I think I will try it.