Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can you use your Dutch creditcard? Or how does it work?
Yep! When entering the credit card info you have to enter your address data. There I entered the correct number and name, but a fake address. So far, no problems. I get the books and the amount is paid via the credit card. Apparently the credit card company does not care where you live, as long as you use them...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yep! When entering the credit card info you have to enter your address data. There I entered the correct number and name, but a fake address. So far, no problems. I get the books and the amount is paid via the credit card. Apparently the credit card company does not care where you live, as long as you use them...
Hmm, I do have an official US address (thanks to borderlinx). Maybe I'll have to see about the Sony store. Except, I've never bought any epub book (and I have to figure out how that works first )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #18
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Hmm, I do have an official US address (thanks to borderlinx). Maybe I'll have to see about the Sony store. Except, I've never bought any epub book (and I have to figure out how that works first )
Likewise

Might be worth a good hard look (plus software installation)

I have purchased a number of EPUB titles. Once liberated, all is good.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
DRM issues and pricing do not prohibit you from buying it. They are mere annoyances. GR is prohibiting the legally buying of books.
That was what I was inferring actually. DRM can be removed and if you want the book and can actually BUY the book, then pricing comes a distant 3rd.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Prices are ok at the Sony store. DRM easilly removed, so that is no problem either. As long as the trick works, I rather buy than download from darknet.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
geographical restriction is a necessity ,anyway, I live in Saudi Arabia and managed to get ebooks from Amazon, B&N, kobobooks
kobobooks is the easiest, just buy directly using your MasterCard , there some books not available for geo-restrictions factors

Amazon, Ask a brother or a friend to set up an account for you using valid US address , then add your international master card as default payment method,I use my Bro's account to purchase ebooks which by default not able even to browse their covers ..

I heard you can as well use gift cards to purchase ebooks , to read more about it
http://cute-nemo.blogspot.com/2009/0...ur-kindle.html

buy from B&N using VPN, valid us address, apparently they don't match the billing address with the one on the MasterCard, just regular IP checking which is bypassed by VPN

BTW, not all books available on darknet and reformatting and converting is waste of time while you can pay few bucks and have them in the proper way,,,

Last edited by abjdiat; 05-07-2010 at 08:18 PM.
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
If your IP is the issue, I recommend Hotspot Shield. It's free, non-shady, and easy to use. I live in Japan and I use it to stream Netflix on my computer, and to use music sites like Pandora.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
I haven't had any problems buying books from Kobo - though I have noticed that when I download my purchases, they show up in the Sony Reader Library software rather than in ADE, so perhaps it is relying on the location settings for my Reader (set to US). (They do show me prices in US $)
That seems to be an option that got added in one of the last few updates to the sony desktop software, epub with drm no longer have to be loaded via the adobe software, which makes sense given that sony have switched over to that for their own store now.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Pure Gold, thanks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjdiat View Post
I heard you can as well use gift cards to purchase ebooks , to read more about it
http://cute-nemo.blogspot.com/2009/0...ur-kindle.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
If your IP is the issue, I recommend Hotspot Shield. It's free, non-shady, and easy to use. I live in Japan and I use it to stream Netflix on my computer, and to use music sites like Pandora.
Great tips, thanks.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjdiat View Post
geographical restriction is a necessity
Interesting. In what way is geographical restriction a necessity? I think the general consensus on this forum that it is the almost as bad as DRM... Care to elaborate?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Interesting. In what way is geographical restriction a necessity? I think the general consensus on this forum that it is the almost as bad as DRM... Care to elaborate?
So, some may show off, they know how to bypass it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
abjdiat
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't like either but it is something publishers have to be blamed for ...
http://www.ereader.com/help/Geograph...ictionsFAQ.htm
Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
abjdiat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, some may show off, they know how to bypass it
many of us find geographical restrictions inconvenient and stupid, I had difficult time with Amazon, I didn't think changing the billing address to valid us-based one would do the trick, if it's something you already know, it is not for many others ...
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
For those living outside the usa, geographical restrictions are probably a bigger issue than drm, it does more to prevent purchases and reading.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I was at an agent/editor session at Romantic Times and Ethan Ellenberg (agent who reps quite a few romance authors) said that the problem is that print and digital rights are negotiated together and cannot be separated so you can't sell World English digital rights unless you are selling World English print rights. The foreign print rights can be very lucrative for authors. Most foreign rights (rights to territories outside the home market) are sold with translation rights (ie. sale to Spain for English and Spanish rights).

Maybe digital will change this but for now, authors are willing to hold back those foreign rights, even for digital books, in hopes that they can make another sale to a territory outside their home market.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote