Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Pocket Pro - "Weird" Stuff Observed!

Still haven't played around with it too much (if work would just stop interfering with my personal life ), but I've noticed a couple of "weird" things today with my new Pocket Pro.

1. The button beeps are super soft in terms of volume while turning pages or accessing various options via the buttons; you could easily not hear them if you didn't know about them. But they are super loud when doing the firmware update. Seems there could be a good middle point. The button beeps are so soft that having the feature enabled is rather pointless, IMHO.

2. It seems that books in the .epub format, regardless of font size, cover the entire screen area. Therefore, you lose the page count & battery meter bar at the bottom of the screen. I don't know if this is specific to the formatting of the .epub book I'm reading (H. Rider Haggard Anthology Vol. 1, downloaded from the free books section of MR) or applicable to all .epub books. But I must say, I don't like it! It's nice to be able to see how far I am into a book or how much I have left to read to the end. And not being able to see the battery meter is driving me crazy! The .txt and .pdb files that came on the 1GB SD card display just fine in terms of the page count & battery meter bar at the bottom of the screen. Has anyone else noticed this issue with .epub files?

3. Unless there are little invisible gremlins on my desk playing tricks on me (maybe Griffonwing knows about this conspiracy? ), it seems that when I close the cover and re-open it later, the page has changed from the last time I looked at the screen. It's as if enough pressure has been applied with the cover closed to push the page turn buttons. Seems hard to believe from just picking up the reader & moving it to another spot on my desk...

That's all for now. If anyone can shed any light on the above issues I welcome the feedback!

Lisa
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
2. It seems that books in the .epub format, regardless of font size, cover the entire screen area. Therefore, you lose the page count & battery meter bar at the bottom of the screen.
Yes, this is the way the ePub and PDF viewer (Adobe Digital Editions) is setup on both EZ Readers. You can see the bottom bar by pressing the OK button, but it does not stay on the screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
With the epub format you will not see the battery indicator at the bottom and the page numbers are very small and along the right side of the screen and at time it will interfer with words in sentences.
I always lock my keyboard before closing the cover yes you could be hit the page key enough to cause a page change.
As for as the beeping I can not help you there because I have the sound turned off even with it on I can not hear it. For I wear hearing aids.
chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, this is the way the ePub and PDF viewer (Adobe Digital Editions) is setup on both EZ Readers. You can see the bottom bar by pressing the OK button, but it does not stay on the screen.
OK - dumb question of the day: which one is the OK button?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
With the epub format you will not see the battery indicator at the bottom and the page numbers are very small and along the right side of the screen and at time it will interfer with words in sentences.
I always lock my keyboard before closing the cover yes you could be hit the page key enough to cause a page change.
As for as the beeping I can not help you there because I have the sound turned off even with it on I can not hear it. For I wear hearing aids.
chuck
Thanks for the info about epub formatting. About the beeping - you aren't missing anything exciting with the option turned off, that's for sure! I may just disable it on my reader since it's just about completely inaudible anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
which one is the OK button?
It is also called the menu button, the right side of the big round button.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is also called the menu button, the right side of the big round button.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
OK - dumb question of the day: which one is the OK button?
also called the menu button. It is the big one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
3. Unless there are little invisible gremlins on my desk playing tricks on me (maybe Griffonwing knows about this conspiracy? ), it seems that when I close the cover and re-open it later, the page has changed from the last time I looked at the screen. It's as if enough pressure has been applied with the cover closed to push the page turn buttons. Seems hard to believe from just picking up the reader & moving it to another spot on my desk...
Yes, this happens because the left-hand page-turn buttons are raised just high enough that you can accidentally set them off if you grip the closed cover on the spine side. This has happened to me several times before I was "trained" to grip on the non-intuitive (magnetic clasp) side.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Yes, this happens because the left-hand page-turn buttons are raised just high enough that you can accidentally set them off if you grip the closed cover on the spine side. This has happened to me several times before I was "trained" to grip on the non-intuitive (magnetic clasp) side.
I just lock the keyboard first. Only takes a second to press the power button.

Dale
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That's good to knowl. Thanks Egbert.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I just lock the keyboard first. Only takes a second to press the power button.

Dale
That's the habit I intend to follow as well. I'm assuming that when you unlock the keyboard the reader takes you back to the same screen you were on when the keyboard was locked?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's the habit I intend to follow as well. I'm assuming that when you unlock the keyboard the reader takes you back to the same screen you were on when the keyboard was locked?
Exactly
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Gremlins are real, and can be accounted for not only elusive page turns, but also are responsible for making the page numbers in ePub wonky. They are also know to not only BEEP when hungry, but they also eat other BEEPS so that you cannot hear them.

Little devils.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Gremlins are real, and can be accounted for not only elusive page turns, but also are responsible for making the page numbers in ePub wonky. They are also know to not only BEEP when hungry, but they also eat other BEEPS so that you cannot hear them.

Little devils.
Are they accounted for in your ever growing list of government conspiracies?