Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things
TaraCuda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Screen Saver not uninstalling from 2.1

I've gotten myself well and truly confused.

I have a Kindle DX with the 2.1 firmware and SSDX 0.1 (yeah, I'm behind on my updates) that I wanted to update to 2.5. I can't seem to get the Screen Saver hack to uninstall completely.

I've followed the uninstall instructions a few times. My kindle will say that the SSDX is gone, but the screen saver folder still shows when I plug it into my computer (Mac OSX 10.4). The first time I did so, my custom screen savers were still showing up.

I tried reinstalling & uninstalling again based on threads I found here. I've managed to get the original DX screen savers showing up both on the kindle and my computer after two or three rounds of that.

I have versions of the .01 hack from both 06/09 and 11/09, but neither seems to uninstall.

Any other things I can try?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains- it's appreciated.
TaraCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It just so happens I went through this yesterday morning with another Kindle owner.

Try the link (not the download) from post #10. If the DX un-install does not work from that one, we'll try something else.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113639
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

Get a "this update was not successful. Kindle is restarting" error message- which is new and different than anything I'd seen before.

That's progress, right?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay here is another one but it is for the original US Sprint version of the DX. What does your KDX serial number start with?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

B004 182. It is one of the early Sprint DXs from June 09.

That removed the SD from the settings page, but there's still a screen saver folder in the system folder.

Last edited by TaraCuda; 12-31-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: broken image link
Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Try deleting the screen_saver folder then restarting your Kindle (home > menu > settings > menu > restart).
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

Nope- Screen saver folder stayed gone, but "update your kindle" still grayed out when I drop the update to 2.5.4 in.

I pulled the update down from Amazon & double checked that it matches my serial, just to be sure. Apparently, I was trying a K2 update yesterday to add to the confusion.... <ugh>
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Weird things are happening when I post today.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraCuda View Post
Nope- Screen saver folder stayed gone, but "update your kindle" still grayed out when I drop the update to 2.5.4 in.
Okay, that means the screensaver is still on your DX. The only other thing I can think of is to see if the jailbreak version of the hack will work. Jailbreak it and see if you can install the update (make sure you use the "update_jailbreak_dx_install.bin" file).
Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

Update failed on the jailbreak. Tried a restart and installing, but failed again.

Looks like it will be no collections (but better screen savers!) for me for a while.

Thanks for trying.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

Tried reinstalling the .1 2 screensaver (successful) then adding the jailbreak (not successful).
Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraCuda View Post
Tried reinstalling the .1 2 screensaver (successful) then adding the jailbreak (not successful).
The re-installing works but un-installing from that same file set *still* doesn't work?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
TaraCuda
Good at Breaking Things

Nope. No luck with the jailbreak or the update.

My guess is that there's something not getting completely removed by the uninstall because I had to manually remove the screen saver folder again.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Is the screensaver the only hack you have on your DX?

Also, I just remembered something. You will have to update to 2.3 and then to 2.5.x. I'll see if I can find 2.3 for the DX.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I found the DX 2.3 update here.