Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #151
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well I went ahead and got the 24.99 player plan, even though I never got the bundle with the extra cloud storage offered. . It kept asking me every time I opened the player if I want to downgrade to free or upgrade. So I just did it.

For me it works. I have no other online storage and I like to play my stuff through the speakers on the stereo. So at some point maybe Roku will have an app. I have to try if I can play through my browser on my GoogleTV, that would be great.

I like to have one place for all my music. CD's I ripped, old songs I converted from vinyl and cassette to mp3 and now also the songs I get each week for free from the library. So 250 just isn't enough.

Since I don't have a smartphone with 3G, only wifi, I won't have to worry about the bandwidth there. I don't really listen to music with a small device anyway as the speakers are usually not loud enough and I cannot use ear buds.

I have a nice speaker system on my desktop too and listen to my music there.

So I am trying it out for a year and see by then. Still a bit miffed about not getting the bundle offered, but what can I do. Tis what it is.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #152
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
For me it works. I have no other online storage and I like to play my stuff through the speakers on the stereo. So at some point maybe Roku will have an app.
Amazon Cloud Player coming soon to Roku

Quote:
As you know, we’re always working to expand the selection of streaming entertainment available on Roku, and we’re thrilled to announce that Amazon Cloud Player is coming soon to Roku in the United States!

Cloud Player makes it a snap to shop from over 20 million songs, upload your own music collection, create and manage playlists, and stream your music from the cloud – all from the comfort of your living room. Today, Amazon launched some great new updates to Cloud Player, including secure backup, scan and match technology, and free audio quality upgrades.

We’re excited to add the updated Cloud Player to our 500+ and growing channel store in the United States, and we’re currently working with the Amazon team to finalize the channel. Stay tuned!
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #153
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I am trying it out for a year and see by then. Still a bit miffed about not getting the bundle offered, but what can I do. Tis what it is.
I no longer have it available to me, since I let my promo expire.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

I doubt I'll even use the Cloud Drive part. The app is in Java of all things. Bleh. I have 50GB of space but the Cloud Player part is what I use too for music storage and backup. I can't wait for the Roku channel to get here. I detest the web interface that uses flash. It would be nice to have a desktop player.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #155
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well now I finally figured out why I have this Java hog running on startup since installing that cloud drive thingy. Yikes.

Thanks tubemonkey for that Roku update. That will be great.

I am keeping the free 5 gig cloud drive for now. Its enough for now to store my calibre library. . I couldn't fit that one in the free dropbox.
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well now I finally figured out why I have this Java hog running on startup since installing that cloud drive thingy. Yikes.

Thanks tubemonkey for that Roku update. That will be great.

I am keeping the free 5 gig cloud drive for now. Its enough for now to store my calibre library. . I couldn't fit that one in the free dropbox.
Yeah Java Bad! I keep it disabled on my browsers.

My Calibre Library is at 7.9GB So that wouldn't work. I haven't uploaded it to a cloud yet that would take forever!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #157
Atunah
Wizard

Mine is 3.3 gig right now. It took about 3-4 hours to get it onto Amazons cloud drive. And that was with my Uverse box rebooting twice, that thing is fickle.

I'll do a back up every month or so there. I still put it on an external drive and burn a disk. I just don't trust anything. My precious books.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #158
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Mine is 3.3 gig right now. It took about 3-4 hours to get it onto Amazons cloud drive. And that was with my Uverse box rebooting twice, that thing is fickle.

I'll do a back up every month or so there. I still put it on an external drive and burn a disk. I just don't trust anything. My precious books.
Same here! They are Precious! I just upgraded my Box.net account for 50GB for free. At least with it I can use Sync toy to keep the backup to a minimum. Although this is going to take awhile.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #159
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I didn't realize this thread existed and just created a thread in the Amazon Fire section. Actually, I was so mad I even made a post in the Vent & Rant thread in the Lounge.

I'd spent days uploading music to the Cloud Player. About half of it was music I'd purchased through Amazon (but they still make you upload it), and the other half was non-Amazon music. I signed onto my cloud player today and got the 250 song limit notice.

Amazon is free to change their policies anytime they like, but this really felt like a bait and switch move to me. People who took advantage of the free 5 Gig should have been grandfathered in when Amazon made this change, but instead we just had the rug yanked out from under us --- pay or get the hell out.

Well I'm going to be using Google for my music needs now. Amazon might want to think about the good will they lose when they burn loyal customers.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #160
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The Glacier is here:

http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-launches...se-7000002926/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #161
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
There is a lot of headaches on both sides when something is "free."

First the people who get free stuff want "more and more" and get mad as hell if the terms are changed and they seem to get less.

Second the company giving the free stuff out feels they just can't satisfy people, that people are ungrateful and complaining and it takes time and effort to address the issues, and then the company may not be able to come through. After all you got to make a buck or you are out of business.

I made a deal once with a company at a fair which was going to offer the chance of "free helicopter rides" to people as a part of a deal where you bought a certain day pass.

It didn't work out so well. Lots of misunderstandings.

I never did it again.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #162
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I made a deal once with a company at a fair which was going to offer the chance of "free helicopter rides" to people as a part of a deal where you bought a certain day pass.

It didn't work out so well. Lots of misunderstandings.

I never did it again.
Did you consider giving the owners a free one-way ride to thank them?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #163
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
There is a lot of headaches on both sides when something is "free."

First the people who get free stuff want "more and more" and get mad as hell if the terms are changed and they seem to get less..
This is the thing I can't understand. In this instance, Amazon offer you something for free, you happily use it but then when the terms change 6 months later, you moan about it and how you'll never use Amazon again.

And seemingly intelligent people don't see anything wrong with that.

I can only imagine the hassles you had with people complaining you were't just giving them all free helicopter rides instead of just the chance of a free ride.....!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #164
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Did you consider giving the owners a free one-way ride to thank them?
We had several expressions in the Navy for the situation.

1. Take them for a long walk on a short pier...

2. Open the door of the aircraft, and warn them "that last step is a bitch!"
Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #165
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
This is the thing I can't understand. In this instance, Amazon offer you something for free, you happily use it but then when the terms change 6 months later, you moan about it and how you'll never use Amazon again.

And seemingly intelligent people don't see anything wrong with that.

I can only imagine the hassles you had with people complaining you were't just giving them all free helicopter rides instead of just the chance of a free ride.....!
At best, I could only make my costs that day if everything went well. I hoped to gain a few customers and even better a few students for helicopter or plane. It was hard dealing with all the disgruntled idiots and keeping my temper. It was worse dealing with the disappointed people.
I did get 2 students but probably only about a dozen hours between them.
On the good side I did meet a guy with a private pilot's license that rented my plane on occasion. It was more convenient to him than driving to the city and getting one and I wouldn't rent to anyone I didn't know.
Another guy used me to hunt for some stolen boats. Found them pulled up into the woods from the lake shore. Funny how you can see drag marks from altitude and then drop down and peer through the canopy.