Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #31
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
Gaps in series are not always the library's fault. I asked the Overdrive purchaser at my library to buy Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. They were able to purchase all but books 3,4, and 5. Three missing right in the middle. And they are available to purchase from ebookstores. But my library cannot purchase copies for the library to lend. So we now have a big gaping hole in our ebook series.

These holes are often the fault of publishers.
Those gaps I understand, or at least I don't blame them on the library. The ones that drive me crazy are the ones where Overdrive has the entire series, but my library has chosen (for whatever unknown reason) not to carry them all. Since I have access to two library systems that carry ebooks, I've started searching the Overdrive site to see which library has more books in a given series...If I'm lucky, between the two systems I can sometimes even get the entire series!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
Abinersmoothie
Abinersmoothie began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
My library is part of a cosortium that combines buying power to make one large order all libraries share from. They have an "overdrive wiki" that I found online which they use to communicate with each other on overdrive projects.

On this wiki I discovered that each month a new librarian from a different library is responsible for ordering X amount of dollars in overdrive titles in different formats.

I'm rather disappointed that (as of yet) it's not automatic to include an eBook copy of each of the NYT bestsellers. I'm not used to paying to read books and it is so painfully slow to wait for them to drag their collective feet into the NOW and get with the Ebook program already.

Any book they order multiple copies of should automatically have an corresponding eBook added (if available) imho.
Abinersmoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that libraries are order too many romance novels. I'm talking the kind that could be written by a computer with no noticeable difference in quality,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that libraries are order too many romance novels. I'm talking the kind that could be written by a computer with no noticeable difference in quality,
Read a lot of those to know that have you?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Read a lot of those to know that have you?
I have better things to do with my reading time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I have better things to do with my reading time.
Then how do you know they could be written by a computer I wonder.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
If they order a lot of them it must be because they are popular. They wouldn't order them if no one was taking them out. Romance of any caliber is not my cup of tea, but a library has to try and please the most people.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #38
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
This is a real chicken and egg quesion. The Chicago Public Library is getting a lot more egalitarian in what it is purchasing - it purchases 4 bundles of the kind jswolf finds objectionable, and as many of the NYT bestsellers as are available, in addition to books that feature Chicago. Actually, I think these days they buy more mystery than romance. Nevertheless, the wait time on the romance books is much, much longer than the NYT bestsellers. For example, The End of Wall Street (which I currently have checked out), there is 1 copy and 1 person on the waiting list. Greek Tycoons and City Seductions Bundle, 1 copy and 11 people on the waiting list.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #39
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I have no complaints about the Seattle Public Library's Overdrive collection. No, it isn't perfect. I wish there were more scifi and erotica books available. But they have a fantastic collection of nonfiction, which works perfectly because a lot of titles are timely but not worth hanging on to for years.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
If there are specific books you want to read from your library (and it's not one of those consortiums), I'd recommend using the 'suggest a purchase' function to request eBooks. Most libraries on their website (either the overdrive site or regular library site) have a form to suggest a book to purchase.

I'm in LA, and mainly use LA Public Library (which has a larger collection) and County of LA Public Library. I suggested 2 books for purchase from LaPub last week. I didn't hear anything, so called the librarian who manages the e-media collections. She said she received my suggestion, but June is the end of the fiscal year, and they had used up their budget (which probably explains the 3,000+ epubs that have been added in the last 2 months!). However, she said she'd start ordering again in July, and would include the books.

Even better - I emailed Co of LA yesterday to request the same books (sorry, I really want to read them!). CoLA emailed me today to thank me for the suggestions and let me know the books will be added next week.

It's nice when occasionally things are as simple as just asking - at least in the case of these two libraries. There are a few other libraries in SoCal I'll test out and see if they're this responsive, too!

Last edited by bookwerm; 06-18-2010 at 08:37 PM.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #41
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I once asked my local branch how ebooks were picked and they had no idea.

It seems like they must be requested because there seems to be no rhyme and reason...and often I'll see a bunch of books of a certain genre pop up together in the same format format (wedding planning, teen, comics, etc..). I belong to two library system and seldom do they offer the same books. I would think if they were buying based on deals, there would be more similarity.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #42
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
My library has 674 ebooks available. Of those 447 are fiction. Almost all of them have a waiting list. I randomly picked a Nora Roberts book and there are 14 people waiting.

I never would have thought it would be so popular in my area.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote