Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Strykor
Strykor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Worth the money eBook reader (only PDF)

Hello,
I am soon going to buy my first eBook reader. What I am afraid of is that the reader I am going to buy has no nice contrast / has a high time of skipping the pages or just simply does not show me the PDF books very well.
I am just looking for an eBook reader around 200€ which will do the trick for only PDFs and I am only going to read.

I do not need something like eInk or other additional stuff.

It would be nice to hear some recommendations.
Strykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'll need to spend a bit more then 200€ in order to get a reader that will display PDF nicely. The ones that are 5" or 6" don't do PDF well. The Kindle DX does PDF poorly too even though it has a large screen. Plus, it's really heavy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
w1nt3r
w1nt3r began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Not sure what's your budget equivalent in USD, but have you considered Astak ebook?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78089

I've been hearing great things about them, and I am considering their 9-inch device as my next reader.
w1nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
do not need something like eInk or other additional stuff.
If e-ink isn't a requiment, you might want to look at the archos 7, the wee-pad. and others upcomming tablets.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Strykor

If I spent more, what eBook readers would you suggest me then?
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sounds to me, Strykor, that it would be worth your while looking into netbook options. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Strykor

But I think a netbook has a lower quality of contrast, the netbooks are likely a normal computer display, after a little time of reading it hurts my eyes or am I wrong?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykor View Post
If I spent more, what eBook readers would you suggest me then?
I recently bought an IREX DR800 and only read PDF's. I think it's probably the best you can do at the moment but it is expensive. 499 euros but much cheaper if you live in the USA or can get one from there - 399 dollars.

Good luck with the search.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
GOOD 6 inch readers display PDFs very well. PocketBook models and Onyx Boox have the necessary zoom options to display PDFs very well.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #10
Strykor

Whats this thing with netbooks now? Do the display hurt after some time of reading?
At the moment, because of the price, I am looking forward for a pocketbook 360°, although it has only 5 inch. Is it a big difference to notice?

Last edited by Strykor; 03-27-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What kind of PDFs is it that you want to read? Tech books? Scientific articles? Are you able to have the PDFs created with a page size the would fit a smaller screen? There have been other threads here with questions like yours - they might also help answer your questions.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
In my opinion most ebook readers suck as far as PDFs (which are mostly created for full-sized computer screens). As TGS says, maybe the Irex models...but I have no experience with them myself. Netbook option sounds more realistic.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote