Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
A study in contrasts - the silicone cover

I've found that with the white/transparent silicone cover, the text on the screen looks especially crisp and clear.

Waterstone's been having a 505 cover sale, and since I've been thinking of getting a 600 - and in that case might relegate the 505 to 'kitchen duty' for recipes - I thought a silicone cover might be a good investment.

I just got today, and somewhat to my surprise, it's a very nice cover overall - it really doesn't look as nice on photos as it feels to hold. It has a nice feel, and gives the Reader a good grip.

It's "white-transparent" rather than white, and this is the interesting part, since, while you can still see the buttons through the skin, it blurs all contrasts on the Reader - button edges, printed text, edges in general - and the text on the screen looks especially crisp and clear in comparison with this. I can follow the idea that a dark-coloured edge might give a greater, perceived, contrast, but I hadn't imagined the silicone cover would do as well, in its own way.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Got pics? What brand? Where buy?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Got pics? What brand? Where buy?
Attached. Sony. Waterstones.co.uk.

Since you're in USA, so you might need to look elsewhere. I doubt the perceived clarity of the screen is visible in the photo, but I was overall quite impressed with the cover. It's not for bumbing about in a purse, since it doesn't protect the screen, but nice if you just use it at home. Gives a good grip without adding a lot of bulk. Looks better on, than off, BTW - it put me off in the photos I saw - and slides right on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0300.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	34430  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quite impressive, Ea! It could be the solution for me- though I know that I won't able to get it from Waterstones. I plan on giving my father my PRS-505 and it would save the poor thing a lot of trouble in terms of stains (he's a little kid sometimes ) and of course, with presbyopia advancing, it would make it easier for him to read.

Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Quite impressive, Ea! It could be the solution for me- though I know that I won't able to get it from Waterstones. I plan on giving my father my PRS-505 and it would save the poor thing a lot of trouble in terms of stains (he's a little kid sometimes ) and of course, with presbyopia advancing, it would make it easier for him to read.

Are you sure you can't get it from Waterstone's? I'm from Denmark, and I could order it:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6337800
You should be able to order it from Italy as well. It was 5 pounds for the postage though, but still much the cheapest offer in Europe.
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
... and of course, with presbyopia advancing, it would make it easier for him to read.
It's not THAT much greater contrast, and it's only perceived. I noticed because of a discussion in another thread about potential glare of the silver case (in my experience, there isn't any) and the merits of the dark blue vs. the silver. Some has experienced that the blue case gives the appearance of higher contrast, I just didn't expect that the silicone case could do so, as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Are you sure you can't get it from Waterstone's? I'm from Denmark, and I could order it:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6337800
You should be able to order it from Italy as well. It was 5 pounds for the postage though, but still much the cheapest offer in Europe.
But that's wonderful news! And I guess that if I were to throw in some paper book the postage would be more, uhm, justifiable O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It's not THAT much greater contrast, and it's only perceived. I noticed because of a discussion in another thread about potential glare of the silver case (in my experience, there isn't any) and the merits of the dark blue vs. the silver. Some has experienced that the blue case gives the appearance of higher contrast, I just didn't expect that the silicone case could do so, as well.
Maybe that's how one looks at it- like in those optical games with colours. I should probably ask my father first, then, if he'd prefer the Cybook (I see it like you: better contrast with the silver than the black, and no glare...)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Very interesting. I read somewhere that the Kindles are white because they did field testing and people reported that they found the white made the text easier to read. I suppose this validates it in a way! Very pretty!
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwickimom View Post
Very interesting. I read somewhere that the Kindles are white because they did field testing and people reported that they found the white made the text easier to read. I suppose this validates it in a way! Very pretty!
That wasn't eactly my conclusion. It's the semi-opaqueness of the silicone cover that blurs the appearance of the buttons and print on the case, which in turn makes the text one the screen appear a little bit sharper because of the contrast. The silicone case isn't white, more like 'milky' water an the silver colour of the Reader appears through it.