Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 03:05 AM   #1
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
problem transferring files from one computer to another

Hello.
While on vacation, I used Calibre on a different computer from my usual one (computer with Windows 7 instead of 10, but same latest version of Calibre, I think 4.23, installed).
I thus downloaded some EPub documents from the web, and then converted them to Mobi (also retaining the original EPub, of course).
When coming back, I took all files on a USB key, nicely arranged in their respective folders, and then copied the folders to the "Calibre Library" folder on my usual home computer.
So now all the new folders and files are in the "Calibre Library" folder on my usual computer, BUT when I open Calibre, they will not show up in the list of ebooks AT ALL ; also, when I create a catalogue, they (and only they) do not show up in it.
I hope the answer isn't "that's because you must transfer the WHOLE Calibre library or nothing" because: 1/ I have about 60 Gb of documents, which is not so totally easy to put on a USB key, 2/ on the computer I used while on vacation, I only have a few dozen files (all of them transferred from my usual home computer but for the ones I added lately, and all of them do show up fine on this vacation computer), but the bulk of what I have is only on my home computer (and a backup storage disc).
What went wrong, why, and how can I solve the issue ? Because as things are now, all the files I downloaded and used while away from home are, for all practical purposes, "dead", which irritates me quite a bit.
Sorry if that is a dumbhead's question, but anyway thanks a lot in advance for an answer (and solution on how to actually get these files, that are still on my USB key too, to actually "be" on Calibre).
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:20 AM   #2
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Hello again.
I may have a slight hint why the issue arises : the folders I transferred are numbered, each having the number it had in the Calibre Library on the computer I used while away from home. (So numbers in the low 100s.)
Now when I transfer those folders to my usual Calibre Library, that goes up to many 1000s of documents, I am certain those "low" numbers are already "occupied" by other documents that were created on this home version.
But admitting this is indeed the issue, is there a way to solve it, and if so what would it be?...
Advert
Old 08-27-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
This should be moved to the Library Management sub-forum. Could a mod do that? Thanks.

But, here's why what is happening, is happening:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #4
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
The solution to get them into Calibre, properly, is to add them through the "add books" function.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #5
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
The solution to get them into Calibre, properly, is to add them through the "add books" function.
Thanks a lot indeed.
Actually I had tried another method : since I had all the documents on my Kindle, I deleted all the useless "low number folders" from the Calibre Library, then I transferred all the documents from the Kindle to the computer, and then converted them back from .mobi to .epub so as to have both on Calibre. I guess the files are completely unchanged from what they were in the original EPub (or if there are changes they should be negligible, since these are basically 99% text-only files).
Probably not the most elegant and not the most efficient method, but it did work.
Advert
Old 08-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
ADD BOOKS is the only way. The books are fine. The number are part of the DB's method for matching entries FOR THE LIBRARY THEY WERE MADE FOR.

OK, I sorta lied (about the Only part).
IF and Only IF you copied the entire Library folder to that stick (there will be a metadata.db file if you did it correct).
Simply attach the drive: right click the Library Icon: Switch/Create: USE EXISTING:<point it to the stick drive folder that had metadata.db>:

If you did this correct, you will see the old Laptop Libraries books.

Select books you want to merge into you main: Right-click: copy to Library (optional mode) <main one>.

FWIW I use this all the time on a HARD WIRED network to PULL from the laptop. (Pushing from the laptop is unreliable. Using WiFi in the mix, is another problem area to avoid. WIRE has no delays )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
snip

FWIW I use this all the time on a HARD WIRED network to PULL from the laptop. (Pushing from the laptop is unreliable. Using WiFi in the mix, is another problem area to avoid. WIRE has no delays )
You need to check your wifi network, I never use the usb, always use the network.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You need to check your wifi network, I never use the usb, always use the network.

bernie
I avoid WiFi for this because ANY congestion can break things (up) at the wrong time for a copy to Library. Calibre is a series of transactions. Delays can break things.
I use my WiFi with CC all the time without issue. (I am ,and trust my CAT6 more than WiFi . Besides, I get 300Mbps from my Cable company when I use the wire )

One of my guesses why a PULL works (solid), is the data is buffered on the PC before it actually lands into the Library, whereas the push expects completion of all steps (I used to see the GUI hangs, not the app, when trying 'remote things')
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
files not showing, lost files, transfer