Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
The OP specifically asked NOT to connect both to a host computer, but rather to connect the Kindle directly to the Android device.
Quote:
But it doesn't answer the question, as the OP wants to transfer books directly from one device to the other. That is, I'm guessing, without a third device in the middle.
I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I wasn't trying to be difficult. I just don't know anything about Android. I have an iPad, iPod Touch, and a couple of Kindles. I had no idea how the fix you mentioned worked.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I wasn't trying to be difficult. I just don't know anything about Android. I have an iPad, iPod Touch, and a couple of Kindles. I had no idea how the fix you mentioned worked.
Sounds pretty clear cut to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How to mount a USB storage device to an Android device
With linked guide. Questioning how it works is supposed to come after reading the link.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did read the link. It still didn't make clear to me who was supposed to be the hosting device. Maybe because I am not familiar with all the terminology used.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can the PW download docs from web servers, like my KK, with it's 'experimental browser' can?
If so, then you can also run one of the many apps that let you manage your Android device via a web connection, and pull files to the PW via WiFi that way. No cables at all.
ES File Explorer is one app that I use for stuff like that.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I've done this just fine with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and my PW. The key is that one of the devices (in this case the tablet) must have USB host, and you must use an OTG cable, not a regular USB cable. If both of those conditions are present, the Kindle shows up in the tablet's file manager just like any other hard drive, and you can transfer files back and forth easily.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Can the PW download docs from web servers, like my KK, with it's 'experimental browser' can?
If so, then you can also run one of the many apps that let you manage your Android device via a web connection, and pull files to the PW via WiFi that way. No cables at all.
No, because the Paperwhite does not run Android, and you can't install Android apps on it. Paperwhites run Linux, not Android.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
No, because the Paperwhite does not run Android, and you can't install Android apps on it. Paperwhites run Linux, not Android.
Sigh.

Once again, it is the other way around.

Run the app on the Android device.

Browse on the PW using the browser (installed by Amazon), to the web server being produced by the Android device.

Download files.

This also works the other way around by installing a web server on the PW without bundling it into an android app. I am sure someone must've made a hack for it. If not, the easy way out (without cross-compiling for the Kindle architecture) would be to make a chroot environment running ArchLinuxArm or Raspbian, and install the web server from there.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-15-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes, it can.

Only .mobi/.azw/.azw3 and perhaps a few others? I don't think it downloads PDF or TXT? Either way, I prefer the SkipStone browser hack, which supports downloading any filetype, to a specified save directory.

Tags
android, file, kindle, paperwhite, transfer