Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #151
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
I'm not blaming you, of course. I appreciate your help. But don't you think they might have told us about the change?
It looks like this is an older thread that's been kept going. Here is the thread on the latest (Dec19) update. See the first post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161796
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #152
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Overdrive works fine, installs on the Dec 19 update no problem.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #153
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
My Vox charger has a little weak spot on it and there is now a bit of wire exposed there. My husband took it to the shop and put some kind of shrink wrap thing on it to strengthen it and cover the wire to prevent a short circuit. The charger still works. I contacted Vox tech support, figuring warranty would replace it. (I had no trouble with my Lenovo laptop when the charger was giving trouble within the warranty time, they just shipped out a new one right away.) Kobo will not replace the charger, they told me to see if the original vendor (Best Buy) will do so. As if Best Buy will actually have spare chargers just sitting around. Would be nice if they did, but I rather have my doubts.
I contacted help@kobobooks.com asking whether extra chargers could be purchased, since they appeared to be proprietary. The reply I got showed the person didn't really know the product. I then posted the same question on http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo I finally received an answer as follows:

Quote:
Thank you very much for bringing this question to our attention. Yo are right, at this time Kobo chargers are not sold seperately,
We are aware that some of our customers would like to be able to access extra accessories and to that end we are working toward a permanent resolution.
At this time, if you are experiencing any issues with your charger we would be happy to ship a replacement to you free of charge.

Please let us know.
I would suggest you follow the same route if yours is on the way out. Once you have a new one, perhaps you could dissect the cable and find out exactly what's in there so we kludge something up to use a 2 amp aftermarket charger.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #154
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Vox
So I've gone through 3 chargers. First one was a super cheap 1A/5V charger. Using that, with the unit in use, the charger couldn't keep up - power went down! I then got a 2A charger for a galaxy (5 times the price of the 1A unit). This just locked the vox up! Then, from advice on the forum, I now have a 2A ipad charger (with correct USB cable and more money again). This doesn't seem to charge :-( I plugged the vox on the charger yesterday with it showing 90%. I left it on for 3 hours. Still showed 90%. I then disconnected it and did a hard start (10 seconds pwr button). When it came up it still showed 90%. Connected the genuine charger and it still showed 90%. After an hour on the correct charger it was back at 100%. So I'm not convinced the 2Amp charger is actually charging at all! I'm now doing the same test but with 70% level. So it's been sat on with wifi on and with the 2Amp charger now for 3 hours. Still showing 70%. So it hasn't gone down so I assume some power is going into the unit. I'll leave it on the 2Amp ipad charger for 2 or 3 more hours and then plug the vox charger back in. However, so far, it looks like the ipad charger will power the unit but not charge it.

Last edited by solwisesteve; 01-05-2012 at 07:21 AM.
solwisesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #155
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Other chargers may not show the true charge level.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #156
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
So I've gone through 3 chargers. First one was a super cheap 1A/5V charger. Using that, with the unit in use, the charger couldn't keep up - power went down! I then got a 2A charger for a galaxy (5 times the price of the 1A unit). This just locked the vox up! Then, from advice on the forum, I now have a 2A ipad charger (with correct USB cable and more money again). This doesn't seem to charge :-( I plugged the vox on the charger yesterday with it showing 90%. I left it on for 3 hours. Still showed 90%. I then disconnected it and did a hard start (10 seconds pwr button). When it came up it still showed 90%. Connected the genuine charger and it still showed 90%. After an hour on the correct charger it was back at 100%. So I'm not convinced the 2Amp charger is actually charging at all! I'm now doing the same test but with 70% level. So it's been sat on with wifi on and with the 2Amp charger now for 3 hours. Still showing 70%. So it hasn't gone down so I assume some power is going into the unit. I'll leave it on the 2Amp ipad charger for 2 or 3 more hours and then plug the vox charger back in. However, so far, it looks like the ipad charger will power the unit but not charge it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Other chargers may not show the true charge level.

That's exactly what I said in each of my postings! To see the true charge, you either have to pull off the back cover and press the reset button (which is hardly practical to do every time), or turn the Vox off, connect the original charger and turn it back on (which is also a pain in the xxxx to do). So, solwiswsteve, do that before assuming there is no charging with your other chargers, it's just that the battery indicator doesn't update....

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-05-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo correction
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #157
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I would suggest you follow the same route if yours is on the way out. Once you have a new one, perhaps you could dissect the cable and find out exactly what's in there so we kludge something up to use a 2 amp aftermarket charger.
After posting on the getsatisfaction site, along with my ticket number, I was contacted by e-mail and told they would ship out a replacement charger.

They have simply got to make chargers available as a separate purchase. It's quite feasible that chargers will get lost or damaged.

For all the little wrinkles, problems, and issues with this product, at least one can actually engage with company employees and developers and provide feedback, and it does have effect, which is nice to see.

I'll be watching for chargers online and on store shelves in the not too distant future.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #158
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Okay... After 5hrs on the ipad charger it was still on 70%. Disconnected the charger and do a hard start (on battery) and still shows 70%. Then left on with wifi enabled for an hour - down to 50%!!! So, from what people are saying, to get the battery level to show correctly I have to power off. Connect proper charger and then power on again? Yes? So, if I do that I can expect the charge level to suddenly shoot back up? If the ipad charger really was charging the device up then, when I then connect the proper charger, I should expect the charge level to suddenly go up? Yes? From my experiment before I'm not sure if I'm seeing this but I'll do the experiment; connect the vox charger and see if it suddenly shoots up.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #159
oldyellr
Evangelist

Other than 49Kat's charger cable getting frayed, it appears that the problem is not having a spare charger to use in an alternate location and the short cable length of the existing charger. No doubt Kobo will eventually have aftermarket chargers available sometime in the future. Meanwhile, is anyone brave enough to try splicing in a piece of cable to extend the original?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #160
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Okay... After 5hrs on the ipad charger it was still on 70%. Disconnected the charger and do a hard start (on battery) and still shows 70%. Then left on with wifi enabled for an hour - down to 50%!!! So, from what people are saying, to get the battery level to show correctly I have to power off. Connect proper charger and then power on again? Yes? So, if I do that I can expect the charge level to suddenly shoot back up? If the ipad charger really was charging the device up then, when I then connect the proper charger, I should expect the charge level to suddenly go up? Yes? From my experiment before I'm not sure if I'm seeing this but I'll do the experiment; connect the vox charger and see if it suddenly shoots up.
Last night, as a test, I charged overnight with the Vox cable & iPad charger and what I saw was that although it charges for a time (as verified with the battery level reset), if I leave it plugged in overnight, it loses charge. I charged it from half to full power (verified that with reset button) before going to bed, left it plugged in and by morning it had only 50% left again. Not sure at what point that starts to happen but could it be that once it is fully charged, if left connected, the Vox starts to discharge?

Note that I am usually using my Blackberry cable which is a much heavier cable than the Vox's and much longer at 45 inches. The BB cable is A/B style 2725, 30 v,28 awg/2c and charges really well with no issues at all. I generally leave it plugged in overnight and the Vox is still fully charged in the morning. The Vox cable is shorter, flimsier, nothing written on it...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #161
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

Bl**dy 'ell!! So at this rate is seems it's impossible to use ANY charge except the genuine article. :-( So kobo need to URGENTLY start offereing seperate chargers.

btw both kobo and the uk supplier seem to be ignoring my support posts concerning SOD or where to get replacement chargers from :-(
Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #162
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

So kobo say my vox is faulty and needs replacing. They wanted me to post it to Holland!! No way!! My UK supplier says to pop into my local shop and they'll swap it for me :-) I hope this fixes SOD.... btw I will see if they notice it if I don't include the charger in the old box ;-)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #163
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

After a bnit of mucking about I ended up getting the unit replaced by my high street supplier. After two weeks the replacement unit is till performing great. sleep mode works and battery life as expected: c. 7 hrs just reading and 3-4 hours streaming over wifi.

Impression so far is the old unit was faulty and SOD might well be due to faulty products!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #164
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Impression so far is the old unit was faulty and SOD might well be due to faulty products!
If you mean hardware, I think this is highly unlikely.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote