Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #16
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
On topic: If that article is to be trusted, sad story. Too bad people aren't sensible enough to allow other options.
(The example with the retention-flags. If that idiot professor didn't ruin it, perhaps all libraries could do something like that. I *think* libraries here do it similar to that - put old books in a grab basket and let people rummage through it. Of course, we're not talking about 100k of books.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
cracked has a shocking amount of fascinating and informative articles on science and history. last week they had one about how the food industry is filling food with wood pulp.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic?

I saw that article too and started to read it - about halfway I decided the author is a loon who doesn't know anything.
I doubt that processed food in America is that much different from here.

As has been said on the comments there - the so-called "wood pulp" is actually cellulose - and that is neither harmful nor useless.
It may be questionable if it's used instead of real stuff, but I don't think you can prove that.

I remember reading - perhaps it was on that site too - that someone wondered why there is SUGAR in a can of lentil soup.
If that question would have been in a different context, I'd have applauded it, because the question itself is worthy of thought.
But as it was, it was merely a display of ignorance and paranoia.
(i.e. sugar is in there because it makes the food taste better. Blame our currupted taste buds, if you want. But that sugar and salt are often used to improve taste isn't new. Salt is in chocolate too, for that same reason, not because the big bad companies want to poison us.)

WRT to paranoia: Traces of food additive E160a have been found in pre-prepared carrot salad! Quite often accompanied by additive E260!
The former can cause skin coloration, while the latter is inflamable.

Horrible, isn't it?
Too bad beta-carotine and acetic acid are always in carrots and vinegar...

Here's another good ammonia-related incident: E503(ii). When heated, it "converts" to ammonia, water and CO2.
That's what is often used in gingerbread, as leavening agent.
Of course, in ye olde days they wouldn't have used that, they'd used all-natural "salts of hartshorn".

(Too bad the main ingredient in salts of hartshorn IS the stuff also called E503.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Shakespeare was quite popular in the 18th century. So there ought to be quite a few 18th-century printings floating around. I've bought even 16th-century books for a song, and of course they often have writing in them from the original owners.

As regards books in general, surely there's a huge amount of junk in circulation.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #18
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Its just stuff and the desire to keep it all forever is just nostalgia gone mad.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure, but I think this thread may have Godwin-ed itself before it even started. Is that legal?
This.

I don't think we're in a book-burning time, but we are in a time of change wrt books - they are becoming digital.

I've been throwing a bunch of out-of-date technical books out recently and will continue to do so, I'll hang on to many, as well as many fiction and non-fiction books, but I suspect their time is numbered as well as my ebook library grows and replaces them.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I can only speak for my local library and area. A twice per year sale of books no longer wanted on the shelves of the local library is the main mechanism for raising funds for our Friends of the Library organization. It costs the library nothing as we just use the large multi-use room on the top floor and the cashiers tables are manned by volunteers. We also take in books donated by individuals in the community. We gladly accept anything that is in good enough shape that it does not belong in a paper recycle bin, except no textbooks. Set prices are cheap, $0.10 for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardcover, and we generally sell out everything.

Those Cracked.com articles tend to be a germ of truth with a whole lot of exaggeration and humor thrown in.
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Cracked articles are generally adequately sourced enough to be credible information on whatever the topic of the article is.
That actually has not been my experience, on topics I know a lot about. They are prone to accepting even ridiculous urbran legends at face value, even ones that haven thoroughly debunked. And they will always choose the most entertaining interpretation of available facts, not matter how sketchy.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Here is a better article, prompted by the Cracked article but less sensational. He even talked to a librarian: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-destroy-books
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
Here is a better article, prompted by the Cracked article but less sensational. He even talked to a librarian: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-destroy-books
wait, this is a blog called monkeysee??
Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Academic libraries do not exist to preserve artifacts
Most libraries do not exist to preserve artifacts athough there are some that do.

These days most libraries and librarians are not intellectual preservers of lost or rare books, but more akin to stores store clerks. It is a job and they do what they are told. Who can blame them.

If the library doesn't acquire a book through regular channels it goes on the sale rack. If a book is deteroriating in physical quality it goes in the sales bin or is turfed even if it is the last copy in existence.

How could the branch librarian know it is rare or unique without being given the time and motivation to check on these things.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This.

I don't think we're in a book-burning time, but we are in a time of change wrt books - they are becoming digital.

I've been throwing a bunch of out-of-date technical books out recently and will continue to do so, I'll hang on to many, as well as many fiction and non-fiction books, but I suspect their time is numbered as well as my ebook library grows and replaces them.
Shouldn't we be recycling our obsolete reference manuals? Although burning them for warmth is fine. I would suggest taking any general fiction/nonfiction and leaving it in public spaces for the public to peruse at their leisure.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #26
kennyc

Winter is coming, I could us them in the fireplace.

I really don't know for sure, but some say recycling books/paper takes more energy and/or more environmental damage than growing new trees.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #27
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
My local library funds their e-book program by cutting a hole in the center of the old hardbounds then sells them for e-book reader holders.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #28
ilovepurple2234
ilovepurple2234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Mac/ Adobe Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
My local library funds their e-book program by cutting a hole in the center of the old hardbounds then sells them for e-book reader holders.
I really really hope you are joking.

Some of us still like normal books (I like them because they smell, as Giles said in Buffy) and they could always sell those and buy ebooks with the money.
ilovepurple2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepurple2234 View Post
I really really hope you are joking.

Some of us still like normal books (I like them because they smell, as Giles said in Buffy) and they could always sell those and buy ebooks with the money.
How much could they sell them for? $0.25, $1.00, $2.00? I'm betting they earn more than that as cases.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #30
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
@ the red tape fiasco!

I speak from experience when I say that books don't burn easily. We spent an entire winter once trying to burn a set of encyclopedias (mildew.) No amount of accelerant would speed up the process. It became a neighborhood project that was largely unsuccessful. Eventually, the remains had to be bagged and hauled to the dump.

My personal library has went from a wall of shelves, to a single bookshelf, to a pie safe, and now is contained within a single kitchen sized cabinet. I anticipate it being reduced to a few choice books eventually as I am able to part with them. Times change.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 10-29-2011 at 04:44 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote