Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most books that are available in ePub format are also available for Kindle (.mobi/.azw), so that shouldn't be an issue, if you are talking about books you might buy in future.

PDF is a different story. Converted documents are not the same as reading in native PDF.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
mlaiti00
mlaiti00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry, I'm not agree with you.
I tested PDF on my KINDLE DX last generation. It doesn't work fine.
With format PDF :
1) We cannot use the contents table.
2) we cannot click on the paragraph or chapter to a content table, to be redirected directly on the target chapter or paragraph.
3) We cannot clin on any link to be redirected to another chapter
4) dictionary doesn't work
5) cursor doesn't work
6) text to speech doens't work

With PDF concerted to ".*azw" format :
1) It's very slow to move cursor from line to line
2) Very slow to turn page
3) No click work to be redirect to another paragraph or chapter
4) The text is very badly formated : the lines aren't aligned.
5) dictionary works.
6) text to speech works.
7) two slow to be used ...

Tested with KINDLE format :
1) Just EXCELLENT : EXCELLENT.
2) Maybe a little slow. But, it's not embarrassing

Many people come here to share their experience before bying it, so let me say objectively and sincerily what it is.
Thank for all.
mlaiti00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaiti00 View Post
Sorry, I'm not agree with you.
I tested PDF on my KINDLE DX last generation. It doesn't work fine.
With format PDF :
1) We cannot use the contents table.
2) we cannot click on the paragraph or chapter to a content table, to be redirected directly on the target chapter or paragraph.
3) We cannot clin on any link to be redirected to another chapter
4) dictionary doesn't work
5) cursor doesn't work
6) text to speech doens't work

Many people come here to share their experience before bying it, so let me say objectively and sincerily what it is.
Thank for all.
I think there is a misunderstanding.

You are referring to firmware and Kindle DXG features. That does not mean that the format itself or layout is being improperly displayed.

It is well known that Kindle DXG does not support table of content, text to speech, dictionary, etc. I don't want to be rude, but you should check for those features before buying. Actually, is one of the reason why I use the Kindle DXG for my computer books and iPad for PDFs.

It would not be fair to say that something does not work when that feature is not being provided at all.

And like other people already mentioned, converting PDF to a different format will give you horrible results. It's because the format itself.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding.
I think it's a language barrier. He's listing why the DX doesn't meet his needs. I think.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think it's a language barrier. He's listing why the DX doesn't meet his needs. I think.
That makes more sense.

And you are correct. Kindle DXG is not suitable for some users. But it's not that does not work; those features he mentioned are not provided out of the box. To me, not working is something broken, a feature that has been provided and stopped working at some point or it is not working as expected.

If my car can't make 0 to 60 in 6 seconds does not mean is broken, lol, means has not been designed for that, is not a sport car.

I should reiterate that iPad provides a better PDF experience than Kindle DXG: annotations, links, notes, faster, table of content, etc.
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
mlaiti00
mlaiti00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,
I never said that kindle dx doesn't work. A misunderstanding, because of my bad english.
I said that it's very EXCELLENT for kindle format, and very bad for PDF ( converted to ".azw" or not ), based on my tests. That's my opinion.

I cannot use Ipad. because of his stronge glare even with anti-glare, it's still bad for eyes .. I'm wondering why they don't invent a stronge anti-glare to make TFT screen like enk ...

Actually and for the next 6 months, I have many big PDF to read, and my eyes are a bit sensitive ... So, I'm searching ONLY for enk ebook reader, large screen, with usefull features ( dictionary, search word, annotations, ..etc).

after this discusion, I think I'm waiting for ONYX BOOX M90, hope it's not bugged ...

Thank for all answers.
mlaiti00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #22
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Hello,
after this discusion, I think I'm waiting for ONYX BOOX M90, hope it's not bugged ...

Thank for all answers.
Hopefully it won't. I'll contact Onyx International if they can give me any pictures where we can see how it deals with all the formats (especially PDF).
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Hello,
I never said that kindle dx doesn't work. A misunderstanding, because of my bad english.
I said that it's very EXCELLENT for kindle format, and very bad for PDF ( converted to ".azw" or not ), based on my tests. That's my opinion.
Disagree. Kindle DXG lacks of some important PDF features that could make the reading experience a better one, but it's one of the best devices for PDFs. Granted, not all PDF documents are displayed properly, but it's not a common thing.

If you are looking for an eink device which can provide annotations and more PDF features, maybe you should take a look on Sony ereaders.

By the way, I can be wrong, but you can't convert to azw but mobi. azw its the proprietary Amazon's format.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #24
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By the way, I can be wrong, but you can't convert to azw but mobi. azw its the proprietary Amazon's format.
You are mistaken. AZW is Mobi (which, technically, is indeed Amazon's proprietary format.)
Perhaps you are thinking of AZW1, which is Topaz. Actually, that, too, can now be converted...sometimes...sort of.

Last edited by ApK; 04-14-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
You are mistaken. AZW is Mobi (which, technically, is indeed Amazon's proprietary format.)
Perhaps you are thinking of AZW1, which is Topaz. Actually, that, too, can now be converted...sometimes...sort of.
Hi Apk,

No. I mean, MOBI. AZW is not exactly MOBI format. AZW uses high compression plus DRM. They are different.

You cannot convert epub books to azw format via Calibre, at least, I have not seen that on my Calibre version. And makes sense, because azw is propietary and has DRM encryption (among others features) and it's the main reason why people convert to mobi instead.

You can clearly see that after converting any ebook; the book has "mobi" format at the end of the filename. Amazon for Kindle PC books have "azw" format.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #26
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Duokan on DXG yet.
It surely won't fix many of the OP's issues with PDF on the DX (except for a dictionary), but it sure makes them much better.

mlaiti: the DXG is probably about as good as you're gonna get for PDF on a large screen e-ink device. perhaps you'd be better off with a tablet like an ipad or xoom?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
ApK

Quote:
Hi Apk,

No. I mean, MOBI. AZW is not exactly MOBI format. AZW uses high compression plus DRM. They are different.

You cannot convert epub books to azw format via Calibre, at least, I have not seen that on my version. And makes sense, because azw is propietary and has DRM encryption (among others features) and it's the main reason why people convert to mobi instead.

You can clearly see that after converting any ebook; the book has "mobi" format at the end of the filename. Amazon for Kindle PC books have "azw" format.
I had read the high compression is a mobi option as well.

Not all AZW files have DRM, and when they don't they are just mobi with a different ID code.

Either is proprietary and unpublished, and are only supportable in Calibre by virtue of reverse engineering, though yes, there is no output for AZW specifically.

More to the point, I had misread your post as saying "you can't convert azw to mobi."
Oops.

On the AZW/Mobi details, perhaps one of our MR brethren who have actually taken the bits apart can confirm or correct either of us if we are wrong.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
mlaiti: the DXG is probably about as good as you're gonna get for PDF on a large screen e-ink device. perhaps you'd be better off with a tablet like an ipad or xoom?
Impressed as I am with the PDF viewing on my little Sony, wouldn't the biggest Sony meet more of his PDF wants? Not to mention native epub support.....

ApK
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Impressed as I am with the PDF viewing on my little Sony, wouldn't the biggest Sony meet more of his PDF wants? Not to mention native epub support.....

ApK
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the OP seems to be resorting to epubs simply because he hasn't been able to make PDF work for him the way he likes.
But yeah, if he doesn't mind the smaller screen then the sony would probably be the way to go.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Ummm........

What is the dodgy bit about PDF ?

My PRS 650 seems to have no problems with PDF downloads, or have I missed something vitally important and techy ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote