Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 AM   #946
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Jellby, I will wait for your decision. (Although, after some very light skimming, the Wollamshram posting seems very clean, and might not need much correcting at all).
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 AM   #947
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The Payne version at Wollamshram is much better than Burton's, but both still have problems. Search for "diner", "cost" or "gayest", those are almost always mistakes for "dinar", "dost" and "gavest", to name a few I have noticed.

Something else that could be done, and does not require proofreading, is marking up the remaining Burton volumes in Wikisource, to split them up by stories and have pages, etc., as it has already been done with Vol. 1. I like the Wikisource option because it allows an immediate fix of errors (not so important if I'm the only one working, but useful for collaborations), I may actually upload Payne's version there too...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 03:57 AM   #948
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Illustrated Omnibus of Beatrix Potter's childrens stories

I have just started an illustrated omnibus of the Beatrix Potter children's stories (Peter Rabbit, etc). Her illustrations are simply lovely, and even though there are upwards of 500 images, and even though I swore to take a break from illustrations, I could not resist.
I am using the 22 tales published before 1923, and one published 1930.

The only copy I found of Little Pig Robinson (1930) is on Gutenberg Canada with rather small poor-quality images. Strangely, I am unable to find ANY illustrated copy of Appley Dapply (1917). Archive.org has let me down.

If anyone has a lead for either of these two, I will give you two gold stars and a chocolate-chip cookie!

@Jellby --- ok, I've been away for a bit. What's your decision? Alas, I have never worked with a wiki, doesn't it need special markup language? Let me know what help you need.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #949
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I have just started an illustrated omnibus of the Beatrix Potter children's stories (Peter Rabbit, etc).
Good, that will save me re-doing The Peter Rabbit Stories in ePub. Tell me if you want my source files.

Quote:
If anyone has a lead for either of these two, I will give you two gold stars and a chocolate-chip cookie!
I could probably scan the illustrations from a modern edition of her complete tales (the text wouldn't help you, it's in Spanish), but the book is in another country, so that would take time. I may also be able to find something in the local library, although I don't have a good scanner here.

Quote:
@Jellby --- ok, I've been away for a bit. What's your decision? Alas, I have never worked with a wiki, doesn't it need special markup language? Let me know what help you need.
No decision yet, still working in the first volume for both translations. But I've uploaded all Payne volumes to Wikisource, and "wikified" the text of the first volume (https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_B..._and_One_Night).

For proofreading Burton's translation, not much is needed, just compare the text with the scan and click on "edit" on the wiki side to fix errors. The markup is very simple and can be ignored if you just focus on the text, and not on the format. Proofreading Payne's translation is a bit more complicated, because it has to be done in the "page" interface, (like here) and things like footnotes and sidenotes are a little more involved.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #950
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Jellby, a scan would be a great help if its not too much trouble. I don't know why those two stories are so impossible to find, especially the Appley Dapply from *1917*. (I did find the text for that.) I am astonished Gutenberg never did it. But don't exert yourself greatly, you have the monster 1001 Nights to whip into shape!

I will try to get on the wiki this weekend and see how much damage I can wreak.
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #951
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Jellby, a scan would be a great help if its not too much trouble. I don't know why those two stories are so impossible to find, especially the Appley Dapply from *1917*. (I did find the text for that.) I am astonished Gutenberg never did it. But don't exert yourself greatly, you have the monster 1001 Nights to whip into shape!
Are these stories in the Delphi Beatrix Potter collection?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #952
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Harry, I just checked and they are indeed in the Delphi collection. Also the Fairy Caravan (1929) & Sister Anne (1932), which had been published before her death, but those two also seem to be not available as "public domain" free download anywhere.

I did not even consider any of the ones published after her death, as the editing and stuff probably takes them out of public domain.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #953
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Granny, you can find both Little Pig Robinson and Appley Dapply at openlibrary.org in fine full-colour scans.

As long as the posthumous texts were published before 2014, they definitely are public domain in the “reasonable” parts of the world. They only get additional protection if they were published after that.

Last edited by pynch; 01-15-2015 at 02:38 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:48 AM   #954
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Pynch, thank you for reminding me about OpenLibrary. Their downloads are DRM-protected, so I had tucked them into a back corner of my memory long ago, but I can certainly read them on-line and take screen-shots!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:53 AM   #955
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Pynch, thank you for reminding me about OpenLibrary. Their downloads are DRM-protected, so I had tucked them into a back corner of my memory long ago, but I can certainly read them on-line and take screen-shots!
Expect a PM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 AM   #956
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@Jellby, you're off the hook! But thank you for the very kind offer.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #957
titusbramble
Im Anna
titusbramble began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Hi. I would like to offer my help to convert eBooks. Give me a suggestion of books and I will help out

\Anna
titusbramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #958
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
@Jellby, I will wait for your decision. (Although, after some very light skimming, the Wollamshram posting seems very clean, and might not need much correcting at all).
I've decided to go with Payne's translation first. It's easier (fewer footnotes), has a better nested-quotes structure, and I will be adding to Wikisource a text that is not there.

If anyone wants to help, just proofread the pages at Wikisource. I'm adding the text from wollamshram, and fixing all I can as I change the formatting, but there are probably plenty of OCR mistakes left.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #959
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusbramble View Post
Hi. I would like to offer my help to convert eBooks. Give me a suggestion of books and I will help out

\Anna
Hi Anna,
Generally most posters just pick a book over at project Gutenberg that hasn't been posted here and go from there. Of course that's complicated now by the fact that several from there are now in the offline area due to things like server changes. Of course the only books that can be posted are those in the Public Domain which is why PG is the source for most of those posted here. I do think they should have put together a list of what was being pulled and why as they weded out things. It would have been helpful to those os us who do post books from PG.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:21 AM   #960
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I do think they should have put together a list of what was being pulled and why as they weded out things.
Well, the list is implicit there, in the offline forums. Basically, anything with an author (or translator, or illustrator) who wasn't dead in 1945, and that's not explicitly allowed otherwise.

It's too many books to give a detailed reasoning for all, but if you have doubts about any one, you can ask in the appropriate thread.