Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Will the store you got the ebook from refund your money since it was corrupted? I've heard of both Kobo and Amazon giving refunds for problem books. It's worth a shot to ask.
It was Books On Board. I've sent them an e-mail. We'll see.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Books on Board keeps all your purchases on a bookself. You should be able to delete the book on your computer and download it again. Up in the upper left corner of the page after logging in, it is under "Cart" and "Wishlist".

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-30-2010 at 04:57 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Did removing the ebook solve the slowness issue?

Glad to hear your Kobo is back in action though!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Books on Board keeps all your purchases on a bookself. You should be able to delete the book on your computer and download it again. Up in the upper left corner of the page after logging in, it is under "Cart" and "Wishlist".
I've tried that several times. It seems that it's the actual book file that's the problem and not with the download. At least that's my best guess.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Did removing the ebook solve the slowness issue?

Glad to hear your Kobo is back in action though!
Yes it seems to be running fine now without the book however I was forced to upgrade to 1.4 firmware and am very disappointed. I timed it out. It takes 55 seconds to open a book from powered off. It used to take 37 with the previous firmware.
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Duiker
Addict

Well I haven't heard back from Books On Board yet, however in the meantime I decided I still wanted to read the book so I bought ANOTHER copy from Kobo. Guess what? SAME problem. It must be that the file is badly made by the publisher. I'm going to post something in the 'news' section here and see if anyone else has bought this book. It's The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
MOM
MOM began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
TO ANYONE WHO HAS A KOBO READER WITH A FROZEN SCREEN. I PLUGGED IN MY READER TO THE USB PORT AND THEN HIT THE RESET KEY. MY READER IS NOW RUNNING FINE.
MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I had a similar problem. Kobo completely froze couldnt reset no button pushes resulted in any lights at all. battery was probably 1/2 full according to the icon. Let it charge over night and suddenly worked like a charm. that was a month ago and no problems since?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #24
IhateKobo
IhateKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi,

I have the exact same issue as Original Poster.
Kobo is stuck on home page with seven loading squares.

Problem is I cannot take it to a store to be 'resurrected' using SD card as OP has done.
This has apparently only happened at Chapters stores in Canada and Borders stores in Australia. Over here in NZ i get only funny looks when I suggest this.

It is also out of warranty and cannot be replaced by Kobo.

Does anyone know how i can reinstall the OS using SD card? or any other suggestions?

PS:
Please use this thread to discuss this specific problem.
If you think doing a hard reset, calling
Kobo support, deleting recent ebooks, or upgrading to db software 1.4 or 1.8 will fix this problem, please read the whole thread.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IhateKobo; 02-07-2011 at 10:47 PM.
IhateKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 1st thought would be call Kobo because it shouldn't be out of warranty. It has a 1 year warranty and I don't think they were on sale by Feb of last year.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #26
IhateKobo
IhateKobo began at the beginning.

o thanks thats an idea, and perhaps a last resort. As Kobo support told me that it will take 5-6 weeks to replace.
Im editing posts simply to get another ihateKobo on this thread.

Thanks
IhateKobo.

Last edited by IhateKobo; 02-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.
IhateKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #27
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I am also in NZ - I must say that I don't think your user name is particularly helpful if you are looking for advice here. Most of us here are willing to help, but it's not a good start to call yourself that.

If Whitcoulls have told you that the kobo is out of warranty they are wrong. It is 12 months. Here is a link to the fine print - take it into Whitcoulls.

http://whitcoulls.zendesk.com/entrie...e-what-do-i-do
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #28
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateKobo View Post
Does anyone know how i can reinstall the OS using SD card? or any other suggestions?
There is a thread on the subject. Just follow it.

Quote:
If you think doing a hard reset, calling
Kobo support, deleting recent ebooks, or upgrading to db software 1.4 or 1.8 will fix this problem, please read the whole thread.
I think firmware install would solve the problem. In any case, more info
should trigger more answers. I.e. does it start again after paperclip?
Could you see it as a mountable file system?
The main question is: is it a hardware problem or not. In later, sd card
is the method of choice.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateKobo View Post
Problem is I cannot take it to a store to be 'resurrected' using SD card as OP has done.
This has apparently only happened at Chapters stores in Canada and Borders stores in Australia. Over here in NZ i get only funny looks when I suggest this.

It is also out of warranty and cannot be replaced by Kobo.
Huh? No way is it out of warranty! The manufacturer's warranty should be 12 months, and I think Whitcoulls only started selling them in NZ around the middle of 2010.

Also remember that in NZ we have the Consumer's Guarantees Act, which says that the retailer has to help you sort out any problems you have, they aren't allowed to just tell you to contact the manufacturer. You are entitled to give it to the retailer and tell them to deal with the manufacturer to get the problem fixed.

And, in addition, the manufacturer isn't allowed to specify an unreasonably short time for the warranty period. The CGA says that an item should last as long as most normal people would expect it to last (i.e. a washing machine shouldn't have a 12 month warranty because most people would expect it to last for more than a year). Just because the warranty card says it's for 12 months doesn't mean that you have to accept that, the law is on your side in this case! I would think that most people would expect an e-reader to last more than a year, probably more like three years would be reasonable. Certainly if my Kobo breaks down within the next two years I will be expecting Whitcoulls to sort it out and arrange either a repair or a replacement.

For more info on the Consumer Guarantees Act see http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/c...guarantees-act and in particular look at the "Your Questions Answered" section where they give an example of a washing machine breaking down one week after it's warranty has expired (they say it has to be fixed).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote