Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Transferring Books to Older Devices

I use a Story HD. And a Mac.

If I try to transfer/copy books from within Calibre, (a) there's no option to transfer to a specific folder so I can actually find anything, instead it sets up several author-specific folders at root, so I have to navigate past them to reach anything. (b) the only option is whether to transfer to the device proper or the inserted sd card. (c) and if I choose the inserted sd card, it ignores that and transfers to the main device.

I have to quit Calibre and manually copy files from the library, but then I have to navigate past extra files due to different file systems.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Sending books to device.
Set a filename template.

Or use the device-specific override, if you have customized your device plugin -- with device plugged in, right-click "device" in the toolbar, and select Customize this device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And if all else fails, you can use plain-old Save to Disk to save your books right onto the SD card.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Preferences ==> Sending books to device.
Set a filename template.
Why? Filenames aren't the issue. Organization is. Calibre's library organization is good for Calibre, but it is ridiculous for someone trying to use their e-reader to have to sort through a bunch of extra folders, on root, on the wrong memory card.

Quote:
Or use the device-specific override, if you have customized your device plugin -- with device plugged in, right-click "device" in the toolbar, and select Customize this device.
What device plugin? All I find under "Configure this device" are options for preferred file format, metadata, and sub-directories. I don't know whether that last one is supposed to avoid the extra folders, or is supposed to allow users to export into existing folders.

I need to be able to export to the right folder, on the right card, without the extra folders.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
And if all else fails, you can use plain-old Save to Disk to save your books right onto the SD card.
Looks useful, avoids the extra folders, seems to transfer three files when I try to ave one epub file.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Why? Filenames aren't the issue. Organization is. Calibre's library organization is good for Calibre, but it is ridiculous for someone trying to use their e-reader to have to sort through a bunch of extra folders, on root, on the wrong memory card.
Because folders are part of the filename.

I didn't make that suggestion because it was definitively irrelevant.

Quote:
What device plugin? All I find under "Configure this device" are options for preferred file format, metadata, and sub-directories. I don't know whether that last one is supposed to avoid the extra folders, or is supposed to allow users to export into existing folders.

I need to be able to export to the right folder, on the right card, without the extra folders.
That *is* the device plugin.

Unchecking subfolders should do it, but there should also be a box to fill in a filename save template.
The default calibre filename save template includes an {authors} folder. Which I was given to understand you find distasteful.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My device can ONLY use folders, So i have a slightly complex template.

Book without series:
/00No Series/Authors_<1st letter of last name>/{Authors}/{title}

Books with series:
/Series_<1st letter of Series>/{series}/{Series_Index} - {title}

Needles to say, not all devices are the same.
Not all devices are friendly towards (outside) developers

We work with what we get. And we try and help others arrive at the doable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

I'm trying to export to a holding folder on my Mac, for transfer to the IRiver. I set the preferences for saving books to:

{#genre}/{series}/{author_sort}/{title}/{title} - {authors}

However, Calibre truncates the #genre names and author names as it exports. So "Health" gets divided into 3 folders for "Health," "Heth," and "Hh." "Sharon Heller" becomes "Hellaron."

Some other posts suggest that this can happen because the patha are too long. I tried shortening the outside folder names [Calibre Transfer became Transfer, etc.], recovered a couple letters in some folder names, but didn't solve the problem.

The e-reader can't handle too many items in each directory, so it needs folders containing folders, so I need separate genre, sometimes series, and author listings.

I'd probably have to export to my home directory to avoid truncation, and I don't want to do that.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

I can shorten the preference to:

{#genre}/{series}/{title} - {authors}

It's still not enough to reliably avoid truncation.

I've started "sav[ing] only epub format to disk in a single directory." I'm planning to save to a transfer folder, reorganize, and copy the transfer folder.

But I've started getting extra files - an image of the first page, and one other. *headdesk* I have to clear those out.

P.S. Okay, I can change save to disk prefs to change that.

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-18-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

I'm trying direct exports again.

I've had some success with the Kindle, where direct exports let me create collections in Calibre.

I haven't had any success with the Iriver. Calibre exports to the wrong folder, in the wrong memory card. If I try to export to main memory, it exports to the sd card. If I try to export to storage card a, it exports to main memory, and runs out of space. I can switch this around, but it is a frustrating bug.

Also error messages for empty books, no list of required space for a selection of books, etc.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm trying direct exports again.

I've had some success with the Kindle, where direct exports let me create collections in Calibre.

I haven't had any success with the Iriver. Calibre exports to the wrong folder, in the wrong memory card. If I try to export to main memory, it exports to the sd card. If I try to export to storage card a, it exports to main memory, and runs out of space. I can switch this around, but it is a frustrating bug.

Also error messages for empty books, no list of required space for a selection of books, etc.
Each Device (when connected) has a Configuration available from the Device View menu

The Send To menu has a Default, BUT there is a Right-click Menu that allows choice
Old 08-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

Yes, it allows choice...

If I choose to send to main memory, Calibre sends to the sd card, and vice-versa, and also sends everything to the wrong folder.

Is there any way to correct the configuration now? Instead of when I've plugged in the device? Because with the Kindle in particular, the connection could drop again, at any moment, again.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes, it allows choice...

If I choose to send to main memory, Calibre sends to the sd card, and vice-versa, and also sends everything to the wrong folder.

Is there any way to correct the configuration now? Instead of when I've plugged in the device? Because with the Kindle in particular, the connection could drop again, at any moment, again.

Find the driver in Preferences: Plugins: Device Interface (section): <device model family>: Customize plugin (button)

I am not sure if this updates an EXISTING USAGE (stored in the configuration folder)
The where is not part of the individual device setting (bummer for those with many different devices)

Tags
calibre, file systems, transfer