Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Buying an Ebook: In the real world

Ok My dad 60+ has a Cool-ER reader and so does my Mum, I have a sony 300 and my wife has a 505.

My dad still needs help buying Ebooks let me explain why using a recent example.

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson - Hardback £7.01 from amazon.co.uk(free shipping)

So first of all we use ebooks.addall.com to search the various shops, I check all of the UK shops and BooksonboardUSA(as they are cheaper and some books are available) and Sony USA (as i have store credit there I buy when on holiday)

so here are the results of that search-

1 Witch & Wizard £ 6.23 Books OnBoard Epub
2 Witch & Wizard £ 6.23 Books OnBoard Epub / Audio Book MP3 / Audio Book WMA
3 Witch & Wizard £ 6.24 Sony eBooks Epub
4 Witch & Wizard £ 7.80 Waterstones UK Epub
5 Witch & Wizard £ 9.10 Whsmith UK Epub
6 Witch & Wizard £ 10.37 Books OnBoard UKEpub
7 Witch & Wizard £ 11.69 Rbooks UK Epub

So the first three are all cheaper than the hardback, however they are all US based and involve hoops(to be explained).
ALL of the UK based shops charge more for the ebook than Amazon do for the hardback!

so lets go for cheapest BoB US but wait "That title is not allowed for sale within your country." ok fine I kind of expected that. But I have to check because eg James rollins - Amazonia was available in my country and cheaper.

So for every book I have to go to BoB and log in and try and buy the book to see if I can or not! simples...

So now I have to decide if using my Sony dollars in the account is a worthwhile purchase and I decide I have $100 in there and am back in the US in May so why not.

So I purchase for him from Sony store and download it then have to open Adobe software and load the book into that to then import the downloaded book into adobe then via that into the Cool-ER.

job done one book purchased and £1.56 saved, unless i compare it to the Hardback price in which case i just saved £0.76 ... hmm

I love my Ereaders as do my family, but they need to make buying books better.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I love my Ereaders as do my family, but they need to make buying books better.
That's the main selling point of the Kindle of course - browse the bookstore on the Kindle itself, click the "buy" button, and 2 minutes later you're reading the book. Really couldn't be easier. I don't particularly like the Kindle as a reader, but they've certainly got the buying process right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Additionally Amazon filters in advance what's available in your country or not. This may sometimes be annoying if you're looking for a specific title but it also simplifies the buying process.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Additionally Amazon filters in advance what's available in your country or not. This may sometimes be annoying if you're looking for a specific title but it also simplifies the buying process.
I agree. I'd rather know at the outset that the book isn't available in my country than to get all the way to the checkout before being told. This is a plus point for Amazon.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
For the non-computer savvy the Kindle store model is the best. Simple, and just works. If they could keep that model, and open up the format options, I would have bought one.

I strongly agree that DRM/Formats/Geo issues, make buying an ebook much to complex. The industry will have to respond to all this over the next few years, and hopefully come to a more consumer friendly solution.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep. This will never work if they (publishers/sellers) don't get this process streamlined. Common format is one step. No DRM is another. and No GeoRestrictions....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep. This will never work if they (publishers/sellers) don't get this process streamlined. Common format is one step. No DRM is another. and No GeoRestrictions....
DRM really isn't an issue IF you have a common format (which ePub finally has become - with the exception of Amazon). If the DRM doesn't restrict the range of devices on which you can read the book, there's really (IMHO) no issue with it.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DRM really isn't an issue IF you have a common format (which ePub finally has become - with the exception of Amazon). If the DRM doesn't restrict the range of devices on which you can read the book, there's really (IMHO) no issue with it.
But we have various formats (epub, mobi, topaz, eReader, etc) and various DRM (Adobe DE, Adobe Social-DE, EreaderDRM, etc. ) applied to them, resulting in even more confusion, but yes if we have a common format as well as a common WORKABLE (without restricting rights) DRM then yeah, but I really don't see any possibility of a common workable DRM regardless of format.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
DRM really isn't an issue IF you have a common format (which ePub finally has become - with the exception of Amazon).
DRM is a smaller issue only if the common format specifies a common DRM scheme, which ePub doesn't. ADE is widespread, but Barnes and Noble's ePub's use a different DRM.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
DRM is a smaller issue only if the common format specifies a common DRM scheme, which ePub doesn't. ADE is widespread, but Barnes and Noble's ePub's use a different DRM.
B&N's DRM scheme will become a part of the next major release of ADE, so other device will be able to use it at some point.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
B&N's DRM scheme will become a part of the next major release of ADE, so other device will be able to use it at some point.
It will be "available" in the next release. Whether it is implemented (and implemented in a common manner) is a different matter.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Stustaff!

It's time to re-evaluate priorities. Was your time worth the $2 you saved by working that hard to save it?

When you found the one for $6 or $7, that was the time to "add to cart" and get on with reading it.

I find that cost of the few books that I end up purchasing is far outweighed by all of the free books. Not worth the trouble of quibbling over pennies.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hi Stustaff!

It's time to re-evaluate priorities. Was your time worth the $2 you saved by working that hard to save it?

When you found the one for $6 or $7, that was the time to "add to cart" and get on with reading it.

I find that cost of the few books that I end up purchasing is far outweighed by all of the free books. Not worth the trouble of quibbling over pennies.
Hi Dixiegal

thanks and yes your right but I do also get pleasure from getting the book at a good deal.

to be honest it still sucks that the simplest option would have been to use google and type

''author-'title'-torrent into it! thats how easy buying should be

But yes i think next time I may just buy the one at £7.80. however sometimes books arent available AT ALL in the UK so then I do have to jump through US shaped hoops.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

''author-'title'-torrent into it! thats how easy buying should be

Actually, I often hear that googling author-title-download works quite well.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
linou
linou began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Actually, I often hear that googling author-title-download works quite well.
And the best thing about that, is you don't have geographical restrictions.
I live in France, and to find recent works in English legally, it can take a lot of time.
And even more to then strip them of their DRM to read them on the device I choose.
Publishers really should make an effort on the price, and realize that geographical restrictions can be lost sales.
linou is offline   Reply With Quote