Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #61
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
(Reposted from the other TTS thread in News & Commentary, for those who read that one and not this one.)

Well, it turns out that clause 4. may not apply because those works *are* available in a TTS-enabled format... if you can provide proof that you're blind or visually impaired. Here's a repost from the Amazon Kindle forums:

Quote:
Initial post: May 18, 2009 3:33 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
With the actual implementation of blocking text-to-speech (TTS), I wanted a clarification from Random House. I found their response very interesting, and although probably unsatisfying to some, better than I thought it might be.

This was my e-mail to them on May 17, 2009 (I apologize for the formatting...it is pretty much the way it came back from their on-line form):

=================================
Question/Comment: I am a customer of Random House who is currently boycotting the company over the decision to block text-to-speech access in e-books. I have also written an article on the controversy. It is my belief that is it acceptable for Random House to block the text-to-speech access in the Kindle editions, provided that 'read aloud' is enabled in another version of the e-book. I base this partially on the Copyright Office statement 37 CFR Part 201 (Docket No. RM 2002-4E), which is available here: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/f...tice-final.pdf ; On page 13, the issue of 'read aloud' is discussed. This is a small excerpt from this government document:
===============
'By using digital rights management tools that implicate access controls, publishers of ebooks can disable the read-aloud function of an ebook and may prevent access to a work in ebook form by means of screen reader software. The record indicates that many ebooks are distributed with these two functions disabled. The disabling of these functions is alleged to prevent the blind and visually impaired from engaging in particular noninfringing uses such as private performance, and to prevent access to these works by blind and visually impaired users altogether. The uses that such persons make by using the "read-aloud" function and screen readers are noninfringing, and are likely to be the most reasonable means of meaningful access for such persons to works that are published in ebook format. To be included in the exempted class, a literary work must exist in ebook format. Moreover, the exemption is not available if any existing edition of the work permits the "readaloud" function or is screen reader-enabled. Thus, a publisher may avoid subjecting any of its works to this exemption simply by ensuring that for each of its works published in ebook form, an edition exists which is accessible to the blind and visually impaired in at least one of these two ways.' ================

Based on my research, it is acceptable for Random House to block the text-to-speech in the Kindle version, only if there exists another e-book version in which 'read aloud' is available. My question, then, is simple. How can a disabled person obtain the version of (for example) The Stand or Dreams from My Father that allows 'read aloud access'? If you have made equivalent versions available to the disabled with this feature enabled, I would stop boycotting. The access of the disabled is my primary focus in this case. Thank you for taking the time to address my concern. I plan to share the answer with others who are interested in this issue. My hope is that this is resolved in a satisfactory way for all involved, and I can go back to buying books from Random House.

===========================================

This is the response I received on May 18, 2009:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Random House and for your interest in our publications. The text to speech feature on our eBook titles is currently disabled. This is an issue that involves author's rights and royalties as well as the rights and royalties of the narrators of our audiobook titles and is currently under study. Please be assured that we will consider your feedback regarding this matter. In the meantime, if you are a student with a disability you may contact our Alternative Texts department by email at alternativetext@randomhouse.com for assistance.

BOOKSHARE is a wonderful resource available for readers with print disabilities. Bookshare is an online library of digital books for people with print disabilities. It operates under an exception to U.S. copyright law which allows copyrighted digital books to be made available to people with qualifying disabilities. Bookshare does require individuals to register as a member and provide proof of disability to ensure that only qualified individuals use the service.

Please visit www.bookshare.org for more information.

Random House Consumer Services

So, I went to Bookshare, which operates under the Chaffee amendment, a legal decision that would allow them to make disabled-specific materials available without getting clearance from a publisher.

My understanding is that if an e-book from Random House is at Bookshare (whether or not Random House participated in putting there...and they may have), it would be acceptable under the Copyright Office guidelines for them to block the TTS in the Kindle edition.

I confirmed that the site had text-to-speech enabled versions. I began searching for books that I knew were listed as having the text-to-speech not enabled. I checked about 20, skipping around to different titles. All of them were available through Bookshare.

Then I hit one that wasn't. The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki (an excellent book, by the way). It is published by Anchor, which is an imprint of Doubleday, which is a publisher of Random House.

That may be a fluke, though. It's possible that specific book is available from some other agency in a TTS-enabled version.

This will be a problem for a lot of people: the site requires (properly, under the Chaffee amendment) that users provide a proof of disability. Again, I think this is proper: the exception only allows the books to be made available to the disabled.

If, therefore, a Random House book is available through Bookshare, I think they have satisfied the Copyright Office guidelines. That means I would be denied text-to-speech (not having a qualifying disability) for Random House titles, which I wouldn't like, but would feel it was their decision. I think it's a bad decision, by the way, but it isn't illegal to make a bad business decision.

This may also explain the spotty nature of the blocked titles. Random House, which I would expect to have an excellent legal department, may have decided only to disable those where an enabled version is available from Bookshare (or another agency).

I need to study this more, but I thought I would share the preliminary exchange.

I also thank Random House for responding to my question.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #62
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Just FYI: These TTS-disabled books are disabled under 2.0.3 but not under 2.0.2 or earlier.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #63
zadriel
zadriel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
Just FYI: These TTS-disabled books are disabled under 2.0.3 but not under 2.0.2 or earlier.
So the obvious question becomes, HOW DO WE DOWN GRADE BACK TO 2.0.2?
zadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #64
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Here's a discussion about TTS technology from a legal viewpoint:

E-Books and 'Text-to-Speech' Technology
By Charles A. Gaglia And Thomas R. DeSimone
The Legal Intelligencer
June 30, 2009

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnolo...ech_Technology
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #65
DaniellY
DaniellY began at the beginning.

Device: Daniell
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadriel View Post
So the obvious question becomes, HOW DO WE DOWN GRADE BACK TO 2.0.2?
Created problem for myself. I wish i had read this thread before If I hadn't made the backup, I may have lost data and had to find it all again.
DaniellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert