Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
CollinLandis
CollinLandis is on a distinguished road

Device: none
New Author - free eBook! Strangities - Volume I

Hello Mobilereaders! I'm a new author testing the eBook waters, and I'd appreciate some feedback on my first eBook collection of short science fiction and horror, Strangities - Volume I.

Positive reviews and/or criticism are both welcome! Its in PDF form.

http://www.strangities.com

Thanks!

Collin Landis, Master of Self-Deprication
CollinLandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:47 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
CollinLandis

Thanks for the thoughts dadio! I appreciate the encouragement and the honest gripes.

Its interesting to me that you enjoyed some of the shorts I though were weaker. I'm gonna have to scratch my head about that for a bit.

But here's the million dollar question: did you feel sufficiently strange afterwards?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Got it, read it during lunch, loved it. I like quirky short stories with strange endings. And I'll be sure to never be in the office after 3:00am!

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
CollinLandis

Amusingly enough, I think Church of the Implant is the best of the lot as far as world building and entertaining storylines is concerned. But I find after a while of tinkering with something I lose perspective. Some of them, like "The Thing at the End of the Hall" I feel are weak, but I've been encouraged by some that its the best of the lot.

Just goes to show you never can tell what people will actually like. Thats why I thought I'd try my hand at releasing the collection free in the first place. At the end of the day I hope people are entertained by it. Thats my only and ultimate goal: new entertainment in a time where everything is re-hashed.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
CollinLandis

Thanks for the encouragement Dixie! My goal in the assembly of Strangities was for lunchtime reading.

Last edited by CollinLandis; 03-23-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
IMO (not so humble, unfortunately), your greatest strength right now is the ending. I'm very impressed that you seem to have a talent for ending the story just at the point where it leaves you wondering if the story is really finished. Like a good Twilight Zone episode.

Sort of like "The End?"

I think you are a very talented storyteller and I look forward to reading more from you in the years to come.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I did think about looking at this book; but when an 'author' can't even spell 'deprecation' I figure he's not really worth reading!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
CollinLandis

LOL! Great catch Bilbo. You win... a free copy of the book! pick it up at www.strangities.com!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
CollinLandis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I knew you were going to say that. It reads more like the outline for a novel than a story in its own right. IMO. I skimmed it again and I'm pretty sure there are no actual characters to identify with in it. Don't take this the wrong way but it REALLY reminds me of the sort of story I would have written in school. No pesky characterization or dialogue to get in the way of the big events.
No offense taken. I like to play around with different writing styles, which is where the stylistic choices for "church" came from. So I suppose, in that respect, it was successful. Thank you for your honest estimations about it.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a chance for an electronic copy in a reflowable format? PDF is not it. Sorry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
CollinLandis

Sure thing JSWolf. I've added an HTML version and a .doc version to the site. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so let me know if a different format is preferred.

In addition its also available for the Kindle over at Amazon.com and at Smashwords.com for a variety of other eBook readers.

Tags
ebook, free, horror, sci-fi, science fiction