Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Bebook January update available

I was just over at mybebook.com and there is a new firmware update for the reader.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Yep, I just updated.

Everything went OK and the files on the internal memory are still there.

The only change I see is that mobi formatting is much better. I think I will buy books in this format from now on.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I haven't updated just yet. I have been looking for something that lists the fixes in this new update, but haven't found anything. I am hoping there is better lit file support.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Ganwalf, over on the BeBooks forum, stated that page turning for LIT files was now faster (although 2 of 4 LIT files he tried would not open at all).

In the same post, ianblackburn said that Mobipocket support is improved, with proper spacing between characters now.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I haven't updated just yet. I have been looking for something that lists the fixes in this new update, but haven't found anything. I am hoping there is better lit file support.

Ellen
Unfortunately LIT doesn't seem to have got much of an overhaul.
The default font size is still to small and when magnifying it the pages don't reflow so you get a few lines on the next page. Words are also split over lines still with this format. For me it isn't usable.

Mobi got a great update though.
Last night I bought 6 books from BoB in mobi format and they all look great on the BeBook.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
In the same post, ianblackburn said that Mobipocket support is improved, with proper spacing between characters now.
Yup, Mobipocket looks good now. It's very readable, it's just not yet really usable: Apart from the configurability (more fonts, configurable font size, interline spacing, etc.) I have two major complaints about the Mobipocket app, both about the navigation.

1. Using the TOC is way more involved than it has any right to be, and it seems to be unreliable, too. The standard behaviour on the V3 clones is for the "7" key to bring up a navigable TOC, and then for 1-8 to select a TOC entry and for 9 and 0 to page through the TOC, and that's what it should do for Mobipocket, too. Having to switch on Follow Link to actually use the TOC sucks.

And for some books, it doesn't bring up the TOC at all, even if one is available. But that may be an issue with those books - the Mobipocket Desktop navigates to the title page (or to whatever page is immediately before the TOC?) for those same books.

2. Bookmarks don't seem to work. At all. But at least it remembers your current position in the book.

While they're at it, I wish the BeBook people would follow the example of previous lBook releases and use crengine for txt files instead of the Jinke txt reader. That way, PG text files would be readable directly without conversion...
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
2. Bookmarks don't seem to work. At all. But at least it remembers your current position in the book.
They do work for me. You press 6 (bookmarks button) and then press Ok. You can add or delete bookmarks.

It is not very straightforward, but it works.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
They do work for me. You press 6 (bookmarks button) and then press Ok. You can add or delete bookmarks.

It is not very straightforward, but it works.
*checks*

That's indeed not very straightforward at all. More importantly it is also, just like with the TOC, not how this works in the other reader apps. Since I as a user should not have to care which of the supported formats a book is in (apart from things that are simply not supported by the format, like a TOC in txt files) in order to use it, the biggest, most important bug for Mobipocket on the V3 clones seems to me to be the lack of user interface integration. There is, quite simply, no good reason why the TOC and bookmarks for Mobipocket books shouldn't work the same as in all other formats.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
wiffel
wiffel is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
I kind of like FBReader to read most of my books. And I like to be able to read Plucker files.

So, I patched the latest firmware from BeBook to include FBReader. (thanks to the previous work from Lunohod and iStealth)

I'm not sure if somebody is interested, but you can download it at :
www.tilient.net/bebook/V3update.zip

This patched firmware opens RTF, TXT, FB2, HTM and CHM with FBReader.

If you want to read plucker files with this firware, you have to apply a small trick. Zip the plucker file and rename it to xxx.fb2.zip. That way it will be opened by FBReader. (E.g. ABook.pdb becomes ABook.fb2.zip)

I guess this will just be a temporary solution for me. OpenInkpot seems to be making huge progress. So - most likely - I will switch to OpenInkpot shortly anyhow.

Wilfried

Last edited by wiffel; 01-27-2009 at 12:46 PM.
wiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Hodapp87
Hodapp87 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffel View Post
I kind of like FBReader to read most of my books. And I like to be able to read Plucker files.
So, I patched the latest firmware from BeBook to include FBReader. (thanks to the previous work from Lunohod and iStealth)
If you want to read plucker files with this firware, you have to apply a small trick. Zip the plucker file and rename it to xxx.fb2.zip. That way it will be opened by FBReader. (E.g. ABook.pdb becomes ABook.fb2.zip)
Thank you for this! I'm running it right now and reading some Plucker files.
I made a short script to handle the conversion you mentioned; just run the script with a list of filenames, e.g. "./plucker-fbreader-convert.sh *.pdb" and each individual file will be compressed as xxx.fb2.zip.
I haven't tested this script extensively, use at your own risk, etc. It's attached to this message, I hope.
Attached Files
File Type: zip plucker-fbreader-convert.zip (289 Bytes, 387 views)
Hodapp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
wiffel

If you want to change the way FBReader display things, you can change the UI.XML in the same way as mentioned in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22084

By the way, the trick also works for Mobipocket Files if you prefer to read them with FBReader.

The windows version of your script is a bit more involved. But - if you have the free 7-Zip program installed, the next line will do the trick (from within a .CMD file):

FOR /F "TOKENS=1* DELIMS=." %%F IN ('dir /b *.pdb') DO "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z" u -tzip "%%F.fb2.zip" "%%F.pdb"

Good luck,
Wiffel

Last edited by wiffel; 01-29-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #12
rafel2005j
rafel2005j began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I like this firmware with FBReader, it's the best i've tried !!!
Thank you very match

Last edited by rafel2005j; 02-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.
rafel2005j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffel View Post

I guess this will just be a temporary solution for me. OpenInkpot seems to be making huge progress. So - most likely - I will switch to OpenInkpot shortly anyhow.

Wilfried
Any plans to patch the Feb2009 update, or future BeBook updates with FBReader? If not, can you explain how you did it? I know OI is making good progress, but I still like the BeBook firmware, but FBReader would be nice to have. Thanks.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
edtng2
edtng2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
highlights and annotation

Some questions about BeBook that I don't think I came across reading the forum:
1) Does BeBook give you the ability to highlight and annotate files?
If so, can you do either in unlimited fashion, or does it restrict you to a certain number of time that you can do it?
2) bookmarking in BeBook -- can you do unlimited number of times as well, or is it restricted to a certain number of times, too?
3) Files that you have annotated or highlighted in BeBook -- will these show up and appear when you open the file in your PC?
I think these are the features that I needed most before I buy BeBook.
I am stongly considering either JetBook and BeBook and still hard at making a big decision due to cost.
Thanks for any input.
edtng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
wiffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Any plans to patch the Feb2009 update, or future BeBook updates with FBReader? If not, can you explain how you did it? I know OI is making good progress, but I still like the BeBook firmware, but FBReader would be nice to have. Thanks.
I did make a quick patch based on the Feb2009 update.
You can find it at
http://www.tilient.com/bebook/2009_feb/V3update.bin (55MB)
or
http://www.tilient.com/bebook/2009_feb/V3update.zip (19MB)

I didn't have a lot of time to test it, but it seems to be stable.

I also uploaded the script I use to make patches and the files needed for FBReader.
If someone wants to make his/here own patch (e.g. based on other firmware), he/she can find my script at
http://www.tilient.com/bebook/patching/wiffel03.sh
The files used by the script to include FBReader can be found at
http://www.tilient.com/bebook/patchi...date_files.zip

Be warned though. It can take you quite some time to get your linux in good shape, to find the needed software and install it to get this up-and-running.