Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
kdc311
kdc311 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
What is a Kindle screensaver?

Sorry I'm new to the Kindle world Is it just like a screen saver for a computer??
kdc311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
So far as I know it's purely ornamental, since the e-ink screen remains showing the last image it was instructed, kind of like an etch-a-sketch. An electrical signal directs the pixels (if that's the right term for them) to either display dark or not, then it uses little or no power. In fact I think you could tear the screen from the device and it would continue to show whatever image is on it, without power.

I may have gotten some details wrong, but point is it isn't a screensaver in the same sense as that term is usually used.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Jedi Beavis
Jedi Beavis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Will the images "burn" into the screen, unlike LCD? If so, that's where a screensaver would be useful.
Jedi Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As OtterBooks said, it has no power or screen saving purpose - but it is a full screen (600x800) image like a PC screensaver. It is an indication that the device is in low power mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Jedi Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
So far as I know it's purely ornamental, since the e-ink screen remains showing the last image it was instructed, kind of like an etch-a-sketch. An electrical signal directs the pixels (if that's the right term for them) to either display dark or not, then it uses little or no power. In fact I think you could tear the screen from the device and it would continue to show whatever image is on it, without power.

I may have gotten some details wrong, but point is it isn't a screensaver in the same sense as that term is usually used.
I see on your rep that "OtterBooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures." Are they the old ones from the 70s? I won a contest in 1979 where I got one each of every Star Wars toy available. My dad made me keep most of them in the packaging, and I eventually sold them.
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Beavis View Post
I see on your rep that "OtterBooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures." Are they the old ones from the 70s? I won a contest in 1979 where I got one each of every Star Wars toy available. My dad made me keep most of them in the packaging, and I eventually sold them.
that's just kind of a funny here at the forums. the little comments are kind of like chinese fortune cookies and related to how much karma you have
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Jedi Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that's just kind of a funny here at the forums. the little comments are kind of like chinese fortune cookies and related to how much karma you have
Oh, I thought it was something he put in there. D'oh!

By the way, KindleKitten, how you doin'?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Oh, I thought it was something he put in there. D'oh!

By the way, KindleKitten, how you doin'?
just dandy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Will the images "burn" into the screen
No. Screen "burning" was an issue on early CRT displays, but it's not an issue with more modern technologies, including e-ink.

As others have said, the so-called screen saver on a Kindle has no screen-saving ability, nor does it save power. Its only purpose is to serve as a quick visual indication that the device is sleeping.

Last edited by Mike L; 12-29-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I see on your rep that "OtterBooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures."
Ha. I've never noticed that. Incidentally I do not, though I used to have an original Darth Vader still in the package from the late 70s. I lost it at some point.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Darth isn't available at the moment but i did find Han Solo for sale.
Check it out if you are a collector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-War...#ht_500wt_1156
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote