Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
HandyAndy
HandyAndy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I've sent my message.

And I'd like to commend the Kobo team for their responsiveness and support for Linux.
HandyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

I have tried to pm a couple times and it looks like it goes through but I have nothing in my sent mailbox. So I thought I would post here as well.

I would like a a copy for my 32bit ubuntu system if you don't mind.

Thanks for showing support for linux.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
They've chosen a small amount of people to give the beta test to.
When they will feel confident, they will release a public link for betatesters to play with...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #19
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
I haven't bought a Kobo yet, but it's up there with the Kindle 2.

If Kobo adds Linux support (debian is fine )... and can get PDF zoom out soon enough, I might be more impressed with your response time.

grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
Dinodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
They've chosen a small amount of people to give the beta test to.
When they will feel confident, they will release a public link for betatesters to play with...
Are you saying they are not going to give it to anyone else until the beta testers have tested it?

This would be very disappointing, only reason I ordered it was because I found this thread and thought they were giving out the Linux version for those who want it. What good is the unit to me if I can't use it? Can you put books on the unit without using the desktop software?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
anidel
Zealot

No I am not.. just saying they gave it to selected testers (guessing based on their Linux distro) for a first round of test.. then they'll give it to eveyrone, I suppose.

I am only guessing, as I got it and others didn't....
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
Dinodoc

Ah ok, thanks for replying anidel.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
anidel
Zealot

You're welcome...
Simply be patient.. it'll come.
I feel sorry to have been selected when I see others that haven't... but, well, it's just an app and it'll soon be released for everyone.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #24
Dinodoc

Actually I see on further review that he does not appear to have been on the last couple days, last post was on Tuesday, maybe he's just been busy in the office and not had time to come in this thread.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
darkadept
darkadept began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I also would love to see them put out the linux app sooner rather than later. But in the meantime I am working on an app to sync between device and desktop app. You can check out the project here. It will also be able to remove items from the "I'm Reading" list and various other things like that. I'm using Qt to code it so it should be available in Linux, Windows, and if someone gives it a little love, Mac as well.
darkadept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
I have sent a PM.
Currently I'm struggling to get Windows on my Aspire One, so if I could just go back to Linux I'd be quite happy.
Try these links...

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-n...ery-dvd-online
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/downloads/
http://aspireonelinux.blogspot.com/
http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-...-one-apps.aspx
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks Techie42, I've gone back to Fedora 12 it runs better anyways and I figure even if the Kobo software isn't available on my aspire one, I can always another for that rare occurrence.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #28
Kicou
Kicou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 Red
It's nice to see that finally, Linux may have access to commercial ebooks! I have a Sony PRS-600 and was considering buying a Kobo Reader for my daughter (played with it in a Chapters store, I really like it, especially the black flavour).

I'd definitely buy ebooks if I could, but there is no way I am installing Windows or MacOS on any of my systems. BTW, I upgraded 3 of our machines to Ubuntu 10.04, it really makes a great desktop system, my 10 year old daughter loves it
Kicou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #29
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicou View Post
It's nice to see that finally, Linux may have access to commercial ebooks! I have a Sony PRS-600 and was considering buying a Kobo Reader for my daughter (played with it in a Chapters store, I really like it, especially the black flavour).

I'd definitely buy ebooks if I could, but there is no way I am installing Windows or MacOS on any of my systems. BTW, I upgraded 3 of our machines to Ubuntu 10.04, it really makes a great desktop system, my 10 year old daughter loves it
Have you considered running winxp or macos in a vmplayer image? VMplayer makes a nice sandbox to keep the little buggers islolated. I like to play the 'old' dos/windows games so I keep some vm images tuked away under my ubuntu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9TgMS7r78
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/detail...RqaCViZGVkZA==
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #30
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Does anyone outside of Kobo actually have a copy of Kobo Desktop for Linux yet?

I think they should release it officially, especially since it is apparently so easy for them to build. Having an official Linux app would make the Kobo the only ebook reader with proper Linux support, pretty much guaranteeing that a very large of Linux users will buy the device.

Actually running Linux on the device and releasing the firmware in a hackable format would make it even more popular, but as it is simply a Linux version of the desktop app would be awesome.
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software