Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4NT B
help! Kindle=Red eyes

Hi,
I'm an avid reader and I thought I solved my problems purchasing the Kindle 4nt B.

BUT

I was wrong

I tried to read about 2 to 3 hours a day on the kindle and my eyes became gradually red and painful.

I NEVER have this reaction when I read paper.

What am I doing wrong ?
What do you do to reduce the eye strain ?

Thank you...

Last edited by hola!claude; 01-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
hola!claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I really am surprised because I find the kindle so much easier and since it is not backlit, there should be no eye strain from the light. The only suggestions I have are to increase the font size and try to read in a lighter room. Perhaps that will reduce your eye strain.

Good luck,

k4k

Last edited by krazy4katz; 01-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
See your ophthmalogist. You probably have dry eyes and need artificial tears. I use them four times per day. Blinking every 15 minutes also helps. As we age, our eyes stop producing enough tears automatically especially if we stare at a PC screen or an eReader screen.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks sirmaru but I'm twenty-something and I'm pretty sure I do not have dry eyes...

What do you do to reduce eye strain apart from increasing the font size ?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Make sure you have enough light and that font size is not too small, nothing else.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You didn't say where you are, but in the Midwest the air is very, very dry right now in the winter, and I think dry eyes are a problem for people of all ages here.

I would also agree that you may not have enough lighting while reading. There is nothing about an eink screen that should cause any eye strain that would be worse than reading on paper for the same amount of time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola!claude View Post
Hi,
I'm an avid reader and I thought I solved my problems purchasing the Kindle 4nt B.

BUT

I was wrong

I tried to read about 2 to 3 hours a day on the kindle and my eyes became gradually red and painful.

I NEVER have this reaction when I read paper.

What am I doing wrong ?
What do you do to reduce the eye strain ?

Thank you...
When you read paper, your eyes are probably moving more, as you move the pages.
Try glancing up or around every few pages, or even on every page turn.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
When you read paper, your eyes are probably moving more, as you move the pages. Try glancing up or around every few pages, or even on every page turn.
Great tip! I think that could very likely be the problem and moving your eyes a bit should help. With a kindle there is a tendency to stare straight ahead with less eye movement.

I have also read that taking brief breaks every 30 minutes or so and focusing on something in the distance for a brief time can help. Good luck. I hope you're able to figure it out.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola!claude View Post
Thanks sirmaru but I'm twenty-something and I'm pretty sure I do not have dry eyes...

What do you do to reduce eye strain apart from increasing the font size ?
You're not blinking enough and red eye shows you're straining your eyes. You either need more light or a larger font. The K4B allows you to add a custom font using a Calibre plugin. You might try a more bolder font first before adding more light.

I've had dry eyes since my teens. Age does not matter. Drops can help. I never get red eyes though. Hubby does all the time when he plays his video games or watches TV or reads too much. I wouldn't say his eyes were dry though they look just the opposite.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's easy to not blink when reading on a kindle, for some reason. I trained myself to blink with every page turn, so I wouldn't be bothered by the screen flashing black, and that cured my dry eyes.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
...The K4B allows you to add a custom font using a Calibre plugin...
Hello Blossom...

What is that plugin called, please?
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Hello Blossom...

What is that plugin called, please?
It's called Kindle Collections and it works great for the K3 and K4. You can add one custom font.

For PW and KT there is a much easier way to add custom fonts, no Calibre needed and you can have more than one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Always helps me to drink plenty of water, otherwise I can suffer from dry eye.

Also, bought a Kindle Keyboard cheap recently for testing epub conversions, I notice that it has a more obnoxious e-ink flash than any of my Sony readers, that alone made my eyes more tired while I was checking my conversions.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I read never rub eyes with hands pr fingers
NEVER

squeeze eye balls by tightening lids only

I like to take wet cloth warm water best and gently rub face
and eyelids
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
hola!claude
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the great tips !

There are cold light(4000-6000 kelvin,more bluish) and warm light(2000 kelvin,yellowish)
What kind of light is best for the kindle?