Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think if Kobo communicates this kind of thing to me, and only to me, based on my history with the company, and doesn't use my purchase of vampire themed books to sell me land in Transylvania, I'm ok with it. That is, I'm OK with it as long as I can make another choice for the carousel--in my case it is to have the shortlist as my preference.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
BUG REPORT

As imsoawesome noted, I have the same BUG with menu items not being properly recognized with one press.

Eg, from Home screen - tap Home, then Library - Library gets hilighted black, but then just sits there locked, until I press it again, Then it goes to the Library, but has the second press in the buffer, and executes that second press right after, and actually opens the book that was under where the press was made.

Does exactly the same thing from Library when I press the View button, and the select one of the 3 options - the option selected turns black, and the device sits there until the choice is pressed again, then it changes the view, and opens executes the second press on the book that is at the bottom right, opening it.

I trust others will report the same, and I hope that the Kobo Dev's will release 1.9.17 IMMEDIATELY with this fixed, as it is a major pain!

Thank you

OH, and while you're at it, please add another option to the menu for the new new bar at the bottom of the home screen called HIDE, so one can turn it off. I have no use for it as many others and would like it gone.

The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
mighty_worm
mighty_worm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
I don't mind the new home page layout. As others have mentioned, it came up with my shortlist by default in the bottom bar after upgrading. But every time I synchronize, it switches to "Recommended for you", and I have to manually switch back to my shortlist to hide the ads.

That's annoying...
mighty_worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #34
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Just updated to 1.9.16. Somehow my device forgot my book font & font size settings? And my bookmarks/home page settings for the browser also disappeared Was I supposed to go through the setup again?

Most importantly: I absolutely HATE the new home screen! I hate the bottom bar, I don't want it, not with adds and not with shortlist. But worst: why make the navigation so clumsy? For settings, you now have to go VIA the "home" menu... but you're already on the home screen. That's just silly. I loved the way you could previously just tap "settings" or tap "Library" or "Reading life" or wherever you wanted to go straight from the home screen... now everything has to go via "home" first. It's ridiculous! It's one extra tap for everything you want to do! It like working with windows, where whatever you want to do, you have to via "Start", pfffft. *And* the home screen is more cluttered. Bad.

Please go back to the way it was.

In the mean time, could someone please tell me how to revert back to the previous version? I was SO happy with my new Kobo Touch (a birthday gift a week a go), now I'm so disappointed.

(I do appreciate the extremely faster page turns though.)

Tasmin

P.S. I just noticed, other languages than English have 24 hour clock! Please add that option for English language!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 12-23-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added request
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yay for keeping track of my private information and placing advertising on my full-price Kobo Touch. :/ *spit*

I won't be updating (fortunately, 1.9.14 is nice and stable for me) and Kobo certainly won't be getting any more of my money because of this.
They are NOT reading private information, they are going on what books you have already bought FROM THEM, they can't read side-loaded content. Almost all of my books are side-loaded so the recommendations doesn't really fit for me ( A bunch of books called Warriors with cats or something, which I've never read and will never read but other people who use my account have bought them)

The Shortlist bug is being fixed, or already has (I'm not totally sure.)
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #36
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Yeah, not impressed with the new homescreen. It's cluttered and now takes one more click to access everything in 'settings'. The main carosel should be (and always should have been, IMO) the shortlist. Having two carosels is pointless. Using up my bandwidth to advertise books to me is worse than pointless.

If I encounter any bugs in this FW at all I will be reverting to 1.9.14
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #37
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
How do you establish a Shortist? I would prefer that to having previews grouped in with my library but didn't know another way to keep a wish list. My new desktop options just include Recommendations, Featured and New Releases.

I don't mind the storefront look so much on the Kobo Desktop, especially if I could use it to follow the prices and keep track of books on my wish list. However, from what I've read, I really don't think I'd like the new homepages on the Touch.

If I keep my device on Airplane Mode, will that prevent this new version from loading? Version .14 downloaded just recently when I turned the wireless on and I'm quite happy with it.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #38
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
As imsoawesome noted, I have the same BUG with menu items not being properly recognized with one press.

Eg, from Home screen - tap Home, then Library - Library gets hilighted black, but then just sits there locked, until I press it again, Then it goes to the Library, but has the second press in the buffer, and executes that second press right after, and actually opens the book that was under where the press was made.

Does exactly the same thing from Library when I press the View button, and the select one of the 3 options - the option selected turns black, and the device sits there until the choice is pressed again, then it changes the view, and opens executes the second press on the book that is at the bottom right, opening it.

I trust others will report the same, and I hope that the Kobo Dev's will release 1.9.17 IMMEDIATELY with this fixed, as it is a major pain!

Thank you

OH, and while you're at it, please add another option to the menu for the new new bar at the bottom of the home screen called HIDE, so one can turn it off. I have no use for it as many others and would like it gone.

The REAL Joe
Strange. I do not see this behaviour. At all. Key presses take maybe a second to register but that's about it.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will get the new version if you connect over WiFI. or via the desktop. Now, on the Touch with WiFi on, the download will happen, but you are given a choice to install "later". I don't know how that plays out.

Chances are you will be happy with the new version, Moolyn. I believe that folks downloading it now are getting a version that lets them default to shortlist books in the carousel. You establish a shortlist by going into one of the library choices and pressing the heart, making it go from an outline, to a filled in icon. Those books appear in your shortlist. I use it for a selection of non-fiction books that I keep forgetting about.

From what I understand, Customer Care can tell people how to get the version with the bug fix. It has the same version number as the one released a few hours ago, so it will not automatically update to it for those of us who got the update early on. Maybe the instructions will find there way onto MR at some point.

Last edited by taming; 12-23-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #40
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Not happy that I can't get to my shortlist straight away from the main menu like I could in 1.9.14.
I put all the books I'm currently reading on my shortlist. Now I have to open library and change the library list to Shortlist instead, but it doesn't remember that choice.

I really don't like that bar at the bottom either. I really want an option to remove it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #41
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yay for keeping track of my private information and placing advertising on my full-price Kobo Touch. :/ *spit* ...
I found a new value in the file "[Drive letter where your Kobo is connected]:\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf" - the 1st line returned no value in the previous release, but now this line is crowded with tons of home phone stuff (including my special friends google-analytics.com), transferring at least 25 different numerical values. - Have a quick look at that line here. - I think the whole crap is intended for the recommendation feature. But who knows what kind of information is also encoded there...

BTW: Not happy too with the new home screen.

EDIT: To see this value in YOUR config file, just load a reading sample.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 12-24-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: See above ;)
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #42
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I really don't like that bar at the bottom either. I really want an option to remove it.
You do know that one of the choices in that bar at the bottom is the shortlist, right?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #43
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You will get the new version if you connect over WiFI. or via the desktop. Now, on the Touch with WiFi on, the download will happen, but you are given a choice to install "later". I don't know how that plays out.
Quite simply, if I understand correctly, the installation of the new downloaded version is started on the next switch on from full power off.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
I found a new value in the file "[Drive letter where your Kobo is connected]:\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf" - the 1st line returned no value in the previous release, but now this line is crowded with tons of home phone stuff (including my special friends google-analytics.com), transferring at least 25 different numerical values. - Have a quick look to that line here. - I think the whole crap is intended for the recommendation feature. But who knows what kind of information is also encoded there...

BTW: Not happy too with the new home screen.
Yeah. That just guarantees that I will never update the firmware of my Touch, connect it to the desktop software, or let it out of airplane mode ever again. Nor will I ever buy a new Kobo device or book from them.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
My Short List comes up after a boot-up....

Well, I have turned off the Touch three times and re-powered...with my Short List coming up in the initial power on. That will be fine. I have two other uses for the Carousel Function other than 'pushing' books---one view should be for our Notes, and the other could be for a fast call up to a Thesaurus!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote