Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #136
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I my experience the best way to learn these things is looking inside well formatted books, for example, Zelda's "Three men in a boat" or any book by Jellby. Feedbook's ePubs are also great.
I may just do that!
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #137
gsbe
gsbe began at the beginning.

Device: iOs
CSS template for ePUB with InDesign CS5.5

It would be awesome if there was a starting template designed for creating an ePUB with InDesign CS5.5.

I've looked at the ePUB ZenGarden for ePUB which is cool but doesn't have a lot of the common features that many books might want - like wrapped images, drop caps, etc.

I want my eBook to look great but I'm not a CSS wizard. Having a template for InDesign CS5.5 would be a great way to start eBook creation from scratch.

I was hoping that I'd find something like a CSS template for ePUB in this thread but not so. Anyone have something like this, a starting template for ePUBs? Could be a basic CSS or InDesign CS5.5 file.
gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #138
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can easily create a template for your own with the code snippets in this thread. It is usually better to only put the styles in the stylesheet that you are using to prevent redundant coding.
You don't have to be a wizard, most stuff isn't really complex. At least basic CSS knowledge is invaluable if you are creating ePUBs. Personally I am not to crazy about the stylesheets ID generates. The examples I have seen here on the forum has a lot of redundant code. I think most stylesheets can be reduced to approx. 20% with no impacton the display of the text.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #139
gsbe
gsbe began at the beginning.

Device: iOs
Question CSS and/or ID template for EPUB creation

The majority of the code in this thread relates to drop caps. I'm looking for a starter template, one that contains the majority of styles that most users are going to require. I suggested a few of them already in my last post.

Of course we all want an uber-clean stylesheet...but we also want to get the job done quick. Having pre-determined styles, especially in a WYSIWYG tool like InDesign, that correctly display in the exported EPUB would be a huge time saver for me. Once I set the styles correctly in ID, I can go back and tweak the exported EPUB to my hearts content. The template is a starting block to save time.

As I mentioned, the ePub Zen Garden begins this process by creating a blank template with pre-determined styles but is missing a number of the basic styles most designers would need.

Anyone have such a template they would be willing to post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can easily create a template for your own with the code snippets in this thread. It is usually better to only put the styles in the stylesheet that you are using to prevent redundant coding.
You don't have to be a wizard, most stuff isn't really complex. At least basic CSS knowledge is invaluable if you are creating ePUBs. Personally I am not to crazy about the stylesheets ID generates. The examples I have seen here on the forum has a lot of redundant code. I think most stylesheets can be reduced to approx. 20% with no impacton the display of the text.
gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #140
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can open any of the books I have uploaded and see the embedded styles, they are pretty much my "templates", although each book has its own little customizations. I don't use wrapped images, though, because I couldn't find a satisfactory solution that would work in all situations (big and small screens, landscape and portrait).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #141
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Anyone have such a template they would be willing to post?
You can start off with the one Project Gutenberg used for one of their latest ebook offerings, Ulster Folklore by Elizabeth Andrews and modifiy to suit your generic needs. That html ebook can be found here.

( It's etext # 37187 for GuteBook users... )

By the way, below is just a listing of their <styles> section embedded in their .html, namely:

Code:
    <style type="text/css">

<!--
    p {  margin-top: .75em;
         text-align: justify;
         text-indent: 1.25em;
         margin-bottom: .75em;
         }

body{margin-left: 10%;
         margin-right: 10%;
        }

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {
         text-align: center; /* all headings centered */
         clear: both;
         margin: auto;
         }
    hr { width: 33%;
	 margin-top: 2em;
	 margin-bottom: 2em;
         margin-left: auto;
         margin-right: auto;
       }

table {
}

.pagenum { /* uncomment the next line for invisible page numbers */
               position: absolute; right: 2%;
               font-size: 75%;
               color: gray;
               background-color: inherit;
               text-align: right;
               text-indent: 0em;
               font-style: normal;
               font-weight: normal;
               font-variant: normal;}

/* Chapter Start */
    .newpg {page-break-before: always;}
    .firstwords    {font-variant:small-caps;font-size:1.2em;font-weight:bold;}
    .firstLetter{
      display      : block;
      float        : left;
      margin-top   : -0.17em;
      margin-left  : -0.1em;
      margin-right : 0.4em;
      height       : 2em;
      }

.firstLetter span{
  font-size    : 3.33em;   /* use 3.33em for two lines */
  line-height  : 1em;
}

.firstLetter + span{
  margin-left  : -1.4em;
}

.chapsub {
     font-size:1.1em;
     font-weight:bold;
     text-align: center;
     font-variant: small-caps;
     text-indent:0em;
     margin-top:.35em;
     margin-bottom:.75em;
     margin-left: 5%;
     margin-right: 5%;}

.center   {text-align: center;text-indent:0em;}

.smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}

.caption {
      font-size: .7em;
      text-align: left;
      font-family: serif;
      margin-left:.8em;
      margin-bottom:.2em;
       }

.captioncenter {
      font-weight: bold;
      margin-top:.2em;
      margin-left:0em;
       }

.captionimage {
      font-size: .9em;
      margin-top:.3em;
       }

/* Images */
.figcenter   {
}

.alignright {
    float: right;
    padding-right: .4em;
    font-style:italic;
    }

/* Footnotes */
  .footnotes        {border: dashed 1px;margin-top:2em;}
  .footnote         {margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; font-size: 0.9em; text-indent: 1.5em;}
  .fnanchor         {vertical-align: super; font-size: .7em; text-decoration: none;}
  .fnanchorchap     {vertical-align: super; font-size: .5em; text-decoration: none;}
  .label { font-size: 1em; font-weight: bold;}

/* Poetry */

.poem {
    margin-left:15%;
    margin-right:15%;
}

.poem br {display: none;}

.poem .stanza {margin: 1em 0em 1em 0em;}

.poem span.i0 {
    display: block;
    margin-left: 2em;
    padding-left: 3em;
    text-indent: -3em;
}

.poem span.i0a {
    padding-left: 2.65em;
    text-indent: -3.00em;
}
.poem span.i2 {
    margin-left: 3.25em;
}

.smaller {font-size:.7em;}
  .toctext {text-align: left;font-size:1em; display: block; padding-left: 1.8em; text-indent: -2.5em;margin-left:1em;}

.linearound {
                     border-width: 2px;
                     border-style: solid; border-color: black; margin-left:10%;margin-right:10%;
                  }

.index {
          padding-left: 1.8em;
          text-indent: -1.8em;
        }

.indexstart {
          padding-top:.9em;
         }
 -->

</style>

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-25-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #142
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
They sure give up a lot of screen space with left and right margins (20%, 30% on poetry). Perhaps they are targeting computers rather than portable devices.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #143
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Perhaps they are targeting computers rather than portable devices.
you know, I think they still are...

... but seriously, they are still trying to reproduce the original book "page layout" without regards to smaller portable devices. My GuteBook pre/post processor eliminates a lot of these biases and substitutes my own as an ebook creator for portable devices...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
May as well delete that CSS from PG. It's awful. 10% margins? Who are they trying to fool? Even on a computer screen that's way too wide.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #145
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
May as well delete that CSS from PG. It's awful.
This is what I've replaced their CSS with after using GuteBook to create an epub ebook without wide margins, page numbers inserted into the text body, large pararagh/section breaks, etc... (Note: the code in Blue at the bottom was inserted by GuteBook to replace any previous style used by PG above it)

Code:
    <style type="text/css">

<!--
    p {  margin-top: .75em;
         text-align: justify;
         text-indent: 1.25em;
         margin-bottom: .75em;
         }

body { margin-left: 1%; margin-right: 1%; text-align: justify; text-indent: 2em; }

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {
         text-align: center; /* all headings centered */
         }
    hr { width: 33%;
	 margin-top: 2em;
	 margin-bottom: 2em;
       }

table {
}

.pagenum { /* uncomment the next line for invisible page numbers */
               position: absolute; right: 2%;
               font-size: 75%;
               color: gray;
               background-color: inherit;
               text-align: right;
               font-style: normal;
               font-weight: normal;
               font-variant: normal;}

/* Chapter Start */
    .newpg {page-break-before: always;}
    .firstwords    {font-variant:small-caps;font-size:1.2em;font-weight:bold;}
    .firstLetter{
      display      : block;
      float        : left;
      margin-top   : -0.17em;
      margin-left  : -0.1em;
      margin-right : 0.4em;
      height       : 2em;
      }

.firstLetter span{
  font-size    : 3.33em;   /* use 3.33em for two lines */
  line-height  : 1em;
}

.firstLetter + span{
  margin-left  : -1.4em;
}

.chapsub {
     font-size:1.1em;
     margin-top:.35em;
     margin-bottom:.75em;
     margin-left: 5%;
     margin-right: 5%;}

.center   {text-align: center;text-indent:0em;}

.smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}

.caption {
      margin-left:.8em;
       }

.captioncenter {
       }

.captionimage {
      margin-top:.3em;
       }

/* Images */
.figcenter   {
}

.alignright {
    float: right;
    padding-right: .4em;
    font-style:italic;
    }

/* Footnotes */
  .footnotes        {border: dashed 1px;margin-top:2em;}
  .footnote         {margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; font-size: 0.9em; text-indent: 1.5em;}
  .fnanchor         {vertical-align: super; font-size: .7em; text-decoration: none;}
  .fnanchorchap     {vertical-align: super; font-size: .5em; text-decoration: none;}
  .label { font-size: 1em; font-weight: bold;}

/* Poetry */

.poem {
}

.poem br {display: none;}

.poem .stanza {margin: 1em 0em 1em 0em;}

.poem span.i0 {
}

.poem span.i0a {
    padding-left: 2.65em;
    text-indent: -3.00em;
}
.poem span.i2 {
    margin-left: 3.25em;
}

.smaller {font-size:.7em;}
  .toctext {text-align: left;font-size:1em; display: block; padding-left: 1.8em; text-indent: -2.5em;margin-left:1em;}

.linearound {
                     border-width: 2px;
                     border-style: solid; border-color: black; margin-left:10%;margin-right:10%;
                  }

.index {
        }

.indexstart {
          padding-top:.9em;
         }
 -->

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {text-align: center }
    h2 { page-break-before: always; }
    p {text-indent: 2em; margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em;  padding-top: 0em; padding-bottom: 0em}
    br {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em;  padding-top: 0em; padding-bottom: 0em}
  </style>
Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
.poem has 15% margins? That CSS still needs a lot of work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #147
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
You can start off with the one Project Gutenberg used for one of their latest ebook offerings, Ulster Folklore by Elizabeth Andrews and modifiy to suit your generic needs.
I wouldn't recommend that. PG books are created in TXT and HTML formats, targeted mainly for computer screens (and there's no unified style, every creator does what he/she likes best). The ePub, Mobi, etc. formats are automatically created by a custom program, the result of which leaves often much to be desired.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #148
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wouldn't recommend that.
While far from perfect, it can provide some useful formatting, if you fix/correct the large margins.

I uploaded here my epub version of that PG html ebook Ulster Folklore by Elizabeth Andrews.

As a result, as you can see, it can be made to look very nice (with minor CSS edits) even on portable devices...
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #149
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
A comment:
with that kind of style-sheet (yes, I also convert from PG quite a lot) I cannot get the small-caps to show (desktop; XP; Calibre viewer) unless I add font-family: serif; to the declaration -- I used to need font-family: verdana, serif; until I updated to the "calibri, etc. pack".
Of course, I am using "default system fonts", and usually disable any others -- liking clear-type.
This is intended as a warning/request for information: is that a general issue ... ?
Of course, there are specific small-caps fonts, or font families with the variant included (I have found quite a few as freebies) -- but I should say many people, like myself, would rather stick to system defaults.
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #150
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is an issue with small caps. They are usually not supported in the readers, but they should. Currently your only real method is to include a small caps font.
Another method is the fake the smallcaps by reducing the size of capitals. However, that is not the same.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote